Youngest age you've brought a baby/child on a "rolelr coaster" ?

KevinPage

Original Poster
Was able to get my 22 month old daughter on The Barnstormer this weekend. You only need to be 35" and she just made it. Maybe it was the extra thick soles on the new sneakers, which wasn't intentional though.

I've always wanted to get her on the bigger rides as soon as possible that I know aren't "intense" (Soarin, etc.) but it was a little surreal. Seeing her 2 little hands grab the lab bar as we went up the lift hill and her hair blowing in the breeze, while I held onto her, (lap bar was nowhere near her, blame Daddy's belly).

It wasn't an intense ride, but with someone so young it felt kinda weird during those dips and turns. It was stranger than I had expected it to be. And this is coming from someone who's been on every dang coaster imaginable so far.

Anyways, she didn't cry or laugh, just kinda looked serious the whole time, but kinda wanted to get out of the car once we were back at the station.

:D :D :D

MouseMadness

Without sitting for a second and stopping to count, I'm guessing my 2nd oldest was just under 3 when she rode Barnstormer the first time. She had a ball, and has been scaring me with her nerves of steel ever since. :lol:

I usually let them ride whatever they want that they are tall enough, unless I think it will be too intense. I will forever wish I'd been able to catch on camera the looks on the faces of them the first time they rode Soarin'. It was so completely priceless.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Kevin, you got me by two months on the coaster and 5 months on the barnstormer.

Both my sons were almost exactly two years old when I took them on CP's Junior Gemini. The older one cried, the younger one (one year later) loved it. The younger one also loved the Barnstormer at 27months, but the older one would not ride it until he was 4 (I must have traumatized him). And the only reason he rode it is his 5 year old niece gave him a hard time about being a baby so he rode it with her.

He is now 6 and rides most roller coasters he is allowed to ride, but still isn't really excited about it until he get's off safe and then he decides it isn't so bad.

My 5 year old son gets mad if I don't take him on a coaster or if he's too short to ride it. Though his favorite ride is still HM.

KevinPage

Original Poster
MouseMadness said:
I usually let them ride whatever they want that they are tall enough, unless I think it will be too intense. I will forever wish I'd been able to catch on camera the looks on the faces of them the first time they rode Soarin'. It was so completely priceless.

Soarin is 40" right? She's going to have to wait for stuff like ToT, Mission Space, etc. until she is old enough, regardless of height. She is tall for her age and as crazy as I am with riding every and everything under the sun & getting seatbelts loose, I won't play it stupid and bring them on stuff their bodies can't handle to early.

Things like BTMM, Splash & Test Track may have height restrictions, but the forces on your body are minimal, so she 'll go on those as soon as she is tall enough.

KevinPage

Original Poster
MichRX7 said:
Both my sons were almost exactly two years old when I took them on CP's Junior Gemini. He is now 6 and rides most roller coasters he is allowed to ride, but still isn't really excited about it until he get's off safe and then he decides it isn't so bad.My 5 year old son gets mad if I don't take him on a coaster or if he's too short to ride it. Though his favorite ride is still HM.

Which adult coasters do you bring them on at CP? I assume TTD & MF & Magnum are out of the equation. Magnum's rolling stock (restraints) are painful enough for adults I couldn't imagine kids.

I would think that Raptor would have too many strong G forces on it for little ones as well ?

I could see them handling Wicked Twister, Disastor Transport, and such though. Mean Streak beats everyone up, no reason to put them through that kind of pain. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MichRX7

Premium Member
Well we skipped CP this year and went up to Michigan's Adventure instead as a change. Saved a few bux since the water park is included. My youngest rode every coaster he was tall enough to ride. The older one rode every one except Zack's Zoomer. Mostly though they stayed in the water park. I think they were fish in a previous life as I can never get them out of the water.

I expect next year we'll return to CP and another December trip to WDW. Hope they're tall enough for EE.

Nut4Disney

Our son just rode Barnstormer at about 27 months. I agree, some rides even though they may pass the height requirement, I will make him wait to ride until he is a little older. (MS, ToT) We will try Test Track and Splash next time in Jan. though.

KevinPage

Original Poster
MichRX7 said:
Well we skipped CP this year and went up to Michigan's Adventure instead as a change. Saved a few bux since the water park is included. My youngest rode every coaster he was tall enough to ride. The older one rode every one except Zack's Zoomer. Mostly though they stayed in the water park. I think they were fish in a previous life as I can never get them out of the water.
I expect next year we'll return to CP and another December trip to WDW. Hope they're tall enough for EE.

Those little maniacs rode Shivering Timbers :confused: :confused: Granted it's an "out and back" coaster, but still an intense ride for a little one.

I always wanted to ride ST but could never justify the expense and time to drive out to MA when we are in the area, nothing around it for miles. CP is 6 hours away and as much as I want to ride ST, I can't drive 12 hours round trip for it.

Laura

My son rode barnstormer a month before he turned 3. It scared him half to death, and now refuses to ride anything the least bit fast. The little hill on POTC is as "thrilling" as he'll go! It's too bad because he's 41 inches now and can ride almost anything but won't.

MichRX7

Premium Member
KevinPage said:
Those little maniacs rode Shivering Timbers :confused: :confused: Granted it's an "out and back" coaster, but still an intense ride for a little one.

I always wanted to ride ST but could never justify the expense and time to drive out to MA when we are in the area, nothing around it for miles. CP is 6 hours away and as much as I want to ride ST, I can't drive 12 hours round trip for it.

HAHAHA, no they were not tall enough for ST. It was a very good wooden coaster, but not as great as everyone claimed. I still like the beast better. Maybe it was because my arms were tired from holding them up for so long. It is one of the (in not THE) longest coasters I have ever been on.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
My youngest hit the 35" requirement for Barnstormer a little after she was 2. She absolutely loved it, however she is a serious thrill ride junkie, a condition my wife and jokingly contribute to her "riding" every ride at WDW at about 3 months after conception. And before I get flamed my wife did not know she was pregnant until month 4. Pretty much if your child meets the height requirement and wants to try a ride I don't see a problem with it. The only ride I would put any any other stipulations on is M:S. For M:S I would add that your child be able to follow the "look forward and don't close your eyes" instructions.

Well, I don't have any children yet but my very first roller coaster was when I was 5 and it was SPACE MOUNTAIN!! :lookaroun Definitely not a good first roller coaster! I screamed and cried the whole time! After that my family decided to take me on BTMR because I may like it better since I would be able to see where I was going. I haven't liked roller coasters ever since.:(

Steven Lofgren

My 2 year old grandson and I rode barnstormer 3 times the first day of our trip and the next day they would not let him ride,said he was too short all of a sudden. try explaining that to a 2 year old.

tirian

Was he the correct height? If not, then the CM was just doing his or her job...which is keeping little kids safe.

Yellow Shoes

That is true, but I have run into this also, especially when the kid is just on the line.

Granted, it wasn't at WDW, but it is difficult to explain why you could ride at 10:00 and can't at 2:00.

KevinPage

Original Poster
Master Yoda said:
a condition my wife and jokingly contribute to her "riding" every ride at WDW at about 3 months after conception. And before I get flamed my wife did not know she was pregnant until month 4.

I've been launching my daughter into the air and carrying her over my head since what seems like day 1, so she is used to being up high.

My wife was pregnant when we went on the Skyscraper ride (not Slingshot) over at Old Town, but we of course didn't know it yet. The ride was way too rough and really jerked you into the restraint (thing with the windmill arm, I think the actually name is Turbro Force or something)

I always joke that my daughter doesn't have an option to like rides or not, she's gonna like them cause Daddy is gonna drive her nuts if she doesn't go on them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MichRX7

Premium Member
Steven Lofgren said:
My 2 year old grandson and I rode barnstormer 3 times the first day of our trip and the next day they would not let him ride,said he was too short all of a sudden. try explaining that to a 2 year old.

Not sure how I would explain it to the 2 year old, but this is the exact reason why a lot of theme parks have switched to a colored wrist-band for kids. Once they are measured for a wristband they are good for that ride-height the rest of the day.

Seemingly the jumping up and down and forces of gravity make them "shrink" ever so slightly throughout the day.

shari71

My oldest (5) rode Barnstormer at age 3. At age 4 she was 40" exactly and got to ride anything she wanted. Only one she didn't try was ToT...she was in a bad mood at the time...go figure. She is also my thrill seeker.

My youngest (2 1/2), well, I don't know about her. She just might make the 40" mark this year (she is tall for her age she is 38 1/2 inches now without shoes), but she is not the thrill seeker. We took her to a local park (Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN). She rode one of those spider looking rides that has buckets that spin as you go in a circle up and down. She kept screaming no no no. Then we tried the Holi-dog rollercoaster that is similar to Barnstormer... I don't know if she didn't like it because it jerked her so bad that her head hit the lap bar or if she just doesn't like those kinds of rides. I will try to get her on Barnstormer at least once and I think she would like Test Track if she gets to the height limit. Otherwise, one of the adults gets to entertain her while the other waits in line with the oldest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom