Your post Disney race tradition

Greenlawler

Original Poster
Do you have any traditions that you do after finishing a Disney Race?

Mine are:
Asking for more than one box and eating the cheese.
Getting Ice for my calves and knees along side a a beverage then limping to the finish line to wait and get a glimpse of my wife finishing.
If it is our last race for that trip we will take a nap, if it's not, then it's ice bath time.
Hitting Rose and Crown to celebrate with other runners
Then on to the Poly for dinner at 'Ohana.

However this year my wife and I have decided we are "'Ohana'd" out......Looking for a new celebration dinner spot. We don't like too fancy, so we are open to suggestions.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Only getting one box....and tossing the cheese. Eating just the chips and applesauce...and banana. I miss the Oreo cookies.

Wrapping my head in an ice cold cooling towel. Getting my photo with my medal(s).

Grabbing my gear bag, switching to my flip flops - ahhhh, heaven - and heading for the bus. Drinking a BIG glass of chocolate milk for recovery, peel off my sweaty running clothes, sticking my feet in ice water, then soaking my legs in cool water with Epsom salts, then showering. Or maybe hitting the hot tub, wearing my running clothes.

Eat breakfast, nap for an hour or two, then head to the parks.

I don't eat at a Disney restaurant until after my last race. I head back to my room to cook dinner and then an early bed.

I like to try new restaurants the night of the last race to celebrate. If it's W&D, that will be something in Epcot before the party starts. Otherwise, it's an eatery in the park I'm in.

@Greenlawler, are you looking for TS or QS? In a park, Disney Springs or a resort? Lots of great places at Disney Springs, both TS and QS. And food trucks. My go to place is now Frontera. The guac is the bomb. Chicken Guy is excellent. Hear good things about Polite Pig, haven't tried it yet.

RunningKoen

At first, it's just surviving.
It's unintended, but saying 'I'm fine' or 'I don't need a doctor' to a concerned volunteer or spectator happens several times almost every race. Does that count as tradition? I'd like to push myself so I am really done after finishing.

Next: I ruin my Finisher picture.
No extra's like those ' I did it' or distance signs used. A big 13.1 sign is hard to understand in a country that uses the metric system. I try to take some time between finishing and the picture, but it's never enough to recover decently. All of these pics are the same: I'm (very) red and sweaty and too tired to laugh.

After that, it's time for the first intended tradition, joining the line for 1 or 2 medal pics with a character.
I really started to like this moment of 'active' rest. The lines aren't that long when I finish, so it's enough time to recover without boring me. A bit of stretching of my legs, checking out other runners, maybe some small talk (wearing a Castle to Chateau medal does the trick) and the pictures are actually decent. I never did all the meets, I do not want to stand for too long and there's never been a set of characters that felt worthy of all the extra time I'd need to wait.

The bus back to the resort is the place where I can sit for the first time after finishing. I aim to be in the bus 30 minutes after finishing. I'm starving at this point so I devour everything in the runDisney box. Even the cheese. You can't be picky after burning so many calories.

My muscles often cramp up during those rides, so I'm walking like a newborn calf when I exit the bus. Strolling through the resort with my medal to my room. I also take a bath after a race. Always. Tradition. After soaking for way too long, I feel fine and I have a bite in the resort. Just like the box; can't be picky. My body just craves for something.

And that's the end of any tradition. The meal at the resort is the starting point of my plans for that day and those never have been the same.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
EAT ALL THE CHEESE SAUCE!!!!!!!!!

I need a shower and then it's off to brunch somewhere. I'm TRYING to get a reservation at Homecomin' for the wine/dine half or California Grill but no dice so far.

Then it's hit the parks to keep my legs moving and show off my bling

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Find a Coca-Cola, clean up, put on the bling and go eat at Epcot. After Marathon I would go to Disney Springs and watch a movie in one of those comfy AMC chairs. Then have trouble getting out of it after the movie.

I'd fall asleep.....

Rose&Crown

First a chug a few Powerades. Then my wife is waiting at the finish line with a beer. We cheers to another run down, sit down for a little and drink. Go back to the hotel to shower and nap and head to Epcot.

This year W&D is my first half marathon so my nap might be much longer than previous years.

Rteetz

Usually some sort of celebratory dinner or event. This January after Dopey we did an illuminations boat cruise. California Grill is a great option too.

CAV

Decline the mylar blanket.
Refuse to wear the medal.
Prepare for first seating at Ohana with a "healthy" amount of Jack Daniels.
Shake my head at everyone wearing the medal around the parks for the next week.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I don't know if you could call it a tradition but the only thing i always do after finishing a RunDisney race is wake up in a cold sweat and realise it was just a nightmare ...

Congrats to all y'all that have done 1 or 1000 miles running @Disney. It is way more than i could.

Lilofan

Great times several years ago for the nighttime Tower of Terror race followed by the theme park open until 330am for runners and their guests!

OG Runner

Decline the mylar blanket.
Refuse to wear the medal.
Prepare for first seating at Ohana with a "healthy" amount of Jack Daniels.
Shake my head at everyone wearing the medal around the parks for the next week.

Shake your head all you want. I feel I earned the medal and will usually wear it at least through breakfast on
Monday, funny enough usually at O'hana.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom