"You sir, are very kind." - An August Birthday TR

To start things off, this trip was to celebrate my (gasp) 30th birthday. It’s something I never thought I’d do because if falls at the end of August and we try to avoid going in the summer. But when I found out that a Star Wars convention was in town that was more than enough reason for me to book a Disney trip as well!

Ready everybody? ‘Cause here…we….goooo!

8.24 - DEPARTURE DAY Today was the day! Around 5 in the evening we loaded the suitcases in the car and were on our way. I slipped my WDW mix in the CD player and, with the original monorail loop playing in the background, we hit 95N. Needing a pre-flight meal we found an Arbys along the way and I must say that original roast beef hit the spot. The rest of the drive to Dulles was pretty uneventful. Once we arrived we didn’t have to wait long for the shuttle to pick us up and bring us to the main terminal. The only problem was Brandon and I had to walk clear to the other end of the ticketing area to check-in (oops.) Security was fast and easy. There was a lady in front of me who couldn’t get the concept of moving her bag down the line on the conveyor belt. So I tried to push it forward and got caught by the security guy. Heh heh. He said rather loudly, “You do not need to shove the bags.” My bad. Once it was my turn I got a little thrown off because a woman from the other line stepped in front of me with her kid. So the same security guy, who must have noticed my Star Wars hoodie, said to me: “Boba Fett, step over this way.” Thanks dude! Since it’s been a couple of years since I’ve flown I was curious if I’d get the pat-down or the scanner. The scanner won out on this one and it took a total of 10 seconds to do. Not too shabby. Once the shoes and belts were back on we caught the “mobile transport” across the tarmac to our gate. As we disembarked the transport I was hit with the lovely aroma of Dunkin Donuts coffee and knew I had to get some before I boarded the plane. Brandon and I settled in at the gate and I anxiously watched the clock.

BrandonplayingtheVita.jpg

Brandon busy with his PSVita

Waitingatthegate.jpg

Waiting for a jet plane...

So…the flight landed and they deboarded the passengers but we were still sitting there waiting for a boarding announcement. As it turns out there was a maintenance issue they found after the plane had landed. Oh joy. At this point I called my aunt and uncle who were supposed to be picking us up in Orlando and let them know of the delay. I’m so lucky that they were cool with waiting up for us. Finally we changed gates and were given a boarding time: 11:40pm almost two hours after the scheduled time.This meant that we wouldn’t be in MCO until after 2am. Ugh.

MST3Kpreflightviewing.jpg

Appropriate MST3K is appropriate "Here we're flying in another trumpet section."

We got on board and after cramming my suitcase in the overhead, I buckled up and was never more ready to take off. The good thing about having a delay that late at night is not having to wait in line on the runway. MCO - here we come! The flight was fairly typical. Once we landed and got the all-clear, Brandon and I retrieved our bags and blearily headed to the tram.

TimewhenwefinallygottoMCO.jpg
Yup, that's almost 2:30am.

It was so weird riding the tram at night.Every single time I’ve flown into MCO it’s been in the morning so needless to say I was tripping out a little at it being so quiet and well – dark!

Once we got to the main terminal it was strange not heading for Magical Express after we got down to the baggage claim level.Instead we went straight outside and looked for our ride. The trip to my aunt and uncle’s house was short and I thanked them profusely for picking me and Brandon up so late.We chatted for a little bit then it was time to hit the hay because in a mere four hours we’d be heading out the door for breakfast.

8.25 – STAR WARS CELEBRATION AND OUR MAGIC KINGDOM EVENING

It’s amazing how fast time flies when you’re really tired.I awoke to the chime on my phone and took a minute to realize where I was and where I’d be going today…Star Wars Celebration!

My aunt and uncle suggested Cracker Barrel for breakfast, which Brandon and I happily agreed to.I haven’t eaten there in forever…love me some grits!After a lovely meal and some great conversation it was time to head over to Coronado Springs to officially check-in!

AlmosttoCoronado.jpg

Almost there!

CoronadoSpringsentrance.jpg

We pulled into the drop-off area and said good-bye to my aunt and uncle.I really couldn’t thank them enough.Then Brandon and I made our way to the lobby.

Coronadolobby.jpg

CeilinginCoronadolobby.jpg

Coronadoregistration.jpg

Nothing compares to the first hit of air conditioning when you walk into a Disney hotel.I still haven’t figured out what makes the air so different but I wish I could bottle up that scent.I approached the Online Check-In counter and the CM quickly found my reservation.She stepped away for a moment and came back with my packet along with a Vinylmation. Hmm…very interesting.Turns out it was a gift thanks to the fact that I booked our room as a guest of Star Wars Celebration. Nice!Right before the CM finalized everything, I asked her if she had a birthday button.She smiled and put my name on one.It was ridiculous how happy I was to get that thing and I pinned it right on.We thanked the CM and left the lobby out the back doors to find our way to Casitas 2…our home for the weekend.

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
DSC04268.jpg

We could tell the park was busier than it had been so we tried to choose things based on low wait times. Sadly, Pirates and the mountains were out of the question. We checked the Haunted Mansion but ended up going to the Hall of Presidents. Finally! The past two trips we had mentioned checking out the show but never seemed to get around to it. Up next I think was the Mansion then it was straight on to Tomorrowland, since Fantasyland was jam packed.

The failsafe always ends up being the Peoplemover. I wanted to stay on for another round but sadly it was not to be. We thought about going on Buzz but the line was getting pretty long. I suggested the Laugh Floor and I think we had one of the best experiences ever in there! The characters were so great with the audience. There was classic kid confusion as well as an embarrassed older lady who didn’t quite grasp the brand of humor of the show. Oh and That Guy was a great sport. I was really glad to have stopped in there as our last show. Nice to leave with a smile on the face.

We strolled out of Tomorrowland past the Noodle Terrace and onto Main Street. I knew I wanted one last snack before we left and I had my sights set on the bakery. I decided on a gigantic walnut brownie and a French vanilla iced coffee. Delicious.

DSC04270.jpg

I actually couldn’t finish the whole thing so Brandon wrapped it up like 20 times in napkins and tucked into the bag for later (try two days later, and still moist! Holla!) Then it was time to get that one last look at the castle. This has become another one of my traditions. I take just maybe two or three minutes and stand in the plaza, looking down the street at the castle. Remember all of the fun things we had done and how much this place feels like home. It’s always so bittersweet leaving the park. I know we’re going to be back but I always have that feeling that I don’t ever want to trip to end. I took a breath and with one last look I knew I was ready to go.

DSC04271.jpg

DSC04272.jpg

Last picture of the trip. *sniff*

The bus ride back was quiet as usual. I really enjoyed Coronado and wouldn’t mind staying there again in the future. Soon the not-so-Magical Express pulled up and we were on our way back to MCO with the most depressing video. I was glad the volume was turned down. We grabbed our bags and started the arduous journey back home. We’ll be back to Disney World in a couple of years, so in the meantime I’ll look through my pictures and videos and wait until I hear “Welcome Home.”

FINAL THOUGHTS

Ladies, if you ever want to feel like a princess on your birthday definitely visit Disney. The button was great for interactions with just about everyone from CMs to guests. One of my favorite random moments was when a kid at our resort pool said Happy Birthday to me. It actually caught me completely off guard! I was like, "Is he really talking to me?"

Coronado was a really nice resort. I was glad to stay in the Casitas and I kind of liked that our building was tucked away. We did have a bus stop across the parking lot which came in handy from time to time. And speaking of buses, aside from getting to and from DTD we had no issues. I think we'll stick to French Quarter and Riverside if we want to hang out at DTD, it's just easier taking the boat. Oh! The other thing I liked about Coronado was the quick grab-n-go for breakfast. The pastries always tasted fresh.

Disney in the rain can be fun! Even though I was soaked to the bone at the MK I had such a blast and was definitely an interesting way to start the day.

Okay, so my experience with Vinylmation trading...it was not too bad and I had a nice CM who gave me one extra pick. I ended up swapping my Typhoon Lagoon figure at EPCOT for a Pluto. Then he got traded at the MK for a WDW40th edition that matches one I have at home. I wouldn't say I've gone Vinylmation crazy but I do like the theme park series, especially the retro EPCOT ones. Definitely something to keep an eye out for on our next trip.

I was proud of myself because I ended up taking more pictures even though it was a short visit. And I didn't take the same set of shots I always do, I actually made an effort to look for details and random opportunities. I do wish I had a few more character pictures but I think we just didn't have enough time.

I think our next trip will be in 2014 probably at the Wilderness Lodge unless I can try to squeeze in a visit this coming year to celebrate graduating from my medical assistant program. Not sure if we can swing it but a girl can try! *fingers crossed for some great discounts!*

Thanks so much for following along! :D

Englebabies

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip and you can count on an extra pair of fingers crossed for you that you can go in 2013! Thanks for a great TR

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
wow!! all 4 parks and hopping 6 times in one day? sounds like an awesome and exhausting final day at the parks. Do you remember how long you actually waited in line for TSMM? Its a great ride, but it blows my mind that ppl wait soo long in line for it. Awesome trip report. loved the pics with br'er bear and chip n dale (dale's my fave character as a kiddo). i didn't know about citrus swirls before this TR and now it's a must do for me on my next trip :D that star wars celebration was amazing!! that rancor must have looked awesome up close. how long before you two recovered from these marathon-like days at the parks?

I think we waited maybe 30min for Toy Story Mania, it definitely wasn't as long as the posted time. I couldn't imagine waiting any longer than that for it.

You should definitely try a Citrus Swirl! I always end up getting a Dole Whip but I'm so glad I grabbed a Swirl. It's fantastic-orange-goodness!

We did pretty well after running non-stop for the whole weekend. I look forward to taking a longer trip next time just so we don't have to try to cram everything in.

Loving your report so far and the added star wars photos. Must say I love your "duck" t-shirt and that killer Boba hoodie! I want one!

Looking forward to more of your report.

Thanks! I had a guy stop me under the train station as we were heading into the MK (in a crowd of people no less!) ask me where I got the shirt. I found it at my local Disney store on the clearance rack! Love finding stuff like that on sale. And the Boba hoodie was picked up at Hot Topic, I loved wearing it around the convention. :)

WishIWasAtWDW

Great trip report! I love your pictures! You all really packed a lot into such a short trip! I'm very impressed with park hopping to all 4 parks in one day. I have yet to try that. I only ever seem to have enough energy for 2 parks in a day. :) I totally agree with you about getting teary eyed during Wishes and We Go On. Such great songs. They really pull at your heart strings. :D I hope you do get to stay at the Wilderness Lodge in 2014! That is my favorite resort!! Thanks so much for sharing your trip report!

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
Great trip report! I love your pictures! You all really packed a lot into such a short trip! I'm very impressed with park hopping to all 4 parks in one day. I have yet to try that. I only ever seem to have enough energy for 2 parks in a day. :) I totally agree with you about getting teary eyed during Wishes and We Go On. Such great songs. They really pull at your heart strings. :D I hope you do get to stay at the Wilderness Lodge in 2014! That is my favorite resort!! Thanks so much for sharing your trip report!

Thanks for reading! :D Park hopping that much can be a challenge and we figure out what rides we really want to do before we go to the next park. When we did the Studios, then back to EPCOT then back to the Studios I was amazed we pulled that one off. That was a crazy long day! The short trips like this one make me appreciate everything so much more when we stay longer. That's when we take our time. :)

Love the TR! We usually fly out of Dulles, too, but this time we got a good deal at Reagan and I'm nervous of the traffic! I turned 30 this year too, yay for EPCOT babies!

John Sharock

That cast member is Nicholas! We just saw had our own little birthday encounter at the Emporium with him two months ago! He showed us a whole dance for my daughter's birthday, it was fantastic. I got his full name if you have any interest: Nicholas Bulus, got it from a manager so I could write a letter. I strongly urge you to write a letter to the company. Disney comends cast members that go above and beyond. The email I used is: wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom