Trip Report You went to Disney by yourself? - A Solo Princess Trip Report **COMPLETE**

Please start with my pre-trip report!

Good morning! Aloha! Jambo! Welcome to my solo trip report!
Who: Me - Sam!
Where: Courtyard Marriott at Vista Centre
When: February 6 - 9
Why: For fun!

Day 1: Wednesday, February 6th
I did NOT sleep on Tuesday night. I kept waking up, nervous and in a tizzy, that I had slept through my 2:30AM alarm to leave for the airport. I gave up on my beauty rest around 2:00AM, got dressed, ate a snack, and began my quick 45minute drive to the airport (LGA). At 3:30AM, I left my car with the valet and prayed she would return to me in the same condition I left her.

Emotions were flooding through me, maybe because I was exhausted, but mostly because I was on my way to WALT DISNEY WORLD!

Small snag as I got to TSA - my pre-check was not linked to my ticket! UGH! I had to go through the normal TSA line...this would have been okay except I wore sandals and had to walk barefoot through the body scanner and that's just gross! Regardless, I made it through, no issues, because my only carry on was my Mickey backpack of necessities...Mickey ears and Minnie wallet. At 6:00AM I boarded my flight and fell asleep for the majority of the trip.

9:15AM - TOUCHDOWN AT MCO! I WAS HERE! I took the rail to baggage, snagged an uber, and by 10:15AM, I was at my hotel for the next 3 nights. My preferred room wasn't ready yet, so I changed into shorts, put on my ears, and called an uber to EPCOT!

I made a mad dash for the Annual Passholder line! The cheesiest grin on my face...I won't deny it, I might have teared up!

First things first - I took pictures with just about every PhotoPass cast member I saw. I loved not having to ask for strangers to take my photo, and I had brought my Nikon in August 2018, so I didn't find it necessary to bring it this trip.
A quick stop in Mouse Gear, I picked up my AP Figment magnet. I immediately made my way over to the World Showcase - starting with Mexico, seeing as my FP+ reservations were in Magic Kingdom later today, and grabbed a Fiesta Margarita. Now, I hadn't really eaten all that much yet...paired with the fact that I do not drink regularly, so this margarita had me all sorts of giddy.

Donald had a short line in the Mexico pavilion, so I hopped in line. I wore my "Because I'm a cat lady" shirt - a homage to Aristocats and Marie!! This Donald was one of the best I have ever met. He was funny and dramatic, and made each interaction memorable. When it was my turn, Donald made me promise that I'd become a duck lady, as he was disappointed that I have two cats at home. So, I pinky promised to become a duck lady too!

I continued down the World Showcase, quickly got distracted in Norway with art by Larry Dotson; first purchase! Then I found myself in Italy....where I got distracted by the candles and purchased the Poly Hawaii candle (the Polynesian Resort is my family's favorite resort). I finally made my way to France, where I purchased a Frose! As I took my first sip, I saw that Belle would be doing a meet and greet soon! I hopped in line for my first of many character interactions.

Now, before I got to Disney, I had spent weeks pondering the best questions to ask each face character that I met...this was my chance!

I finished my Frose before I got to the front of the line. A little giggly on the brain, I chose the least unique question I could think of to ask Belle, "I just finished my last book, do you have a recommendation for me?" I mean, UGH, could I get any more cliché?! But, Belle was quick on her toes and recommended Romeo and Juliet, as it was one of Beast's favorites. We took a picture together, and I was off!

Quick photopass opportunity at the France fountain!

The one piece of art that I absolutely needed to find was the painting of Pasquale looking all disgruntled with paint dripping on his head - I headed to Doug Bolly's tent, which was past Canada. Without hesitation, I bought the print! I ended up wandering the festival for an hour and a half, waiting for Doug Bolly to arrive so I could have my print signed. I ate at the Electric Umbrella - an energy salad. I stopped at the pin station by the fountain to look for my AP Festival of Arts pin, and was extremely disappointed to find that they were sold out. The CM said they only made 3,000 of the pins and they were gone in the first week of the festival. My Pasquale signing with Doug Bolly was quick, but worth the wait. On my way out of the park, I snagged a photo-op at the bubblegum wall, always a classic!

By 2:30, I had missed my first FP+ at the Magic Kingdom. It didn't bother me much, though. I headed to the Monorail and hopped on coral! For some reason, I stayed on the monorail when I got to the transportation station...and traveled in a loop back to EPCOT...and then back to the transportation station, when I realized I had to switch monorails. Maybe the heat had gotten to me, maybe I just wanted to listen to the monorail voice tell me to please stand clear of the doors... I finally made my way to the MAGIC KINGDOM!!

(to be continued)

Last edited:

StitchSNK

Original Poster
Day 3: Friday, February 8th
Fri-yay! Today is rope drop at Hollywood Studios day! I woke up before my alarm...again! I had a quick peanut butter sandwich and by 7:15am I had ubered to Disney Springs and was on my way to SSR bus stop. The bus took its time this morning and I arrived to HS by 8:15am. Breezy bag check, and I was at the rope drop line with about 200 other people by 8:20am. Today I wore my Castaway Cay dress, as I'm counting down the days to another visit to the Disney Dream!! (165!!!!)

At 8:45, Hollywood Studios CMs welcomed us to the park and carefully corralled us to Toy Story Land - which was my destination this morning. I have never been to a more cut throat rope drop in my whole life. People were using their wheeled transportation devices to run people over. I decided no ride is ever worth rope drop ever again. I did make my way to Slinky Dog Dash - and managed to get through the queue in 10 minutes and was off by 9:00am!

Overall thoughts on Slinky Dog Dash : NOT WORTH THE WAIT. It's super as a mild roller coaster for kids, but I wouldn't wait for this ride over 30 minutes. I took the short line opportunity to walk onto Alien Saucer Swirl. I met a mom in line with her 3 daughters. She asked me kindly to sit in a saucer with two of her daughters since they wouldn't all fit into one, and I was happy to help! Personally, I won't ride A.S.S. again. Why am I such a tough ride critic?

I had breakfast at Woody's Lunchbox - a quick scrambled eggs and potato barrels (no gravy!). On my way out of Toy Story Land, I found a photopass CM and had some fun with the Pixar ball!

I slowly made my way to Rock n Roller Coaster - as this was my FAVORITE ride in 2006 and 2007. I even bought a purse in 2006 ( I wonder if I still have a picture of it) and thought I was the most cool kid ever! My single rider line wait was 5 minutes, and before I knew it, I was on my way to see Aerosmith!!!

10/10 still love this ride! I will be disappointed if (and when) Disney decides to change this ride. I decided to not ride it again given my outfit choice for the day...dresses and high speed roller coasters aren't the best combination. I had accomplished all that I wanted to at Hollywood Studios this morning. I had bigger plans at EPCOT, as that's where my FP+ reservations were for the day. I avoided Tower of Terror and instead took a picture with it. It's my least favorite ride - due to a quick 2006 story. My mom LOVES ToT and will ride is multiple times...she encouraged me to go on it, and it scarred me....it's like trying a food for the first time and hating it - you won't try it again.

I decided to walk to Hollywood Studios to EPCOT. The walk was SO MUCH shorter than last August, when I stayed at the Beach Club. The path was finally opened back up since the construction of the gondolas has made a lot of progress! I'll be staying at the Boardwalk in July...158 days to go! I sent a teasing picture to my mom!

I walked through the International Gateway in France and had one thing on my mind: Deconstructed Cheesecake.

OOOOOOOO This was incredible!!!!! The sauce on the bottom had glitter in it!! I all but licked the plate clean. My first FP+ of the day was for Soarin'! I made friends with some folks who were riding Soarin' for the first time and reassured them that the heights are nothing to be afraid of. They were an older couple and were so stinking cute! They held hands the whole flight. I followed up Soarin' with Living With the Land, a top 5 ride for every Disney World trip!

I made my way around the World Showcase, and stopped to drink a couple shots of espresso from Joffrey's. No margarita's in sight today!! I found Princess Mulan with no wait!! She didn't even give me an opportunity to ask her anything as she immediately asked me if I was going to see the matchmaker today since I looked so pretty in my dress! I blushed and let her know I am married. She gave me some wonderful advice on love and told me to remember to be patient!

A theme for today was FOOD. I was getting ready for a snack again and took a poll on my instagram: POPCORN OR GIANT PRETZEL. The giant pretzel won by a landslide! I headed to Germany and found a pretzel bigger than my head.

To be continued.

StitchSNK

Original Poster
Continued

I saw a queue forming for Snow White and lined up! She wouldn't come out to visit for another 25 minutes, but there had to be 15+ people in line already. I munched on my pretzel, the salt burning my tongue. I only managed to eat half before I gave up. I watched a man lose his meal to a bird, those things are FEARLESS! My meet with Snow White was cute. Again, I had no opportunity to ask my question first as Snow White immediately began commenting on how my ears were covered in diamond dust!! I felt rushed, but she did have a long queue.

I realized today was my final opportunity to meet Merida and I hopped on the Monorail (I didn't mess up this time) and made my way to Magic Kingdom!!! Merida's queue was directly in the sun. I re-applied my sunscreen as I watched some kids chasing a duck around. Those MK ducks sure have it rough!! Merida was my favorite meet and greet of the trip. I told her that I knew how to ride a horse, and I can shoot a bow (archery instructor!), but I couldn't ride a horse AND shoot a bow at the same time. Merida told me I should begin by strengthening my legs and learning to ride without my reigns and then shoot with marshmallows!! It was hilarious because she took the advice so seriously! The cutest!

Continuing with the theme of hungry, I got myself a Tink cone at Storybook. My husband was adamant I try it after we saw a post about it!!! I still prefer Peter Pan's Float, but it was delicious. My white chocolate tink ears fell on the ground, so I didn't get to taste those. And something about the texture between the cold smooth ice cream and the dry cotton candy just didn't sit right. It could just be me.

MORE FOOD. I ate at Diamond Horseshoe (yes, by myself) for the first time. An "all you can eat" restaurant. My CM's name was Russ and he was the absolute best CM I have ever met. He had been working for WDW for over 15 years! - I only knew this because I asked him what his pin on his name tag signified. I made sure to send him a CM Compliment on Twitter. I will be taking my family here when I come back in the summer. The food was spot on! I ate as much as a solo traveler could. I didn't eat anything for the rest of the day though, as I ate until I couldn't eat any more!!! That cornbread was the most delicious cornbread I've ever had.

I ended up taking the monorail back to EPCOT. On tonight's agenda was IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth. This is me and my husbands favorite show. I knew I couldn't miss it. On my continued quest to meet all of the Princesses, I got in line to meet Elsa and Anna!! I had the MOST fun with these ladies. Anna thought I had snow icicles on my head and told me I should hang out with Olaf because I gave great hugs!! I asked Queen Elsa how she was doing living in such a warm climate! She let me know that she "let's it go" and keeps a snow cloud over her head sometimes too.

I stopped for some more photopass opportunities, like this Tinkerbell Lantern photo!

As I walked to France, I found Princess Aurora without a line! She commented that I was wearing a lot of blue! But, I let her know my favorite color is pink. We had a short, but to the point, meet and greet.

I didn't take many photos after that. I thoroughly enjoyed being completely in the EPCOT bubble. I watched the mime's in France, the acrobats in China, and watched the amazing dancers at the fountain celebrating the FotA. Truly, a magical day!

StitchSNK

Original Poster
I love the rice krispie story!

I was going to ask how tall you are. Some of those princesses look very, very short!

Loving all the photopass pictures. That drink one is great!

Thank you! I had a ton of fun!

Looks like you had a fun time! Solo trip can be such fun. 🙂

I wish I could take a solo trip every year! I got to park hop and eat and wander around without worrying about anyone else's happiness except my own!

sheriffwoody

Loving this! I did a solo visit in July and had a blast, but it took me a little bit to warm up to it. Once I got used to being there on my own, it was a lot of fun. And meeting characters alone was a lot less awkward than I thought :joyfull: You got a TON of awesome meets with the princesses! I'm impressed.

StitchSNK

Original Poster
Loving this! I did a solo visit in July and had a blast, but it took me a little bit to warm up to it. Once I got used to being there on my own, it was a lot of fun. And meeting characters alone was a lot less awkward than I thought :joyfull: You got a TON of awesome meets with the princesses! I'm impressed.

Thank you! The first day definitely took some courage to go meet the face characters solo, but by the 4th day (which I'm writing up now!), it was like talking to a friend!

StitchSNK

Original Poster
Day 4: Saturday, February 9th
Today is my final park day for my solo trip. I had dinner plans in West Palm Beach with my grandparents by 6:30. I woke up this morning (to my alarm!) at 6:00am, excited to be going back to the parks, but feeling the sadness of ending my trip creeping in. I quickly packed up my belongings and bag checked it at the desk downstairs. Today's weather was the "chilliest" yet. Overcast with a breeze. I sported my light jacket and some shorts because 65 degrees is shorts weather to this New England native.

An uber to Disney Springs again and I hopped on the bus to the Magic Kingdom. There were no EMM hours, but I was in the park by 8:10am! The CMs let us wander Main Street USA. Predictably, I went and purchased my morning breakfast, a Mickey Krispy Treat. This one was decorated to look like a donut. Combining my love for Disney and doughnuts into one sugary breakfast treat!! MY FAVE! I also purchased three wrapped treats to take home. I was so tempted to buy the new 5lb Mickey shaped Krispy Treat, but for $20 and for the sake of my blood sugar levels, I decided not to. It was the size of my head!!

Strolling down Main Street, I found a cozy spot to watch the Magic Kingdom Welcome Show. This is an absolute MUST WATCH. It sets the tone for the entire day! The sincerity of the welcome speech brings so much happiness to my heart. My first FastPass+ of the day was at Space Mountain! I had 15 minutes to wander my way over to Tomorrowland prior to my FP+ (9:10) and so I took a seat and watched the line grow longer and longer at Space Mountain. I found a photopass CM and took a picture with one of my favorite rides!

I'm always cheesin' in these photos! Today, I had an important agenda: meet Jasmine, Tiana, and Rapunzel! The last princesses on my quest to meet them all! I rode Space Mountain, and for the first time, was actually nervous about keeping my hands straight up. So I have T-Rex arms in my ride photo. My ride companions didn't look too happy.

My next FP+ was for Pirates of the Caribbean! I had time so I rode the Carousel, which was a first for me. I definitely felt out of place and moms and dads held their kids on the horses and snapped cute photos. I won't be doing that again! I rode POTC and I never remember where the ride photo is, so here I am looking like I'm having the worst time!

It was only 10:35 when I got off of Pirates. I headed straight to meet Jasmine and Aladdin! They were a riot to talk to and encouraged me to ride my magic carpet instead of an airplane. I told them I'd be leaving shortly, but they asked if I could just stay!

To be continued.

StitchSNK

Original Poster
Day 4: Saturday, February 9th
Continued

I had a FP+ reservation for 7DMT at 2:55, that was cutting it really close to having to pick up my car...so I decided to let my reservation go, and I hope it made someone else happy! I was getting hungry and found the spring roll cart in Adventureland next! I got one of each - the buffalo chicken roll and the cheeseburger roll. I highly recommend them both and will definitely get these again! I had ADR at Be Our Guest for lunch today at 12:30, which I was really looking forward to. I had never been there before! I headed over to Fairytale Hall because the wait to meet Rapunzel and Tiana was only 10 minutes!! Rapunzel was my second favorite princess to meet. She greeted me warmly and immediately started commenting on my hair! We had a long discussion about using our hair to paint murals, and she reminded me to brush it and keep it clean (lol).

Tiana was just as wonderful to meet! She immediately asked me where I was from and what my home state was known for (Connecticut is known for pizza!). She asked me to share my pizza recipe with her and she'd share her recipes with me! I promised to send her the recipe as soon as I could.

Up next, I knew I had to go see Gaston!!!! Last February, when my husband and I took our trip during the Princess HM Weekend, our meet and greet with Gaston was my favorite character meet EVER. He ROASTED us so hard; it was the most un-G-rated conversation I ever had at WDW with a CM, but definitely memorable! No one roasts like Gaston! So, when I met Gaston this time, he wasn't nearly as funny. Maybe my expectations were too high...maybe having my husband with me last time made it more fun. But I did get to have a flex off with Gaston! I'd say I won, just because his fake quads aren't passable.

I was SO ready for lunch by this time and headed to BoG for my ADR quick service lunch. The Beast's castle is BEAUTIFUL. OMG. I ordered the French Onion Soup and the Ham and Gruyere sandwich with a side of veggies. While the food quality was delicious, I wouldn't do this ADR again given the price point for a soup and sandwich.

It was 1:00 pm when I got out of lunch. Plenty of time to get in a few more activities. I headed back to Tomorrowland to snag a photo at the purple wall. I did a couple handstand pictures with my phone set to self-timer, and was only slightly embarrassed. Do it for the 'gram!!

I have never been to the Enchanted Tiki Room, so I walked all the way around Cinderella's castle, but got side tracked by Anastasia and Drizella! EEEEEP! I waited in a pretty long line, but it was worth it. The step-sisters had a good 5 minute meet and greet with everyone they met and really got into character. I talked about my sister, and they said I resembled Cinderella...and we agreed to make funny photos. So we turned around and counted down from 3 and got some really hilarious photos. I had a wonderful time with this meet and greet!

I continued on my journey to the Enchanted Tiki Room. I had a few minutes before the next viewing and continued eating my way through MK by getting a Dole Whip Float. MMMMMMMMM!!!! The Enchanted Tiki Room was.... interesting. I know there's a huge following, but it was just a unique experience for me. I will probably take my husband to see it in July and bribe him with a Dole Whip.

The end of my day was here and I wandered back down Main Street USA. Today was the most crowded park day I had my whole trip. I took one last look down to the castle, smelled the popcorn, listened to the Main Street music, and took a Disney bus to Saratoga Springs. This was definitely an amazing vacation, and I am so so so grateful that I get to experience Disney World.

Up next: Final thoughts, comments, reviews, things I forgot to mention

Last edited:

StitchSNK

Original Poster
Final Wrap Up:
Review of Courtyard Marriott by Vista Centre: 2.5 out of 5 stars for me. The room was clean, and the accommodations were basic. The room was plain and not part of the updated rooms they were advertising. The bus shuttle times were not convenient (for me at least, as a rope-dropper). The breakfast was expensive and I made the mistake of paying for the buffet one morning when I was told I could just take a seat and grab food..no one had said it was $..the offerings were like any other Marriott breakfast so I assumed they were free (like most other Marriott hotels I stay at). Maybe I was in my Disney bubble and didn't notice a sign that said "Buffet $$$"...I make mistakes. I know I won't stay off resort ever again though. It's worth every penny to be on WDW property. I also missed being able to drop things off at my room mid-day. UBER was SO EXPENSIVE.

Attractions as a solo guest: Rides and attractions are not nearly as fun when you do them by yourself at Disney. When I rode Soarin' or Test Track, I just wished I could look over and see my husband's face, smiling with excitement, or hold hands with my little brother. I think this is why I didn't really emphasize rides this trip..as I'm usually an avid FP+ MDE stalker. I look forward to riding Flight of Passage in July with my husband. Definitely can't miss it next time.
I forgot to mention I saw the flag lowering ceremony at the Magic Kingdom on Wednesday. I just stumbled upon it as I was wandering. It was truly special, and I appreciate the tradition.

The greatest part about this trip was the fact that the only person I had to worry about was me! I pushed myself to exhaustion every day..but that's just what I do. I will always spend as much time in the parks as possible. I walk around and explore every corner of the park, examining all the details, soaking in the awesome people watching opportunities! If I wanted to walk the World Showcase 5 times (and I did), I could do so! I think next time I plan a solo trip, I'll make it another runDisney event weekend. But, with no plans to re-new my annual pass after August 2019, I'm not sure when my next solo trip will be!

Thanks for following me on my journey! I'm waiting for the day Disney gives me the opportunity to work full time for them as an engineer...until then, I will continue to visit the place where dreams come true!

winstongator

Fri-yay! Today is rope drop at Hollywood Studios day! I woke up before my alarm...again! I had a quick peanut butter sandwich and by 7:15am I had ubered to Disney Springs and was on my way to SSR bus stop. The bus took its time this morning and I arrived to HS by 8:15am. Breezy bag check, and I was at the rope drop line with about 200 other people by 8:20am. Today I wore my Castaway Cay dress, as I'm counting down the days to another visit to the Disney Dream!! (165!!!!)

View attachment 350816

At 8:45, Hollywood Studios CMs welcomed us to the park and carefully corralled us to Toy Story Land - which was my destination this morning. I have never been to a more cut throat rope drop in my whole life. People were using their wheeled transportation devices to run people over. I decided no ride is ever worth rope drop ever again. I did make my way to Slinky Dog Dash - and managed to get through the queue in 10 minutes and was off by 9:00am!

View attachment 350811

View attachment 350812

Overall thoughts on Slinky Dog Dash : NOT WORTH THE WAIT. It's super as a mild roller coaster for kids, but I wouldn't wait for this ride over 30 minutes. I took the short line opportunity to walk onto Alien Saucer Swirl. I met a mom in line with her 3 daughters. She asked me kindly to sit in a saucer with two of her daughters since they wouldn't all fit into one, and I was happy to help! Personally, I won't ride A.S.S. again. Why am I such a tough ride critic?

I had breakfast at Woody's Lunchbox - a quick scrambled eggs and potato barrels (no gravy!). On my way out of Toy Story Land, I found a photopass CM and had some fun with the Pixar ball!

View attachment 350813

I slowly made my way to Rock n Roller Coaster - as this was my FAVORITE ride in 2006 and 2007. I even bought a purse in 2006 ( I wonder if I still have a picture of it) and thought I was the most cool kid ever! My single rider line wait was 5 minutes, and before I knew it, I was on my way to see Aerosmith!!!

View attachment 350814

10/10 still love this ride! I will be disappointed if (and when) Disney decides to change this ride. I decided to not ride it again given my outfit choice for the day...dresses and high speed roller coasters aren't the best combination. I had accomplished all that I wanted to at Hollywood Studios this morning. I had bigger plans at EPCOT, as that's where my FP+ reservations were for the day. I avoided Tower of Terror and instead took a picture with it. It's my least favorite ride - due to a quick 2006 story. My mom LOVES ToT and will ride is multiple times...she encouraged me to go on it, and it scarred me....it's like trying a food for the first time and hating it - you won't try it again.

View attachment 350815

I decided to walk to Hollywood Studios to EPCOT. The walk was SO MUCH shorter than last August, when I stayed at the Beach Club. The path was finally opened back up since the construction of the gondolas has made a lot of progress! I'll be staying at the Boardwalk in July...158 days to go! I sent a teasing picture to my mom!

View attachment 350817

I walked through the International Gateway in France and had one thing on my mind: Deconstructed Cheesecake.

View attachment 350818

OOOOOOOO This was incredible!!!!! The sauce on the bottom had glitter in it!! I all but licked the plate clean. My first FP+ of the day was for Soarin'! I made friends with some folks who were riding Soarin' for the first time and reassured them that the heights are nothing to be afraid of. They were an older couple and were so stinking cute! They held hands the whole flight. I followed up Soarin' with Living With the Land, a top 5 ride for every Disney World trip!

I made my way around the World Showcase, and stopped to drink a couple shots of espresso from Joffrey's. No margarita's in sight today!! I found Princess Mulan with no wait!! She didn't even give me an opportunity to ask her anything as she immediately asked me if I was going to see the matchmaker today since I looked so pretty in my dress! I blushed and let her know I am married. She gave me some wonderful advice on love and told me to remember to be patient!

View attachment 350820

A theme for today was FOOD. I was getting ready for a snack again and took a poll on my instagram: POPCORN OR GIANT PRETZEL. The giant pretzel won by a landslide! I headed to Germany and found a pretzel bigger than my head.

View attachment 350821

To be continued.
Agree on SDD not being worth the rope drop hassle. We did that this Saturday and it was the strollers running into people. I just let the one behind me keep hitting me until they gave up on my moving. Another woman was yelling at the guest in front of her that it was the guest getting bumped’s fsult for her hitting them, not her aggressive maneuvering of her double stroller. I was with my daughters so a lesson for them on how not to act. Really it’s the lengths people will go to save 5-10 min, as we were off the ride by 9 even without pushing to get to the front.

I’ve had better luck with FoP rope drops. There’s a much larger area to queue and they let people go straight from the tap points. Much better ride than SDD and better overall experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom