News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
I'm cringing at the thought of all those dinosaur animatronics being destroyed like the ones from Universe of Energy. Where exactly did Iger and his crew get the idea that people don't like dinosaurs anymore?
While I'm not a fan of the insertion of the Indy IP at DAK, if it's an updated and improved version on the DLR variant, then it is a step up from Dinosaur in terms of show and AAs.

I just wish DAK could get something more original, even it is were IP based and not a clone or updated clone version of something that has been in other parks.

tanc

I'd rather an original ride (or let's face it, a different IP) over another Indiana Jones, a ride I can ride in Tokyo DisneySea and Disneyland CA.

James Alucobond

A third is a mistake IMHO. A third is as expected IP based but got my attention. And a third is lip service.

Maybe.
I’m suppoooosing that if we’re going by the original plans and not focusing on the Tree of Life, the Dinosaur retheme is the mistake, Encanto is the IP that may be interesting, and the Tropical Americas-themed area itself with animal walkthroughs is the lip service, but that’s all dependent on whether or not what they’re doing matches what they suggested.

FigmentFan82

The long running rumor I heard (I can’t remember where I heard it) was that it was an entirely new “not cheap” attraction.
Could the Shanghai Pirates tech finally be coming stateside? A few years ago this site was buzzing that multiple WDW parks were fighting over which one would get the ride tech, with theme TBD, and then the rumors just fell off a cliff. I have no inside information but I personally think an Indy attraction with the Shanghai Pirates ride tech would be pretty darn awesome.

Also, I would like to see more Indy adventures on the big screen that don't rely on old man Harrison, so please cast Bradley Cooper as the new Indy thank you.

peter11435

I'm cringing at the thought of all those dinosaur animatronics being destroyed like the ones from Universe of Energy. Where exactly did Iger and his crew get the idea that people don't like dinosaurs anymore?

Apparently it's cheaper to replace stuff instead of actual expansion?

No more trackless dark rides, please. The novelty has worn off.

Attention, not a full-on replacement.
I don’t think anyone thinks people don’t like Dinosaurs anymore. But the science and understanding of dinosaurs has evolved and it is no longer believed that dinosaurs looked or sounded like those in the attraction.

FigmentFan82

I actually think DHS has the bigger need than DAK, but those are definitely the two parks that need new stuff the most. Issue is that both need additional capacity, not replacement.
DHS may need it, but people are skipping DAK altogether. DHS, while needing more, has Galaxies Edge as it's draw. Let's be honest, all the parks need more, but they're probably right to start with DAK

Nottamus

The last few years - Dinosaur, which is always one of my favorites in AKL, I mean, you could tell that things were breaking, and not being fixed.

It was close to just bouncing around with no lights for the whole experience.

So, I’ll miss it, but always welcome new and functional.

Let’s just hope it’s not a 7 year project.

Andrew25

DHS may need it, but people are skipping DAK altogether. DHS, while needing more, has Galaxies Edge as it's draw. Let's be honest, all the parks need more, but they're probably right to start with DAK
Bingo - DHS is my least favorite, but they have no problem packing in that park.

The last few years - Dinosaur, which is always one of my favorites in AKL, I mean, you could tell that things were breaking, and not being fixed.
It's ironic that the ride is currently in the best shape it's been in years now. Still has faults, but faring far better than a year ago

ToTBellHop

Disney has been testing the waters on this for years. Stage shows. A supposed broadway musical. And now a small production to see how it works on a limited stage. They even have a big event on disney plus to also test the waters.

That’s not testing the waters. That’s the best this company does on a short timeline. A longer build time will allow for something more substantial. There is no lack of faith in that IP.

cjkeating

It was close to just bouncing around with no lights for the whole experience.

So, I’ll miss it, but always welcome new and functional.

Let’s just hope it’s not a 7 year project.
Dinosaur has been in great shape for at least the past year. It went through a long rough patch when it felt like they had given up but then somehow they worked some magic.

DisneyDodo

There’s no chance Encanto will be a show (though I could see them replacing Nemo with Encanto years down the line to tie it in with the rest of the land).

It could be a walk-through, which would be quite disappointing. But assuming it’s a dark ride, I think an omnimover would make the most sense considering that Casita has 2 floors and WDI already has a ton of experience with the “omnimover through an enchanted house” concept. If they want to use creative liberty to flatten Casita into one floor, they could go with LPS and follow the Mystic Manor formula. A boat ride through a house doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense. EMV is next door so won’t be that. Won’t be slot-car since there’s not enough space nor need for speed. Busbar would work but they seem to have abandoned that system. Suspended could be interesting, though Pan seems to have a monopoly on it. Finally, it doesn’t match the concept art, but they could do some sort of coaster that winds through the rainforest with indoor show scenes in Casita à la 7DMT, though they really do need something more kid-friendly IMO.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Apparently it's cheaper to replace stuff instead of actual expansion?

No more trackless dark rides, please. The novelty has worn off.

Attention, not a full-on replacement.

The "novelty" of omnimovers has long worn off, but it's still a good ride system. I see nothing wrong with trackless ride systems. There are very limited number of truly unique ride systems so they are always going to get re-used.

James Alucobond

If they want to use creative liberty to flatten Casita into one floor, they could go with LPS and follow the Mystic Manor formula.
The first floor is just the interior courtyard with staircase, the kitchen, the salon, and the dining room. All character rooms are on the second floor, which provide infinite space to play with and would likely be the focus of any attraction.

Brer Oswald

The "novelty" of omnimovers has long worn off, but it's still a good ride system. I see nothing wrong with trackless ride systems. There are very limited number of truly unique ride systems so they are always going to get re-used.
There’s loads of problems with trackless:
- Warehouse like design with less intimate sets
- No elevation changes unless elevators are introduced (which cause several breakdowns)
- Issues with the LPS that cause a ton of downtime

Rise of the Resistance is proof that if you do anything slightly complex (or “Disney level norm”, if you will) you run into a ton of issues. It deterred Universal from using the system for the Potter MoM ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom