Youngest age you've brought a baby/child on a "rolelr coaster" ?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
KevinPage said:
I've been launching my daughter into the air and carrying her over my head since what seems like day 1, so she is used to being up high.
I did the same thing with my youngest as well. The higher I threw her the harder she laughed.

KevinPage

Original Poster
shari71 said:
We took her to a local park (Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN). She rode one of those spider looking rides that has buckets that spin as you go in a circle up and down.

I LOVE Holiday World. My wife and I went there in 2001 for "Stark Raving Mad" and event they hold for roller coaster enthusiats every year. People from 33 states attended that year. (but they didn't have it the past few years as a girl died on The Raven cause she took off her seatbelt and tried to defeat the restraints. Sometimes enthusiats go too far. The park didn't do anything wrong but there is still a lawsuit, go figure.)

The Raven & The Legend are easily 2 of the best roller coasters in the world & The Voyage (being built) looks like another winner. The Koch family RULES!!!!!!

I went on Holidog myself when I was there. I can't wait to try the waterpark next time. Hoping to get to the park in 2006.

You may not live near Disney, but feel very honored that Holiday World, a park revered around the world, is your home park. :D :D :D

Mister Toad

I took my son on Rock N' Roller coaster when he was 5. He was turned down by the CM because he was about 3/4" too short.... we walked over to "Scoops," grabbed about a dozen napkins, folded them into his sneakers and walked back. To the CM's amazement, my son was now 1/2" taller than the requirement!

HE LOVED IT! We went on about a dozen times.

righttrack

My kids, both tall for their ages, went on coasters, and everything pretty early. You need to move forward in small steps, and watch/learn from your child what they enjoy and can handle. Its a YMMV situation for sure.

Laura

Mister Toad said:
I took my son on Rock N' Roller coaster when he was 5. He was turned down by the CM because he was about 3/4" too short.... we walked over to "Scoops," grabbed about a dozen napkins, folded them into his sneakers and walked back. To the CM's amazement, my son was now 1/2" taller than the requirement!

HE LOVED IT! We went on about a dozen times.

Sounds like a pretty dumb CM.:brick:

Yellow Shoes

I at least hope you waited until there was a different CM at that post.

A similar thing happened to us with Fast Passes for Buzz. The CM in the queue who was supposed to collect them didn't. We rode and still had valid FPs. So we hung around Tomorrowland -- my son was mesmerized by the Balzac (?) display until the CMs changed position and we rode again.

I must be doing something right, because that kid was nearly paralyzed by guilt. "Mom, what if they catch us? Will they throw us out of the park?"

KevinPage

Original Poster
Yellow Shoes said:
I must be doing something right, because that kid was nearly paralyzed by guilt. "Mom, what if they catch us? Will they throw us out of the park?"

That's the tough part, to teach honestly, but then bend the rules on things like this. I never cut anyone in line, but it really was the CM job to take the ticket. You were merely bending the rules, since morally you could take the high road & throw them out, but technically you are not doing anything wrong either.

It's kinda like a harmless white lie but kids sometimes don't understand the difference and just get confused.

Would it be better to just tell your kids "they didn't take the ticket, so they are allowing us to ride again, it's a special treat". Technically you are lying to them, but not showing them the benefits of "flexing the rules".

The joys or parenthood - damned if you do, damned if you don't. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
KevinPage said:
The joys or parenthood - damned if you do, damned if you don't. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know exactly what you mean. I think the best we can hope for is that we don't mess them up anymore than our parents messed us up.

AGC5445

wow 22 months...

i was 12 when i first went on a roller coaster, Aerosmith R&R coaster. i did barnstormer when i was 10. i was "brave" enough to do ToT, Splash and Space Mountain when i was 11 in '99 i believe. realized that it is not that bad,

Mister Toad

zone15int said:
thats pretty uncalled for. from the sound of the post, it's more like a dumb guest.

If this wasn't a Disney board, I'd tell you where to stick your opinion. I am the same father who bought the safest car on the road and straps each of his kids (including the one who is now almost 8) into a 5 point car seat. He'll be in it until he's 18 if I have my say.

Parenting is a matter of judgement, and in my judgement, my son being 1/2" under the seat limit was not putting him in physical harm. So Goofy you pal.

zone15int

Mister Toad said:
If this wasn't a Disney board, I'd tell you where to stick your opinion. I am the same father who bought the safest car on the road and straps each of his kids (including the one who is now almost 8) into a 5 point car seat. He'll be in it until he's 18 if I have my say.

Parenting is a matter of judgement, and in my judgement, my son being 1/2" under the seat limit was not putting him in physical harm. So Goofy you pal.

I mean you could have just not rode the ride. You seem to be happy that you got one over on the CM. Congratulations.

DisneyPhD

Little PhD is a shorty, and a rather timid one at that so she was 4 years old when she rode Goffy for the 1st. time. She loved it. She is a bit like the OP said, was very still and quiet. That is her normal recation at 1st for most things. After she warms up she is totally differnt. She road it 5 times in a row after that (her sister was asleep in the stroller.) :)

This next trip in Jan she will finally be 40 inces (on a good day, but we have a few months to go and shoes!) Of course we don't want to push her into anything, but she does want to ride Sorin and we think she will love it. Last trip she was too short. We epxlained it to her and when we were wacthing the France movie she told me "this is MY Sorin." I thought that was pretty cute. She says she wants to ride the train ride too (BTM.)

MouseMadness

DisneyPhD said:
Little PhD is a shorty, and a rather timid one at that so she was 4 years old when she rode Goffy for the 1st. time. She loved it. She is a bit like the OP said, was very still and quiet. That is her normal recation at 1st for most things. After she warms up she is totally differnt. She road it 5 times in a row after that (her sister was asleep in the stroller.) :)

This next trip in Jan she will finally be 40 inces (on a good day, but we have a few months to go and shoes!) Of course we don't want to push her into anything, but she does want to ride Sorin and we think she will love it. Last trip she was too short. We epxlained it to her and when we were wacthing the France movie she told me "this is MY Sorin." I thought that was pretty cute. She says she wants to ride the train ride too (BTM.)

If the urgings of a random stranger will help at all, I think she WILL love it!! #3 was 5 when she rode it this past trip, and did great. I hope she will ride it. Leah (#4 :lol: :lookaroun ) is counting down the seconds when she can join in the "big girls". :( The downside of being the youngest. Sometimes you have to hang out with some boring grown ups while everybody else goes on the fun stuff.

scorp111

My daughter was 25 months old, when rode Barnstormer in September. My wife was a little hesitant to let her do it, but I think DD enjoyed it.

She did have a moment of indecision when the lap bar came down though, all of a sudden she wanted to get on my lap....:)

DisneyFanatic85

Height is always an issue first. I worked in ride operations at a certain Ohio amusement park this past summer and believe me I've had to turn my fair share of children away regardless of how much they wanted to ride because they were just barely too short. The first time I ever rode a roller coaster I was 2 years old, but grant it, I've always been tall for my age. Generally the best way to feel for it is if they want to ride it and they're tall enough, let them do it. But I must stress that you should never force your child to ride anything they don't want to ride. Where I worked you weren't allowed to force children to ride. If a child was kicking and screaming and saying they didn't want to go we would deliberately ask the child, not the parent, if they wanted to go and even if the parent said the child would be fine, if the child said no we would let the child get out of the vehicle and wait on the platform. Allow your child to build up the courage to ride something on their own, never force them to do it.

ukool

not at disney, but my 7 year old brother went on the corkscrew at alton towers last week, it was his first upside down rollercoaster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom