Young Children at Epcot?

rlaeromech

Hello,

I am new to WDWMagic, but I am hooked already. Does it eventually wear off? That is a topic for another forum. I am going in October with 3 families and all our kids range from age 8 months to 16. My question is this. How much time should I plan for Epcot? We have a 4 day park hopper pass from Tuesday to Friday. 5 of the kids have never been to WDW period. I have been 3 times in the last 2 years and the last time I went with my family alone we skipped Epcot as we only had 3 days at the parks. Personally I enjoy Epcot and love the atmosphere. I was there in August and saw all the "kid stations" that I think my 2 almost 3 year old would like. The problem I am having is when I talk plans to the other families, they always want to drop Epcot first and maybe spend the extra day MK. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Rick

Lucky

Could you split up for a day, or part of a day, to go to Epcot? I think I'd get tired of trying to coordinate an entire vacation with multiple other families. We would want some time to ourselves anyway.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

October is a quieter month overall and the crowds not too bad during the week. I would plan on going to Epcot on a weekday, simply because of the food & wine festival makes it very crowded on the weekends. I think it is a mistake to miss Epcot as the older ones will love Test Track, Soarin. The living Seas has Turtle Talk which the younger ones will love and I think by then they might have the nemo ride open in the living seas. Also the adults will enjoy the food & wine festivale around the countries. I think it has a little to offer for everyone in the group.

Also don't forget they have things in innoventions, the water fountains to run into.

Have you thought about going to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, the kids can get dressed in costumes and trick or treat in the MK which I think is an awesome experience.

Upvote 0

rlaeromech

Original Poster
"Have you thought about going to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, the kids can get dressed in costumes and trick or treat in the MK which I think is an awesome experience."

I have given it some serious thought, but isn't it like $40 per person? There are 14 of us going, 3 are under 3 so I am assuming they would be free right? But that is still an extra $440 for 5 hours. I have heard it is really nice, but is it worth that.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I'd plan a day where you split up and do your own thing - the older kids certainly won't want to do everything that the young ones do. Plan to meet up for the fireworks or something - it makes for a lot less hassels.

Upvote 0

wdwhoneymooner

Our son is 5 and has been visiting WDW regularly since 2. Our daughter is 2 and has visited 7 times. We usually end up spending about 6 - 8 hours at EPCOT and find that is enough time for all of us to enjoy the park. If the other family chooses not to come with you, then don't deny yourself (and your family) the attractions there. We love the atmosphere also and we find that there are enough for the kiddies to enjoy too.

Upvote 0

wdwforus

It doesnt wear off, its like a pleasant rash that never fades, I love it! Anywho, I would try and do at least half a day at Epcot, maybe late to be able to see the fireworks. I have yet to see them in my last 2 trips but I have heard they are incredible, unless you think the kids would be scared by them. Maybe do MK in the morning, head back to your hotel and relax and have a nap and then do Epcot in the late afternoon. We took my 2 year old last year and he was probably least interested in this park but did like the World Showcase alot, which we toured twice. Welcome to WDWMagic and the only cure for that problem you mentioned is more visits!:animwink:

Upvote 0

CindiFan

I would agree with those who have suggested breaking up the group. You certainly don't have to do everything together. Everyone has different tastes & interests; everyone should have a chance to enjoy what they would like. If you have a park hopper, its not that difficult to get between MK & EP using the monorail. That way the other folks in your party could go to MK & you & yours go to EP. At an appointed time, get back together at either park.

Hope you have tons of fun on your trip.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Our kids love Epcot. In fact its the first "Disney" word my son ever said.

On a four day pass, I would do:

1. Magic Kingdom
2. Epcot
3. Disney Studios/DAK
4. Magic Kingdom/Epcot

If I were going by myself for four days....it would be:
1. Epcot
2. Magic Kingdom/Epcot
3. 2 hours at DAK then Epcot
4. 2 hours at Studios then Epcot

Upvote 0

imagineersrock

Coming from someone who could easily spend 2 days at Epcot with all the things there are to see and do there, I'm shocked by the idea of someone with a 4-day pass considering skipping it altogether.

You have a 4-day hopper? Use it! Epcot has some deifinite must-sees that include: Soarin', Mission: Space, Test Track, Turtle Talk with Crush (Must-see if traveling with younger children), Illuminations Refelctions of Earth, and the brand new Finding Nemo ride will likely have just opened if you'll be there in October as well!

If I were you, I would spend one full day at each one of the 4 theme parks. On the day you visit Animal Kindom, you'll have a free evening (because Animal Kingdom typically closes much earlier than the other 3 parks) This evening will leave you with time to either relax by your hotel pool, take a stroll at Downtown Disney, or if you're up for it, take advantage of that hopper option and go to one of the other 3 parks that closes later.

1.) What are the exact dates of your trip?
2.) What are all the ages of the children in your party, and are any of them particularly adventurous or easily scared?
3.) Are you staying in a Disney Resort Hotel?

If you could answer those questions for me, I'd be able (and happy) to help you out some more with your trip planning.

Upvote 0

december

I took my 6 yr old and 9 yr old (he turned 9 in Epcot!) to WDW for the first time in July. We got to Epcot at 9am and left at midnight (EMH). My daughter's favorite ride of the whole week was test track, and my son's was Soarin'. We loved the mild version of Mission Space. We didn't stand in line for Turtle Talk-it was ridiculous-but they loved the aquarium. There were divers in with the sharks, and one of the dolphins kept playing with us through the glass. During a storm we rode Spaceship Earth. We rode the land, and my son insisted on watching the Circle of Life movie twice. They got passports stamped in all the countries, and pressed pennies, and rode the rides. They loved Illuminations, too. But the highlight of the day was the birthday supper at Garden Grill. My son will never forget having his cake delivered by Dale. And this wasn't a meal where the characters would stop by once and sign an autograph. They kept coming back to play! Autographs are easy to get in Character Connection, and the fountains are just fun to watch. When we go back (hopefully next year), I'm planning on two days at Epcot-one for Future World and one for World Showcase. My kids liked it better than Magic Kingdom!:)

Upvote 0

rlaeromech

Original Poster
2.) What are all the ages of the children in your party, and are any of them particularly adventurous or easily scared?

1. - Park Days are October 19-22
2. 7 moths (doesn't really count I know) 2 that are both 2 years and 11 months, 7,8,12,15,16 and 32 (me)
3. No, we are at a vacation home in Windsor hills

To respond so others. I will make sure we are going to Epcot at some point, there are plenty that want to ride soarin, MS, TT and the others. I was just curios has to how much time with the littel kids. I like the idea of MK in the morning, maybe a break and then Epcot to finish up on Friday.

Upvote 0

rlaeromech

Original Poster
1.) What are the exact dates of your trip?2.) What are all the ages of the children in your party, and are any of them particularly adventurous or easily scared?3.) Are you staying in a Disney Resort Hotel1. - Park Days are October 19-222. 7 moths (doesn't really count I know) 2 that are both 2 years and 11 months, 7,8,12,15,16 and 32 (me)3. No, we are at a vacation home in Windsor hillsTo respond so others. I will make sure we are going to Epcot at some point, there are plenty that want to ride soarin, MS, TT and the others. I was just curious has to how much time with the littel kids. I like the idea of MK in the morning, maybe a break and then Epcot to finish up on Friday. On Wednesday I was planning on AK and then an adults night out maybe to the polynesian for dinner

Upvote 0

imagineersrock

1. - Park Days are October 19-22
2. 7 moths (doesn't really count I know) 2 that are both 2 years and 11 months, 7,8,12,15,16 and 32 (me)
3. No, we are at a vacation home in Windsor hills

To respond so others. I will make sure we are going to Epcot at some point, there are plenty that want to ride soarin, MS, TT and the others. I was just curios has to how much time with the littel kids. I like the idea of MK in the morning, maybe a break and then Epcot to finish up on Friday.

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 19TH:
Magic Kingdom Park Extra Magic Hours 8:00AM-9:00AM 9:00AM-7:00PM
Epcot 9:00AM-9:00PM
Disney-MGM Studios 9:00AM-7:30PM
Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park 9:00AM-5:00PM

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 20TH:
Magic Kingdom Park 9:00AM-7:00PM
Epcot 9:00AM-9:00PM Extra Magic Hours 9:00PM-12:00AM

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 21ST:
Magic Kingdom Park 9:00AM-10:00PM
Disney-MGM Studios Extra Magic Hours 8:00AM-9:00AM 9:00AM-7:30PM

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 22ND:
Magic Kingdom Park 9:00AM-9:00PM Extra Magic Hours 9:00PM-12:00AM

As you can see, during your stay the park hours don't vary too much... My only suggestion is that you save Magic Kingdom for Saturday or Sunday, because as you can see the park closes early (7pm) on Thursday and Friday due to MNSSHP without Spectromagic or Wishes.

Besides that, you can pretty much play the rest of the parks by ear. Also worth noting is that it looks like the parks are going to work great as far as the bed times for the kids goes! Your only late nights would be Epcot or Magic Kingdom, Epcot closes at 9pm year-round with Illuminations at 9pm, and Magic Kingdom closes considerably early on all nights during your visit.

I definitely think with the age groups of the kids going, they will all have a great time. But bringing it back to your origional question- I think everyone would have a great day at Epcot. The younger ones (that are big enough) tend to enjoy the thrill rides at Epcot like Soarin' and Test Track (some even Mission: Space) because they are just-thrilling-enough for kids to feel like they are "riding the 'big-kid' rides" The older kids will also likely enjoy those same rides because they are very fun, and M:S they can try the Intense Version (Orange Team) if they please. Turtle Talk is often an all-around crowd pleaser because the little ones love getting to sit up front and talk to Crush, while the parents and older kids will laugh at some of the jokes the kids might not get, and are usually just in awe at the technology that makes the experience possible. Illuminations is another one of those all-around crowd pleasers.

Now knowing that you're staying off property I can see why you might be a little hesitant taking a mid-day break because it is a bit more of a hassle than if you're staying on property to have to go back to the hotel... but it definitely is still do-able if you wish. As we discussed earlier though, the park hours really aren't too terribly late this time of year, so no mid-day breaks could be do-able.

Whatever you decide to do, have an awesome time on your trip and don't hesitate to ask me if you have any more questions. :)

Upvote 0

Dwarful

I agree with Imagineersrock. With the hours what they are and the fact that you are off site, I'd try to avoid the time consumption on going back to the house for a break. If the little ones (esp. the baby) need a break each park has great baby areas and also great quiet areas for such breaks. Our daughter when she was a baby, one trip on TTA and we'd end up going round 2-3 times because she fell asleep.
I think Epcot has a great deal to offer kids of all ages, you'd be sorry you missed it.
Just an example: Thurs. Oct 19th AK closes at 5pm, go at opening, leave by 4 and that still gives you 5 hours of park time in Epcot. For some that may be enough, for others they may want to go back and revisit Epcot another halfday say after a day at MGM. If you do things right you can really get quite a bit accomplished esp. during the times you are going. Good luck, have fun and remember no one will be able to see and do absolutely everything, but if everyone has a list of their 1 or 2 must do's at each park you should all come away with wonderful memories of a wonderful trip!

Upvote 0

rlaeromech

Original Poster
Thanks all for you input!!!!! We will be at Epcot, I will write a report in the trip report section on how it went with 3 families and the children at Epcot.

Upvote 0

degunter

Sounds like a fun trip

Sounds like you are in for a fun trip!

With a group that size, you should all chip in and hire a Disney expert to take time off from his real job, put him up in a room at the Polynesian and then let him plan your days and your time in the parks.... that way you will be sure to see everything you want to see....

Seriously though, there have been some great suggestions offered in this thread so I think you will have a great time no matter what you decide to do and when you decide to do it. Epcot is by far the easiest park to predict wait times and to plan your day, so take advantage of that for sure!

Good Luck and hope you have a great trip! Planning it can sometimes be as much fun as living it.... Just remember, it is ALL about your attitude!!!

Love the Avatar by the way.... Was that taken by a professional photographer?

Upvote 0

LCK123

My kids love Epcot, second to MK, of course. Ages 6, 4, and 1.5. We wouldn't miss Epcot. Turtle Talk is a must see for the kids - absolutely fantastic. Have them watch Nemo the week before you leave...it'll put them in the mood. I didn't have a problem park-hopping and staying out from early am to late pm with my littlest in Dec (about 9 months then). Just have the stroller ready. Enjoy Epcot....it's really worth it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom