News 'Encanto' and 'Indiana Jones'-themed experiences at Animal Kingdom

Yeah, looks like they both do -- I didn't know either of them even had a prix fixe option. It seems like an add-on rather than the focus of the menu.

I'd have no problem with that, but Disney has been changing restaurants to prix fixe only over the past few years.
Absolutely agree. It's frustrating for me, as I have medical circumstances that require me to eat only small amounts at a time. I know that a doctor's note will provide me some accommodation, but with prix fixe meals in particular it's always a losing bet.

Purduevian

I assume the Prix fixe menu is another instance of "this is why we can't have nice things". At character meals or restaurants where the setting is a big part of the cost of the food, too many people must have been coming in to see it and just order an app to split between a few people.

Circling this back to Tropical Americas, I assume Restaurantosaurus, Dino-Bite, and Trilo-Bites will all be re-themed. A few notes on the dinning though:

1) There is currently no TS in the land
2) Restaurantosaurus is currently the generic theme park food in AK. Will they leave it that way or theme the food more towards the land? If they theme it to Tropical americas food (probably tex mex), where will the generic food move to?
3) There is currently a huge gap between these 3 and Trek Snacks (the next closest food stand on the asia route) will they add more with the expected uptick in guests to this area closer to Nemo?

doctornick

I consider all the prix fixe menus (well, other than Victoria & Albert's) a cash grab. Most guests are not getting their money's worth, either because the items they order aren't expensive enough if they were a la carte or the appetizer plus entree plus dessert is just too much food.

I understand the operational reasoning behind it at California Grill (even though I think there were other, better ways to fix the problem), but other restaurants don't have that specific issue.

I understand the operational reason for Space 220 as well, but still not ideal.

UNCgolf

I assume the Prix fixe menu is another instance of "this is why we can't have nice things". At character meals or restaurants where the setting is a big part of the cost of the food, too many people must have been coming in to see it and just order an app to split between a few people.

That's why they did it at the California Grill (people getting an early reservation, splitting a couple of apps, then staying there for hours to watch the fireworks), but there are other ways to fix that problem without going all out anti-consumer prix fixe.

I think they just saw an opportunity to increase profits.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

Circling this back to Tropical Americas, I assume Restaurantosaurus, Dino-Bite, and Trilo-Bites will all be re-themed. A few notes on the dinning though:

2) Restaurantosaurus is currently the generic theme park food in AK. Will they leave it that way or theme the food more towards the land? If they theme it to Tropical americas food (probably tex mex), where will the generic food move to?
3) There is currently a huge gap between these 3 and Trek Snacks (the next closest food stand on the asia route) will they add more with the expected uptick in guests to this area closer to Nemo?
I don't have any insider info here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Pizzafari shift to be the generic food location. It's a central spot, already has a large dining room. If my understanding is correct, the broilers they use for the pizzas are the same used for the burgers. Add some fryers for fries/chicken tenders, maybe extend a dining room out to hold more people, and boom. "New" quick service for generic American food. Pizza, burgers, chicken.

SilentWindODoom

I have tried BOG multiple tmes...Have been seated in everywhere but the Music Box Room... No one wants to sit in the basically unthemed cafeteria room... My first meal there was nice but it seems like the quality has gone down, and the atmosphere is not worth it. I would rather have them turn this into the BATB ride. Build that Tiana's Palace dining location...

The biggest challenge to the ballroom in my opinion, the thing creating the atmosphere it has, is the noise of hundreds of people. The problem is that the room itself in the restaurant and in the film is all hard materials. There's nothing to muffle the echo off the walls and that many people creates a cacophony.

Perhaps if a ride were to be added with the load in the ballroom and a reduced number of tables for dining (we always dream of more Blue Bayou-type relationships), the space could be utilized with less noise and we could enjoy still having both.

It's important to have a basic American restaurant in each park. With the loss of a USA land, the only reasonable location would be Discovery Island. Of the existing restaurants, it makes the most sense to add these options to Flametree. Of barbecue and pizza/pasta, the latter is the one with the widest appeal to the finicky children of the nation. Of course, it would be a shame to see, but it just seems to make the most sense. Would they be able to sell both out of Flametree without sacrificing too much of their current offerings. It's been ten years since I visited AK, but it was good the last time I ate there.

Speaking of my gap in visiting, looking at that area of the island, what is this whole complex off the beaten path? I remember eating at a spot out in back of Flametree, but this looks like a large amount of space and buildings.

1715282993908.png

Bocabear

They are the covered dining spaces for Flame Tree...since Flame Tree offers no seating. So they built a series of covered patios for dining on a few pathways...It makes for a nice setting.

ToTBellHop

Flame Tree would not be sacrificed. The plan is to offer American food for basic people from the kiosks around the park, particularly Smiling Crocodile and Eight Spoon with some standing tables plopped down. Those locations would also utilize Flame Tree’s seating. Otherwise, do it up fancy like we do at Epcot festivals and dine on a trash can.

The park already bleeds guests and they know that will worsen when Dinoland closes.

SilentWindODoom

They are the covered dining spaces for Flame Tree...since Flame Tree offers no seating. So they built a series of covered patios for dining on a few pathways...It makes for a nice setting.

Wow. It looks so big for that purpose, but that kind of extra bit is what makes people love this park. I feel silly not thinking of confirming this possibility by watching a review of the restaurant to see if the area is toured. Found it in the first one. The water feature really is a beautiful little spot.

Flame Tree would not be sacrificed. The plan is to offer American food for basic people from the kiosks around the park, particularly Smiling Crocodile and Eight Spoon with some standing tables plopped down. Those locations would also utilize Flame Tree’s seating. Otherwise, do it up fancy like we do at Epcot festivals and dine on a trash can.

The park already bleeds guests and they know that will worsen when Dinoland closes.

Considering what I've heard with many of the kiosks being hit-or-miss, I suppose it's for the best. I mean, it's obviously great to not lose Flame Tree. I didn't know if the kiosks would have enough kitchen to do burgers and such. The table situation is obviously an issue, but at least those two you mentioned are right in front of the Flame Tree tables.

Funnily enough, Smiling Crocodiles current offerings of tacos and chips and salsa would be perfect for switching to Tropical Americas. Meanwhile Eight Spoon offers things found at Flame Tree alongside a burger that can easily be retained when switching to burgers/fries/nuggets. It's actually perfect if it didn't seem that demand would likely swamp the locations.

Speaking of the current Dinoland restaurants... Trilo-Bites sells churros and a tropical ice cream. Keeping those and ditching the buffalo chips that I imagine frequently get switched out for would be easy.

As for the other two, the buildings are connected. Originally, I'd wondered if Dino-Bites had access to Restaurantosaurus's kitchen . Then with some added seating, it might be possible to turn it into counter-service and the other into table-service. But knowing that Smiling Crocodiles does what looks like a working Tropical Americas CS menu out of such a small footprint, it may not even be necessary to access the larger kitchens. Although, again, there's the matter of increased demand.

Of course, I'd love a little more expanded offerings than these tacos, especially since Mexican/Tex-Mex fare is so well represented across the parks and Caribbean/South American deserves the representation, but I'm looking at what I could expect them to do. At least they should add arepas to the tacos considering the nearby Encanto attraction.

Also, travelling through the land on Streetview to get a look at the restaurants really has reminded me how well-themed that half of Dinoland is. But I've already expressed more than enough that I'm firmly in the "Dinosaurs Belong in Animal Kingdom and They Should Just Replace Dino-Rama" camp.

Andrew25

Also, travelling through the land on Streetview to get a look at the restaurants really has reminded me how well-themed that half of Dinoland is. But I've already expressed more than enough that I'm firmly in the "Dinosaurs Belong in Animal Kingdom and They Should Just Replace Dino-Rama" camp.
Yup, I want Indiana Jones... but I wouldn't mind a refresh of Dinosaur either. Just feels weird for DAK to lose any form Dinosaur representation. BUT, I'd imagine they will find a way to keep it within the new Tropical Americas or relocated elsewhere in the park?

The pathway between Africa/Pandora (or the Dinoland bypass path) can fit a few Dinoland props.

As for dining, Harambe Market already served nuggets/tenders before, so I'd imagine that will be the new "safe option" at DAK.

Burgers served at Yak & Yeti quick service, so really not much else. One of the smaller kiosks can serve the hot dogs as well if they need to.

SilentWindODoom

Burgers served at Yak & Yeti quick service, so really not much else. One of the smaller kiosks can serve the hot dogs as well if they need to.

Was shocked to read this and went to check the menu. They have a Kobe burger which is almost twice the price of the 1/3 lb Angus burgers in Dinoland.

They do offer childrens' meals too. I wonder if childrens' meals take care of the need for simple foods. How much of the percentage of picky eaters are children and how many are grown-up children. I don't suppose there's any way to know that, though.

SpectreJordan

Yep. Because that’s one of the ways man interacts with nature. Exploiting it for economic gain. Just like seen in other areas of the park Dinoland balances two forms of mans interaction with nature. The science/research/conservation side seen at the Dino Institute and boneyard, and the exploitation/profiting/commercializing seen at dinorama. Unlike Africa and Asia where entrepreneurs can set up safaris and expeditions to capitalize on the natural world. Dinosaurs don’t currently exist so they turn to cheap roadside attractions profiting off of peoples fascination with them. And that’s truly how humans have interacted with dinosaurs. Either science and research, or pop culture/cheap tourist attractions.
It's a great idea on paper but it doesn't really make for a compelling land in Disney World. It seems like they only went that route because of budget concerns, so they found a thematic way to work with those constraints.

If they had more budget, I think it would've been cooler to showcase those themes through the "monster movie" version of Dinosaurs; maybe teaching guests that Dinosaurs were just animals, not the monsters they've been commercialized as.

V_L_Raptor

Oh no...Rafiki's needs to be completely replaced...after waiting for the train to get there and the thinking....why am I here ? An odd collection of leftovers from a regional zoo is what it felt like to me.... With the train as the means to get there it should be something amazing....Like a train into the Australian Outback...or anyplace you might really want to be other than a petting zoo. Yeah Yeah I know some people like it....It all feels like a missed opportunity for something truly special...

Considering what all it had before it became a wedged-in animation classroom, I'd say the opportunity wasn't so much "missed" as it was "swept out the door."

Chef idea Mickey`=

Absolutely agree. It's frustrating for me, as I have medical circumstances that require me to eat only small amounts at a time. I know that a doctor's note will provide me some accommodation, but with prix fixe meals in particular it's always a losing bet.
They both have both options Prix and regular. Prix fix is just you get more for the price.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom