You guys mind if an out of towner judges your city a little?

NobodyElse

Absolutely. So, they have Kidd's buffet, which I assume is a one off. But even the locations of larger chains seem to be pretty bad. I remember eating at Denny's after my last trip. I'm a big fan of Denny's. But it was a terrible experience. The lobby was cluttered with generic Disney merch and cardboard cutouts. Not to mention it took forever to get my food, and when I did, my pancakes were burnt to high heaven. I didn't know Denny's was capable of burning pancakes!

I have more stories. Sure, all anecdotal, but you'd think such a prime location would spawn prime versions of chains.

Thank you for clarifying. Also, thank you for mentioning that your stories are anecdotal. That's an important component to consider.

(And now for some quick background. I grew up in Anaheim, but haven't been a resident for over 30 years, though I've remained in Orange County. This will color some of my comments, but at this point I'm neither highly protective/defensive nor critical of the area.)

We've now determined that the chains you're referring to are the eating establishments. So, immediately Disneyland adjacent on Harbor I would count Mimi's Cafe, Panera Bread, McDonald's, IHOP, Cold Stone Creamery, (the aforementioned) Denny's, Tony Roma's, and Subway. I'd even include Sabrosada, (and if you wrap around the corner on Katella, you've got five more big corporate chains at Gardenwalk).

While nobody should or could dispute your experience at Denny's or any of the others, I don't think we can conclude (based on that) that they are "bad versions of chains". In my opinion, you and I and several of our peers would need to visit those places multiple times. We would also need to visit other locations of those chains (multiple times) to get a good comparison. In this case, I'm not willing to take one for the team.

(Being a big fan of Denny's, can you imagine if burnt pancake visit was your one and only visit? some people might write-off the entire chain based on that. You might not think that's a fair judgement, but things like that happen.)

Also, you note: "you'd think such a prime location would spawn prime versions of chains." While one would like to think that, the reality could very well be just the opposite. Sometimes places with "pseudo-captive audiences", catering to perhaps one-time visitors might actually have less incentive to step up their game and stand out as a shining beacon of aspiration to their corporate or franchise siblings. Likely not enough profit in something like that.

Being that I live in relatively close proximity, I'm really prone to not visit those places on Harbor. I don't stay at any of those hotels, so I'm not likely to be walking the area and hitting those places to or from the park. On a visit, I'll usually eat in one of the parks, DTD, or one of the Disney hotels. (Or if leaving early enough, I'll go to any number of great places between the resort district and my home.)

So, as you can see from the pictures, Anaheim has done a better than average job of sprucing up the surrounding street-scape. For me, it's an area I drive through. The best they could do is further improve traffic flow. Perhaps even some day update the "uniform resort signage".

Like I said, it has been worse, and can still get better. In that same vein (as others have alluded to) it's also nicer than some areas, and not as nice as others. Welcome to reality.

Rebel_

Anaheim is about on par with Kissimmee, maybe actually a little better. Unfortunately, leaving property is just a few steps away at the DLR as opposed to WDW where you can drive 20 minutes and still not see the gross awfulness that lurks outside the main gate.
This is what I was thinking.
Have you seen International Drive?
Maybe not so much the homelessness, but the scuzzy.

nevol

Have you seen Universal Orlando? Somehow it is way nicer than Disneyland (parks beside the point) and they're working with roughly the same amount of space.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Anaheim isn’t my city.

Anaheim consists of more than just Harbor in front of Disneyland. In saying that, when I lived in Anaheim, I didn’t have much fun. Anaheim just isn’t that girl.

Regarding the homeless, they don’t bother me. I also don’t care about those asking for money, the strip malls down the street, or the bad restaurants nearby. They are absolutely no big deal to me.

I’d be curious to know how much of Southern California you’ve visited/lived in.

What is your city in California?

Phroobar

To be fair, I think just about any city or area would be "dumpy" when associated with Disneyland.
Anaheim is no Irvine or Mission Viejo or Laguna Hills but is a lot better than Garden Garbage Grove, Orange, Buena Park or Orlando. The crime rate is lower in Anaheim vs Orlando. Anaheim got a C- in crime while Orlando got an F. Seems like Orlando is not a place you want to leave park boundaries.

https://www.areavibes.com/anaheim-ca/crime/

https://www.areavibes.com/orlando-fl/crime/

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Anaheim is no Irvine or Mission Viejo or Laguna Hills but is a lot better than Garden Garbage Grove, Orange, Buena Park or Orlando. The crime rate is lower in Anaheim vs Orlando. Anaheim got a C- in crime while Orlando got an F. Seems like Orlando is not a place you want to leave park boundaries.

https://www.areavibes.com/anaheim-ca/crime/

https://www.areavibes.com/orlando-fl/crime/

Interesting.

I'll gladly stay put in my home city lol:
1526940939853.png

1526941037285.png

1526941077943.png

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Not sure why you’re showing me this. Is this supposed to make me feel some type of way for being born and raised and living here?

Not planning on leaving anytime soon. I love my home.

Not at all. I'm glad you love it. I originally quoted you because you said Anaheim wasn't your type of city, so I was curious as to what was. You stated the homeless, the strip malls, and the bad restaurants don't bother you - besides the clusters of homes, isn't that what Anaheim is as a whole? (i'm being facetious but still)

The homeless bother me greatly. I know people who have lost themselves to drugs and are drifting between homelessness and couch sharing. I was asked one trip, at a gas station just down the street from Anaheim, if I had any weed to sell while the guy was scratching the heck out of his arm. Why doesn't the homelessness bother you?

Californian Elitist

Not at all. I'm glad you love it. I originally quoted you because you said Anaheim wasn't your type of city, so I was curious as to what was. You stated the homeless, the strip malls, and the bad restaurants don't bother you - besides the clusters of homes, isn't that what Anaheim is as a whole? (i'm being facetious but still)

The homeless bother me greatly. I know people who have lost themselves to drugs and are drifting between homelessness and couch sharing. I was asked one trip, at a gas station just down the street from Anaheim, if I had any weed to sell while the guy was scratching the heck out of his arm. Why doesn't the homelessness bother you?

No, it’s not. Have you ever lived in Anaheim? And I didn’t say it wasn’t my type of city. I said it’s not my city, meaning I don’t live there. I live in Los Angeles.

I was speaking in relation to my Disneyland trips. Seeing homeless folks, bad restaurants, and strip malls outside the parks don’t ruin my trips in any way. I still have a good time. The “magic bubble” concept people talk about doesn’t apply to me.

Homelessness in general does bother me.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
No, it’s not. Have you ever lived in Anaheim? And I didn’t say it wasn’t my type of city. I said it’s not my city, meaning I don’t live there.

I was speaking in relation to my Disneyland trips. Seeing homeless folks, bad restaurants, and strip malls outside the parks don’t ruin my trips in any way. I still have a good time. The “magic bubble” concept people talk about doesn’t apply to me.

Homelessness in general does bother me.

I apologize - "Anaheim isn’t my city" isn't the same thing as "I don't live in Anaheim", so hopefully you can see where I mixed that up and said Anaheim isn't your type of city.

No, I've never lived in Anaheim. I thought that was apparent by my lack of understanding for the city "outside" of Disneyland since I guess it's not all Homeless folks, bad restaurants, and strip malls.

Living in the city I am today, I am extremely grateful for how much my local government puts into city beautification, public safety, and their ability to attract high-end jobs. I wonder how, with all the money and tourism DL brings in, Anaheim is in such weird shape. I'm happy you have great time at DL, as do I and hopefully millions of other tourists.

George Lucas on a Bench

Homelessness doesn't bother me the way it bothers you because I have been homeless myself many times. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and, now, here I am at the grandest theme park in the world drinking Mint Juleps with you fine people.

180º

Not sure why you’re showing me this. Is this supposed to make me feel some type of way for being born and raised and living here?

Not planning on leaving anytime soon. I love my home.
☝️Agreed, and this is what I was talking about on page one.

Homelessness doesn't bother me the way it bothers you because I have been homeless myself many times. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and, now, here I am at the grandest theme park in the world drinking Mint Juleps with you fine people.
To making it count!

Californian Elitist

I apologize - "Anaheim isn’t my city" isn't the same thing as "I don't live in Anaheim", so hopefully you can see where I mixed that up and said Anaheim isn't your type of city.

No, I've never lived in Anaheim. I thought that was apparent by my lack of understanding for the city "outside" of Disneyland since I guess it's not all Homeless folks, bad restaurants, and strip malls.

Living in the city I am today, I am extremely grateful for how much my local government puts into city beautification, public safety, and their ability to attract high-end jobs. I wonder how, with all the money and tourism DL brings in, Anaheim is in such weird shape. I'm happy you have great time at DL, as do I and hopefully millions of other tourists.

No worries.

Cheers to your local government.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom