Your Current Pre-Book Picks for Magic Kingdom

Mr. Sullivan

Original Poster
Hello there!

We'll be headed to WDW for a week from January 3-9 in celebration of my birthday! Last trip, I made myself an expert in Genie+ and I got really good at it. I am trying to do the same for the new system.

I have narrowed down my pre-book choices for all of the parks except for Magic Kingdom. Magic Kingdom was the trickiest park for me in terms of Genie as well so I'm not fully surprised by this. Really, I'm just looking to see what route you all are taking in regards to your attraction pre-bookings for Magic Kingdom. What tier 1 selection are you making and then which two additional ones you making? I really don't want to waste the chance to make a smart selection here so I'm looking to anyone with experience on using this new system for how they recommend doing it.

lightningtap347

Hello!

I have tested this new system twice, both at different parks than MK (DHS, DAK).

I've spent mornings in each park, and then spent the early afternoon in MK.

To that, this is (my opinion) what I would do.

My tier 1 would be Peter Pan's flight, as it has the lowest capacity (and therefore availability) of the tier 1.

I know the want to get Tiana (it's something new!) but I have had no issues getting an immediate return time day of at any :48 time on an hour interval (as long as it's open).

My tier 2 selections would be Haunted Mansion and Winnie the Pooh, the former because I like it and the latter because of capacity.

In terms of what to get after your first scan, I would prioritize low capacity attractions like Jungle Cruise. But don't be afraid to refresh if you get a bad time, they seemingly drop inventory throughout the day!

me_stitch

Premium Member
Friday I had a Pirates LL at 8:45 am, Tiana's Bayou at 9:45, and Haunted Mansion at 10:45, ended up getting a VQ for Tron boarding group 5 and was called at like 7:50 am. Ended up doing Tron VQ, Pirates LL, Tiana's LL, Buzz Lightyear LL, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, took the monorail over to Epcot, scanned in at 1:05 and got a Guardians VQ with a 7:30 return time, wen't back to MK for our Big Thunder LL, Space Mountain LL, rode the Liberty Belle, watched the Country Bears Jamboree, Peter Pan LL, monorail back to Epcot, Soarin LL, and finished with our Guardians VQ. It was a pretty good day.

MickeyLuv'r

1. You are WAY early to be planning LL.
2. Jan 3rd is typically a quiet week. So even less reason to worry about your LL's.

For MK, I chose Tiana/P Pan, Buzz/Pooh, and HM. At the time, HM was getting booked up. the reason I chose Pooh and buzz is because I was able to get early LL's.

3. From my experience touring all 4 parks, I had very little ability to move any of my LL's any earlier. Originally, people were talking about being able to use 1, and then move others to earlier times. For the most part, the passes I booked 7 days out were the ones we got. I think I was able to move 1 or two passes at 6 days out. Once we were in the parks, I had almost zero ability to change any of the pre-booked passes to earlier times.

4. During my visit, wait times in Epcot were very short for most of the park. Even though Nemo, L w/Lan, Imagination, etc were just all 0-15minute waits, I still saw considerably less pass availability than I did with G+. Seriously though, LL was a waste in Epcot. You must choose either Rat or FEA, and those were the only rides that had any wait. On the day I was there, I did not see either come up as available though I didn't spend all that much time looking for FEA (and I had a pass for Rat).
4B. It is important to add- in order to USE the Rat LL, we had to go all the way TO the ride during our LL time window. It just wasn't very useful to book LL's in Epcot. We would have done better just to hit Rat when we were over that way or in the evening. You get a little bit of choice when choosing your prebooks, but not much for rides like Rat.

For Tiana, the earliest return available as a prebook was 3:15pm. In January, the ride might be closed. Splash used to be closed every January, because getting wet is not appealing in cold weather. If you are buying LL, probably choose Pan.

5. HS is a mess right now. Even on a slow day, I'd buy LL for HS, but just know any ride you ride without a LL in HS from 10:30am-3pm expect the standby wait to be miserably long. Even fairly early in the morning, no good passes were available to book, and Aliens already had a 30minute wait by 9:30am. Late in the day HS supposedly clears out, but we just hopped.

6. The best park when it comes to LL, as with G+, is MK. That's the only park where you get any real value. I did buy LL for my AK day, but it was somewhat useless there as well. It did save us from waiting for Na'vi, and maybe 10min for EE and Dino, but that was it. Those would have been manageable without it. The main value we got that day was when we hopped. With G+, we could stack 4 evening passes. With G+, we could stack 3.

7. The earlier you book your 1st pass the sooner you can book another pass, but don't expect to see the kind of availability (later) G+ had, though THAT MAY WELL CHANGE come January. Initially G+ was also very limited before modify was added. I anticipate the current system will also evolve over time, just as G+ and FP+ did.

8. One way you can make good use of the new system, is to park hop. As with G+, once you use a pass for HM or any other attraction, you can't get another one for that attraction.

9. I should also add, we skipped Rise, booked an ILL for FoP, and rode 7D standby at night. For Rise, evening waits are fairly short. 7D is a little bit of a gamble, but our wait was about 25. I think posted was 35, but actual wait was shorter.

Last edited:

Mr. Sullivan

Original Poster
1. You are WAY early to be planning LL.
2. Jan 3rd is typically a quiet week. So even less reason to worry about your LL's.
It's never too early. I want my spreadsheets and docs all done well in advance of the trip so I can just wake up on dining reservation days and LL reservation days and just do it and not think about it. I always like to have my trips broadly planned (taking into account how things change day of, but in general the broad plan) done at minimum a few months in advance. My last WDW trip, I had it all laid out almost 6.5 months early.

Jan 3 is a little quieter yes, but we're also doing Universal and we're going be getting some of the marathon which begins that week, so we're not taking our chances on anything. We're doing LL for every day we're in a park, no matter what day, no matter what park. That's been budgeted and decided already.

Thank you for all your notes that followed! It's super helpful!

MickeyLuv'r

It's never too early. I want my spreadsheets and docs all done well in advance of the trip so I can just wake up on dining reservation days and LL reservation days and just do it and not think about it. I always like to have my trips broadly planned (taking into account how things change day of, but in general the broad plan) done at minimum a few months in advance. My last WDW trip, I had it all laid out almost 6.5 months early.

Jan 3 is a little quieter yes, but we're also doing Universal and we're going be getting some of the marathon which begins that week, so we're not taking our chances on anything. We're doing LL for every day we're in a park, no matter what day, no matter what park. That's been budgeted and decided already.

Thank you for all your notes that followed! It's super helpful!

In 50+ years of visiting WDW, I have yet to take a trip to WDW that goes according to plan, and that is with me trying to keep our plans flexible/minimal.

I'd venture to suggest then that perhaps what you/many people enjoy is planning, re-planning, and thinking about planning. There is no need to plan LL's months in advance unless that is something one enjoys doing. In fact, you don't need to book them at all.

About a month before my most recent trip, Disney announced the change from G+ to the new system. Prior to that, I was also among the first people to try G+, the first to try FP+, etc. There have been many times when last minute announcements had a big impact on trips I'd already booked, like the opening of Galaxy's Edge.

The point of all of the above is simply to point out that WDW has a long history of making major changes on short notice. So planning months in advance would have been useless.

WDW regularly changes park hours just a few weeks out, and WDW weather is always a bit unpredictable. Just last month, Accuweather (I think) repeatedly told us it was downpouring when it wasn't raining at all. Just a few days ago, WDW announced that Tron no longer has BG.

Some people enjoy pre-trip preparation, and that's okay. I'm all for seeking knowledge about WDW, I think we all agree, knowledge can be very valuable at WDW.

On the other hand, it is ALSO easy to get too caught up in pre-trip preparation. Disney WANTS us to get all wound up with fear of long lines, and to feed our fears of missing out, because then we give them more money. So yes, my advice is to avoid as much pre-planning STRESS as possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom