your thoughts - AKL verus Polynesian?

disneybonbon

Hello - I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to which hotel is preferable, AKL or Polynesian. The AKL would be cheaper, but I would love to stay in a Magic Kingdom resort (on the monorail and close to the park, etc). But, then the AKL is so much newer than the Poly (although I think they've refurbished recently). So I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any opinion as to whether the location of the Poly is worth the difference in price (the biggest factor), considering theming, age of the resort, etc.

I did a search for some thoughts on the resorts, but I'm mostly interested in if the difference in price is worth it. (With the discount code I have, it would be a little over $300 difference in total price.)

Thanks for any thoughts!

Lauriebar

For me the difference in price is worth every penny due to the Poly's proximity to the MK and the Ticket and Transportation Center. We have found that the monorail resorts are so convenient and open up so many options. The walkway to the TTC is great for the days you go to EPCOT because you can walk right over and hop on the EPCOT monorail in five minutes.

As for atmosphere, both resorts are spectacular. I don't think that the Poly shows it's age at all. AKL is such a beautiful resort and we always visit it for a meal on our trips. We just don't like to ride the busses more than we have to and the Poly helps us out with that.

Between the two you can't make a bad choice.

Upvote 0

NTI2002

My family and I stay at the Poly every tiem we go to WDW.
It has, by far, one of the most relaxing atmospheres of ANY hotel or resort I have ever stayed at.

I wish I had info about animal Kingdom Lodge. hee hee I erally want to try it out, but my family and I are just addicted to the Poly. Maybe one day if I can go with a friend I'll try it out. Or maybe even "resort hop" between the two.

Upvote 0

darrin933

Spend The Extra Money The Poly Is Great! Monorail,beach, Wishes,boats,the View And All The Time You Save! I Love The Poly! Lagoon View In Tuvalu On The 3rd Floor, Oooohhhhh Yyyaaaa!!!!

Upvote 0

askmike1

I can't say anything money-wise, but for themeing, I'd easily pick AKL over poly. AKL is probably the most beautiful resort (& most themed) on property. Imagine standing on the balcony just a few feat away from a gazelle. The inside is amazing. Transportation should not be a problem as Disney busses are good. Plus, Boma is one of the best resort restaurants around (second only to Chef Mickeys)

-Michael

Upvote 0

polynesiangirl

Poly! It's worth the extra money, in my humble opinion: the location is top notch and the grounds are absolutely breathtaking. Never had a bad experience there, and I've never felt like I didn't get my money's worth. We love the whole "getting-right-onto-the-monorail-in-the-morning" setup.

AKL, of course, is also a lovely resort - and cheaper, as we've all mentioned, so if money is an issue then that's a point in its favor. The Poly is just more my *style* I guess - I like the tropical themeing and I love Hawaii/Hawaiian decor so it's right up my alley. It's like getting an island vacation AND a Disney vacation all in one. :) When I actually did go to Hawaii I was so impressed with how well Disney had replicated the experience at the Poly, right down to the smells!

That said, either one is great, and I doubt you would be disappointed in either of them. Happy planning!

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

If you aren't concerned about the money, then I would go with the Polynesian. It has a great atmosphere and it offers everything you want (close proximity and monorail access). AKL is very nice, but it is somewhat out of the way and won't give you the other things you are looking for. Remember that you can always go to the resort to eat and check out the Savanah's anytime you want so you don't have to stay there to take advantage of those benefits. Weigh your options and make sure you do what will really benefit your vacation.

Upvote 0

DisKid

If price were the issue, I would say go with the AKL.

But, if you do want to be close to the Magic Kingdom, but not pay the price for Poly, I would add the alternative of looking into the Wilderness Lodge!!! The Wilderness Lodge is a wonderful resort! And it is in the exact same price range as AKL. True, it is not on the monorail line, but the boat gets you there just as quick!!!

Upvote 0

IwishIliveinWDW

Since you ask...My thoughts are simple. If I was prepared to sacrifice my childs college educations, I would stay at the Polynesian in a heart beat over any hotel on the property. The location (walking distance of TTC is huge) makes it desirable. What makes it more desirable? From the moment you walk into the Great Ceremonial House till the time you get to your room...?? A lot! So, if money was not the issue (which it always seems to be in my case), I would stay at the Polynesian..

The AKL sounds great, probably is great and I have yet to stay there. But, the simple fact that I, and my family, would have to wait for the bus to get up and go where we wanted, just makes it a little more of a drag.

Upvote 0

vilegirl

I've stayed at both and I love both, but there's just something really special about staying at an MK resort. Some of it is definitely the ease of transportation, but for me - there's just something oh so magical about it. I absolutely love all of the MK resorts. The Poly is my favorite, but WL is a very, very, very close second.

AKL was a wonderful experience and I definitely want to stay there again. The bus transportation was good, so I have no complaints about that. We had a great savannah view room and waking up in the middle of the night to watch giraffes right outside the room was amazing!

So basically, you can't go wrong with either resort. If it was my choice, I would pick the Poly simply because it's an MK resort. But as someone else suggested - if you want an MK resort without the price - how about WL? It's a beautiful resort!! And even though it doesn't have monorail access, I've always had good luck with the boat and buses. :)

Finally, if you have the time and the desire, split up your stay and stay at both resorts for a few days. That way you don't have to make such a tough decision! :lol:

Have fun!!! :wave:
-Linda

Upvote 0

disneybonbon

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice!

I ended up deciding in favor of AKL, mainly to save some money. I'm taking my brother for his graduation, and although both of us would love to stay right by the MK and TTC, the transportation isn't too big of an issue for us. We were going to stay at Pop Century (my first time in a value resort, and I was sort of skeptical) but I thought I'd upgrade and surprise him. I guess I just wasn't ready to upgrade all the way! I was considering the WL, but I thought it might be fun to be able to see the animals outside of our window.

Anyway, he seemed really excited that we were staying there, so that's enough for me. And there's always next time. And that's extra money to spend (drinking) around World Showcase.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom