Pre-Trip You're the State Champion! What are you going to do next? ?? (Completed)

Hi guys! I'm Jennifer. It's been almost three years since my last trip report, but this will be my first report on this board. It may be a little rough at first as I relearn how to do this, but bear with me!

So how did this trip come to be? Well, meet my son, Cameron.

20150228_094820.jpg

That's him winning 1st place at a meet earlier this year. Cameron is a gymnast. Now, when I say that, let me be more specific. Cameron competes in Power Tumbling and Trampoline. He isn't an artistic gymnast like you see in the Olympics. So what exactly is Power Tumbling and Trampoline? Its this:

But that video isn't why we're going to Disney World. Its the starting point. Junior Olympics, or Nationals, as we call it, is in Greensboro, N.C. this year. We're from Texas. Anybody doing the math here, yet? Yes! Orlando is sooooo (not) on the way home! Now, all thats left to be done is to qualify for Nationals, convince the husband, and make the trip!

So let's back the story up to the VERY beginning. The dates and location for Nationals came out in October. (Greensboro, N.C. June 21-28). One small glitch, JO Nationals is divided by age and level. Nationals for level 5-7 are in Ft. Worth, Tx. Cameron started the competition year on Level 7. So, now he had to hit a mobilization score to Level 8 in all of his events before the State and Regionals meet. Then at State or Regionals, he had to compete at Level 8 and hit a National qualification score. No biggie, right? Right. I was completely confident in him and asked off of work back in December. Our competition season doesn't even begin until January!!!

Sure enough, the kid delivered! First competition out of the gate and he mobilized to Level 8 in two of his events Trampoline and Double Mini! WooHoo! he came close to mobilizing in Tumbling too, but he was just short. Rats! So the season rolls on....and now I have to go to work so I shall leave you hanging! Lol. Will he make it? Or is my title all hype?

Spoiler alert: We don't yet have the complete answer to the above question!!!!

Attachments

• 2015-02-28 09.48.19.jpg
    2015-02-28 09.48.19.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 2015-02-28 09.48.19.jpg
    2015-02-28 09.48.19.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 22

jingle7147

Original Poster
Photo1030FourBySix.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Argh. So I am back home which is great, but my son reminded me of something after practice last night. He is scheduled to compete on Saturday and Sunday of next week, but that could change. Apparently, they have no qualms about moving your competition time up by an entire DAY! So, I spent last night cancelling all of our reservations for the trip out and rebooking them. Now, instead of leaving on Wednesday and driving to Little Rock, Ar. We will leave Tuesday night and drive to Oklahoma City, Ok. Then on Wednesday we will drive to Nashville, Tn. and finish up our drive into Wake Forest, NC on Thursday. No scenic drive through the Great Smoky Mountains for me. No stay in Gatlinburg. Boo. Its a good thing I have Disney World to look forward to on the back end of the trip. The other good news is that the coach gave Cameron a new pass on his double mini that will max out his difficulty score. Coach seems to think he could place top 8 if he runs it and sticks the landing. Awesome I say!

Let's get back to our countdown, shall we?

9 Photos I want to take

9. Pop Century- who could resist taking pictures with all of the oversized icons?
8. The entrance to Tomorrowland.

7. The Rose Garden
6. Spaceship Earth/Epcot Entrance
5. Fountain of Nations
4. MK Train Station
3. Splash Mountain
2. The Partners Statue
1. The Castle- of course!

Since we're a few days behind....

8 New Experiences we're looking forward to

8. J
ungle Cruise after dark
Meeting Gaston- We're going to see if we can wiggle this one in there somewhere, but this may still be on the bucket list after this trip!
7DMT- this will probably be our only time on this coaster. We'll see. I just don't perceive it as being a must-do on every trip.
Eating at Via Napoli-yummm, my mouth is already watering.
American Adventure- last trip we caught Voices of Liberty and they were ahh-mazing of course. This time I want the full experience.
D-Tech-new phone case!!!!
Festival of Fantasy- those costumes!!!
Staying at Pop!

You talked me into it, one more, because who doesn't love lists?

7 Shops

The shops of the UK. Cameron is hoping to find some Dr. Who stuff still hanging out there.
The Emporium on Main Street- Can you really say you've been to Disney if you don't at least walk through here?
Disney's Days of Christmas- We have to get our new Christmas ornament!
Mousegears- We could literally waste a couple of hours in this store.
Basin- BATH BOMBS!!!
World of Disney- Another store that could take up the better part of an evening.
D-Tech- Okay so you saw this on another list . I don't care! I'm excited!!!

Alright. That gets us close to caught up. We have 5 days until we leave! Now, I must go do laundry. Otherwise, we'll be going to Disney nekkid!:jawdrop:

jingle7147

Original Poster
Alright, I know I left y'all hanging for a couple of days, but I had to have a break from the whole trip. I talked to the coach. Our original travel plans were fine!:banghead::jawdrop: I was so frustrated. I really wanted that drive through the Great Smoky Mountains, plus our original hotels were cheaper. I did eventually get it all sorted back out. Lesson: NEVER listen to a 12 year old.:confused: Well, we leave in THREE days! Let's get caught up on our lists shall we?

6 Good Eats
Sunshine Seasons- I think we'll do this for dinner on our Epcot day.
Aloha Isle- Oh yummy DoleWhip.
Columbia Harbour House- Dinner on MK day.
Sleepy Hollow- Lunch at MK
Via Napoli- Celebration lunch at Epcot. Cameron loves pizza as his go to meal for a celebration after a good meet. So this is going to be it.
OHana's- Cameron and Stephen love Lilo and Stitch. We had this breakfast in 2009 on our first trip on our departure day. I thought I would pick it up again as a fun reminder.

5 Shows/Parades
Dapper Dans- I just love these guys and I hope I get the chance to see them.
Voices of Liberty
3. Festival of Fantasy- The costumes!!!
Magic Kingdom Welcome Show- Good Morning! Good Morning...to youuuuu
Wishes- Starlight, Starbright, first star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might..!

4 Meet and Greets
Ohana Breakfast
3. Gaston
2. Tigger- I really hope Cameron medals. Cause this would be a great interaction. i have this song on my Disney Classics album "Whoop de Dooper Loop de Looper Alley Ooper Bounce" Some people listen to Eye of the Tiger from Rocky before a competition. We listen to this! Bounce High Tigger!
Mickey-my boyfriend.

3 Modes of Transportation
Car- duh. We are driving. We'll probably use this to get to Epcot and then on our last day of course for breakfast at Ohana's before we head out.
Bus- Ok. Honestly, I don't like the Disney Bus System. I think its faster for getting to MK and DTD (since there is construction there right now), but I'd rather just take my own car. I was going to put the Friendship Boats in this slot. Until my husband says to me last night (totally out of the blue) "I really liked riding around in the busses." ????:eek: Oh well. Its Disney. There's something for everyone.
Monorail- I need to check because in my welcome email they mentioned that the monorails may not be running?????o_O

So that's it. Happy Father's Day everyone!

jingle7147

Original Poster
Leaving in 2 DAYS!!!! I took Lauren to camp this morning. She's happy as a clam to be missing Disney. (Weird kid). Stephen got home from my parents last night, courtesy of my cousins who were out on that side of the state anyway. I just picked up their youngest child and will probably take everybody swimming. I've got to leave in a few minutes to go pick Cameron up from practice. I haven't decided if I'm going to let him go to practice tomorrow or not. The good news is I have $400 more than I thought I had. Of, course I still have to pay gymnastics tuition for next month so..... All in all though I'd say the trip is coming together. I'm going to start packing tonight. Which is kind of funny, because I usually have my laminated packing list out a month ahead of time and am a packing fool. So the fact that we're two days out and I'm just starting to think about packing is crazy.

Our list for today:
2 Celebrations

2. Nursing School- I am going back to school in the fall to get my nursing degree. This has been in the works for 5 years. Everytime it got time to apply I would chicken out. I just really had to make sure it was something I was committed to and wanted. So in August I will start a 2 1/2 year journey towards becoming an R.N.
Junior Olympics (Nationals)- regardless of the outcome, it will be an experience that he can always be proud of! (Unless, he does something stupid.:p)

jingle7147

Original Poster
Well, its the end of the day. I'm not packed and I changed the itinerary and hotels again. another cancellation another booking! I could've saved $8 on the booking, but I wouldn't have free cancellation. I wasn't willing to risk it lol. I made the change because I had the opportunity to see an old friend from when I marched Drum and Bugle Corps in highschool. He is a minister just like my husband. From everything I've heard his wife is an absolute sweetheart so I'm excited for this meet up! Oh and did I mention that one of our former youth is living in Orlando> She may come and meet up with us on one of our Disney days! Finally, our friend from home who is working on the Jungle Cruise got his schedule. He is working the day we're in MK so we're hoping for a bote skippered by the Great Zaxby! Alright, off to bed. Tomorrow I HAVE to get packed! Lol....and stop changing our itinerary!

jingle7147

Original Poster
20150624_065524.jpg
About to walk out the door! I went to put one last bill in the mailbox. I guess we didn't check out mail yesterday because look what was waiting for me! Mickey mail from our TA! Alright, as soon as I drop the oldest off at swim practice we're off!

Thanks for reading along! 1200 vit was is way more than anything I'd imagined! I'll post a couple of pictures here along our trip, but hopefully I'll be able to do a full trip report when I get back.

jingle7147

Original Poster
20150624_073255.jpg
Here we are about to leave this morning at 7:30 am.
20150624_081454.jpg

This is what west Texas looks like.
20150624_114900.jpg

We stopped for lunch outside Oklahoma City. DH brought a camping stove to heat water. The boys had Ramen Noodles. DH and I had protein shakes. It was cheap and quick!
Flat prairie soon gave way to green trees and rolling hills in Oklahoma. (I had a picture, but it won't upload. ):cool:
Finally, we pulled into Little Rock, Arkansas:
Okay, what's the story? How come I hit upload file, choose my file, and then nothing happens? It thinks about it, but never shows up under attached files?

Well, anyway, we got to Little Rock about 5p.m. Dominoes Pizza and The Incredibles (on Disney Channel) is all that's on the agenda for tonight. Early wake up call in the morning. I want to be on the road by 6:30 am. It's a long way to Newport, TN.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom