Trip Report Yup, another holiday visit with Brifraz, LIVE!

It’s 11:45am on December 22nd, what have you been doing for the last 24 hours?

Well, if your are the Brifraz clan... you hosted/ran a concert in downtown Baltimore with 220 of your closest low brass friends. Yes, you guessed it, I am one of the coordinators for Merry TubaChristmas TuBaltimore. The event started with us setting things up in our rehearsal area at 1230 and then checking in those 220 friends, a brief rehearsal, and then the concert outside at the Baltimore Inner Harbor. While an obnoxious shot of all those tubas would be interesting for sure, I decided that I like this one of @MeffysMom watching the event.
B76ADCA0-9FC9-4ACA-9C90-4306A7B4AD95.jpeg

The concert wrapped up at about 4pm and we hoofed it back to our car and hit the road. Yes, direct from the concert to the road. Which, for those who haven’t followed us before, means about 14 hours of I95 goodness. Despite some really tough traffic (and a couple accidents) in Northern Virginia, we made pretty darn good time and were piling out of the car at Hollywood Studios at 6:15am.

Turnstiles opened at about 6:45am and once inside, we (along with a few thousand new friends) sat on the MDE App waiting for 7am to hit and a chance at Rise of the Resistance boarding groups. Score! Group #28, booked at 7:01am. Heard from others that they were all gone by about 7:20am this morning, but I haven’t corroborated that information with any sources!

Knowing that boarding group would likely be called between 8am and 10am, we decided to stay in Studios. First up, we headed back to Tower of Terror and enjoyed a ride with almost zero wait.
83FC47AD-4017-4891-B34A-C3F06C1AF86A.jpeg

After the ride, we debated doing Rockin Roller Coaster or waiting for something else, but decided food was a priority! In case I haven’t said it before, mobile ordering on MDE is the way to go. We headed to Woody’s Lunchbox, where there was a pretty decent line and since we ordered on the walk, our food was ready to go when we got there and we didn’t have to wait a minute. And we happily shared the holiday ‘pop tart’ and some tater tots.
C458465D-3887-4412-85EA-C740D1EFFBEF.jpeg

Now it was time for our first visit to Batuu. We had decided to just try to walk the area this morning and pretty much stuck with that. Get the lay of the land, get a few pictures, walk through some shops, etc. I’m currently reading the Black Spire novel which sets up the land, so it was fun to see a number of connections. And, of course, we had to get the PhotoPass picture.
F388337E-6A76-4364-8545-26E076B94603.jpeg

Oh, yeah. It was raining - not heavy, but consistent annoying drizzle. I’ve got our poncho trio hiding behind my back in this picture. Our boarding group was called at about 8:40am, so off to the ride we went. And, yes, what a ride it is. Pretty amazing stuff and thoroughly enjoyable.
3546AF6F-E2A0-485E-8BF8-8B3C922BE3FC.jpeg

After the ride, we had some FP+ to go enjoy at Animal Kingdom!
8C0FE7F7-677D-4D40-ADCA-47AAE5232D35.jpeg

FP+ for Expedition Everest was first up at about 10:15am, then we had FP+ (not really needed) for Finding Nemo, which we always love. And, for a change, we sat up toward the front.
54927AC4-DDC0-4D01-AF9C-A1583D722C70.jpeg

And were very pleasantly surprised to realize that the actor doing Bruce and assorted others was one of the old CMs from Adventurers Club, which we truly loved. Glad to see him still entertaining folks at Disney!

So, at 11:30am, we had hit a couple headliners at Hollywood Studios and a headliner and a major show at Animal Kingdom. Must be time to eat! See you soon.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Lunch today was a bit of a SNAFU. Back when our 6 month booking date opened, we were unable to book. So we had someone else do it for us. Sadly, they booked a 2-person table for brunch today at the California Grill. Which meant...well, one of us didn’t get to do the brunch.

The girls had an awesome time!
CEABBE26-C2E3-43B7-B9F9-09E59F2C8A82.jpeg
9E52895D-6701-4DCB-8BA0-95C2E894CA4B.jpeg
ACB8D9EA-0FD7-4C5F-8DBF-C87C5461271D.jpeg
1F977CDC-63BD-4379-99AB-99EB80F01608.jpeg
0820F03A-5911-4065-AD6B-8AD634598AFD.jpeg

78EB433A-2E5B-41AC-AD08-65F9DF98F085.jpeg
1E00FAAF-1947-48CB-AB35-D1FE7B9A5A13.jpeg

Meanwhile, I unpacked the car at our room at Old Key West, put up some Christmas decorations, and made a quick trip to the grocery store. Oh, and don’t let me forget my lunch! Sorry, no pictures of the cold pizza that made the trip from Maryland with us.

After lunch, the girls checked out some of the Christmas decorations at the monorail resorts...
E8C07308-3FEA-499D-9B25-C559616DE446.jpeg

3FDBCD20-EBCA-4AA2-956B-8E5435CBC17B.jpeg

4CE9DBAB-37F9-4E9C-926B-8765DCDDB7C2.jpeg

And then I picked them up and we all came back to the room for some much needed rest. The girls both napped, while I just relaxed for a bit. But, no real rest for the weary as we needed to get back to Hollywood Studios!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Why on Earth would we be going back to that insanity for the evening after spending the early morning there? Why, reservations at Oga’s Cantina, of course. Yes, getting our full day of Star Wars nerdiness our of the way early (so, so maybe we will be back on Batuu tomorrow and again Thursday, and then maybe again later in the week).

Oga’s was a blast. Our server was fun and politely laughed at my pathetic dad/Star Wars humor when ordering drinks. The music was a lot of fun as well and the staff certainly made things lively throughout our visit.
2AFD8D5C-5296-4D9D-B6F2-DD6F17D1FCD1.jpeg

We just had one drink each, but are planning two more visits on this trip and will get through a bunch more of the menu!
FD5B8756-B490-4C74-8F9C-B53C564A2425.jpeg

Fully lighted, we had about an hour before the first family member’s Magical Express from the airport would arrive, and the Millenium Falcon Smuggler’s Run only had a 40 minute wait... why not?!
10956312-C95E-45C8-986C-D053D89BAC4E.jpeg

Perhaps not quite as awe inspiring as Age of the Resistance, but a lot of fun. The pilots on our mission were pretty slack, so we crash a few times and didn’t really manage to complete much of the mission, but that made it all the more fun. I definitely feel like there’s a good level or re-ride-ability with this one.

Once we had left the Millenium Falcon in safer hands (Chewbacca, of course) we headed back to Old Key West to grab some dinner (a bit late for us at 8pm) at the Gurgling Suitcase - and maybe a drink as well. Now it’s time for some VERY well deserved and much needed sleep.

Tomorrow, the rest of the family who are coming down arrive and we have plans at Magic Kingdom and surrounding area. See you there!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Wow, from your pictures it really doesn't look insane. glad you are having a good time
Yesterday wasn’t too bad. Magic Kingdom this morning was pretty light, but now is nuts. Done this season enough that we tend to only do mornings and the EMH later in the day.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, let’s chat about this morning in Magic Kingdom. Well, first, let me give you the lowdown on our group. The regular crew is myself (high school music teacher), @MeffysMom (high school English/drama teacher), and our daughter (high school student). But for this trip, we are being joined by @meffysmom’s parents, aunt, sister, and nephew. When all together, that means we have a party of 8, but I suspect the times that we are all together will likely be a bit limited.

This morning in Magic Kingdom it was just our core trio and we caught the bus around 7:15am and were shocked to find it quite empty. Usually that EMH bus around the holidays is packed, but we suspect the rain and the Rise kept people in other places!
A6D12D56-4907-4B15-B8D6-4313FBCE35F8.jpeg

That got us to MK about 7:40am.

06BEADF9-C7E9-4CF1-B3BC-A35BB80D2806.jpeg

Today was morning EMH, so we could go anywhere we wanted, but since we didn’t get there at rope drop, we weren’t rushing to any headliners. After the previously pictured rainbow, we headed to Peter Pan and only had to wait about 15 minutes (despite getting in line almost right at 8am). Next up was a ride on It’s A Small World which we pretty much walked straight onto a boat for.
CC626637-A453-4F86-9BF1-8E28181B1A04.jpeg

After some debate, we decided to go West and visited the Haunted Mansion, again with almost zero wait time. We weren’t really up for Splash Mountain in the rain and Big Thunder was not all that appealing either, so we headed to the Jungle Cruise. Wait was showing at 20 minutes and changed to 30 almost right after we entered - they even did an announcement that the rampaging butterflies had slowed the line up. We still were touring the rivers after just 20 minutes of waiting.
7633DD94-37A0-41C6-8635-D83011E90283.jpeg

Next up was a little treat - the I Lava You Float at Sunshine Terrace. Delicious!
4B65428D-E45D-4CF8-A34F-B8C24FEE381A.jpeg

...and photogenic!

We then decided to go do Pirates since it was only showing a 20 minute wait. Which was pretty much right on. Figured it was about time to head out and wake up the rest of the family but had to get a photo on the way out. And... timing is everything!
F9CDBC82-51D9-4F9E-9DFB-3B27A07E5C82.jpeg

Too bad about the sun in our eyes! But still a pretty cool shot.

On the way out, we ran into these two friends - which was a bit of a surprise since we didn’t know they were doing greets now.
5CFDBDF0-F954-41A3-B71D-5D41C38E6A02.jpeg

And we found ourselves back at the room by 11am. Pretty solid morning for 3 hours in the park during Christmas week - 5 attractions, a snack, some shopping, and just general taking our time about things.

Back at Old Key West, we gathered everyone and headed up to the main hall of OKW to get some lunch at Goods to Go and Gurgling Suitcase and then relax in that area. It’s just 3pm now and we are headed to Magic Kingdom for a few rides before we split up for Dessert Party for the younger folks and their Aunt, and dinner at the Wave for @MeffysMom, her parents and her aunt, and myself.

See you soon!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
About 6 hours later and we are full of good food and waiting for MK fireworks!

Caught the bus to MK at 3:30 and once again, had it to ourselves. Likely because of some pretty decent rain.
2803755A-2617-4EE7-8236-FEDB8E42277B.jpeg

Our first full crew time in the parks and we just did our trio of FP+. Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, and Pirates. Thanks to some great FP+ manipulation, we did all three in about an hour and a half.

Then we split up again as planned and my group really enjoyed dinner at the Wave while the other crew went to Grand Floridian to check out the gingerbread house. Now we are at Top of the World and they are at the dessert party. Catch you later (with more pictures).

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Not a whole lot of pictures or more to add from last night, but it’s just after 6am and I think everybody is still asleep, so here’s what I’ve got!

First off, back a little ways into the afternoon and a shot of us all (you have to look REALLY closely) on Buzz.
94216EB2-530F-40BF-8696-163389E8EE48.jpeg

Sadly, we forgot to get food pictures at the Wave, but I can assure that the plates looked very nice and the food really was excellent! We haven’t been there very much over the years, but we certainly have enjoyed the quality of food when we have. At the Top of the World lounge, we just got some drinks and then relaxed and waited for the fireworks. Since the rain had pretty much gotten through, the temperature dropped quite a bit and there was a very chilly wind. Everyone who was up there waited until pretty much the last minute or so to go outside, but as always the view was rewarding. This was our first time seeing the next Holiday fireworks and we really liked them. Enough that we are hoping to figure out a night later in the week to go see them from the front.
4E84D7B4-5C3E-46A6-BC0B-27FCB1F8756E.jpeg

As soon as the fireworks ended, our crew headed to the Grand Floridian to check out the gingerbread house while the team inside Magic Kingdom finished their desserts and then just wandered toward the front of the park. The monorail was pretty packed, but we did manage to ride over and see the house and then ride to Magic Kingdom in by 11pm.
16BEF1B2-CB3A-46D0-A5EC-2D41BC9D2565.jpeg

We fully reunited for about 10 seconds before a new split started. @Meffysmom’s parents, aunt, and sister headed back to the room for the night while our core trio plus nephew stayed in Magic Kingdom for a quick nighttime ride of the Jingle Cruise, which he had not done before. And we all enjoyed (as always). Plus we managed to get a pretty good group shot in front of the castle.
F91E44EF-C1B3-4EB3-B8E3-AF7445C67F7B.jpeg

Now, it’s time to start getting ready to head to Epcot for rope drop! I’ll leave you with the beauty of the snow/ice covered castle.

C32D2124-14F7-412A-9C55-1DBD97FA6B47.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom