Your favorite table service restaurant at Hollywood Studios?

becanya

Original Poster
We have eaten at 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi Dine In, but we are hoping to try a new table service restaurant for dinner this next trip. What do you recommend, and why? (i.e. experience...food...the whole package...etc)

RonAnnArbor

The Hollywood Brown Derby hands down. The food is superior to anything else in DHS. It is also more expensive.

Cobb Salad to die for. Excellent entrees. Very good desserts (like their signature grapefruit cake)...

And superior service. It's geared toward adults, but they do an excellent job with families with kids as well.

It's also one of the easiest ADR's to get -- you can almost always get a table at the time you want, or within an hour or two of that time, even on day of visit.

Let me repeat again, though, that it is also the most expensive restaurant in DHS, and it's one of the more expensive inside any of the Disney Parks with the possible exception of Bistro de Paris in Epcot.

ABigBrassBand

The Hollywood And Vine has good food, and if you get the Fantasmic package it makes for a great night; I recommend that. However, if you can get the Derby, then go for it!

plaz10

hollywood studios is probably my least favorite place for a sit down meal.

it isn't very popular but I would pick Mama Melrose. It is basic Italian but its consistently good and not super busy most of the time.

50's Prime Time and Sci Fi both have way better atmospheres but Sci Fi's food is not very good and Prime Time's is good but heavy and nothing to write home about IMHO.

I'd rather take the boat over to Epcot for some better TS.

tmp

Brown Derby - Hollywood and Vine -50's Prime Time, Mama Melrose -Sci Fi. Thats my order. I think the Sci Fi is the worst restaurant on property.

Biff215

I agree with the others that DHS can be a tough one for sit down meals, even though they seemingly have more to offer than MK. But at least at MK you have a bunch a great resort restaurants a short ride away.

We swore by the Brown Derby for a few years before we had kids. As someone else said it is pricey, however, and to me isn't as family friendly. More recently we have eaten at Mama Melrose. Service seems to be hit or miss there but we enjoy their menu and the prices are reasonable. I feel they are the best value for the Fantasmic package, as we don't care for buffet dinners at H&V.

HouCuseChickie

We've eaten at 50s PT and BD so far. I liked 50s, but wasn't impressed with BD. This trip we're going back to 50s and also trying Mama Melrose. The reviews for H&V and Sci Fi scare me too much.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'm partial to 50's Prime Time. Food's good, not gourmet, and I like their "lounge" area while waiting for your table...

TheBeatles

Brown Derby.

Good selection, great food, and brilliant recreation of the Hollywood Brown Derby. You will be paying quite a bit, but the portions are just enough to fill you up. For dessert get the chocolate toffee tower instead of grapefruit cake; it has more flavor.

Mama's is decent. Nothing too special.

Erik787

We've eaten at 50s PT and BD so far. I liked 50s, but wasn't impressed with BD. This trip we're going back to 50s and also trying Mama Melrose. The reviews for H&V and Sci Fi scare me too much.

Sci-fi is all about the experience. And to me, it's one of the best experiences I've had at the world.

That said, and we've only ever gone for dinner, but I get confused when I hear some of the reviews. I've had the chicken sandwich, the pasta (with chicken instead of shrimp though), the steak, and the salad, and I have been pleased with each. Some of the reviews and posts on the board make you think they're serving up raw sewage. I don't get it. To me, it's an awesomely themed, awesomely imagined, awesomely fun place to get a pretty good meal.

PurpleDragon

50's Prime Time, no question. The authentic comfort food and home style meals just keep me coming back, and the themeing of that place is awesome, especially when your server is really good with staying in character. When we were there earlier this year, our waitress had us all cracking up cause she was picking on my daughter about not cleaning her plate. I've also seen a waitress put lines of ketchup along the edge of the table cause a kid wasn't keeping his elbows off the table. The staff is really what makes that place special.

TheBeatles

50's Prime Time is good ONLY if you get a fun server. If not, you will be watching other tables having fun.

The food tastes like something your mom would make and I'm assuming that everyone's mother made good food.

Some of the best servers are Cousin Mark, Uncle Dale, Uncle Tommy, and Brother Loukilli.

WDW 3

It seems to be really unpopular but we ate lunch at Mama Melrose's last month and had really good food and equally good service. DD was able to order Spag and meat sauce even though it's not on the menu.

cornandacobb

Last Monday, we ate at 50's Prime Time for lunch and Brown Derby for dinner.
Same as our last visit 2 years ago.
And once again, I'd have to say they were two of my favorite meals with the Brown Derby possibly being my favorite overall for each trip.

Had the meatloaf for lunch w/ onion ring appeteaser.

For dinner, started with a Cobb salad....to die for.
Entree was Sterling Silver Pork Chop - topped with Smoked Gouda and Apricot Preserve served over Napa Cabbage, Bacon, and Potato Hash with Apple Cider Jus.
To die for 5x over. Best entree over my 8 days at DW last week.
And I rarely order pork chops out at a restaurant. The waiter, Jerry, highly recommended it and I bit. My father also ordered it. The other 4 adults at the table were highly jealous.
The gouda was a perfexct accent. Stellar!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom