Yet another entertainment cut at AK

Br’er Rabbit

Who are they exactly? I was told that many of the performers in Animal Kingdom are actually from Africa and it’s a lot cheaper to keep them around and wouldn’t be any cuts once regards to that area.

Br’er Rabbit

I found this video of them on YouTube. I didn't watch it because quite honestly I don't feel like it. Sorry if it isn't any good.

I can't say if I have ever seen them in person before. If I have I quickly forgot about them.

Oh yeah I remember seeing them last time I went. There was literally nobody watching them and they were putting on the show for nobody. Makes sense honestly why they would get cut.

Nottamus

Combined with all the other operating hour cuts and closures, AK seems to be a mess right now

IDK, i read the article, doesn't seem to be a 'mess' at all. One attraction only closed 15 minutes before park close. A couple maybe 30 minutes before. The only closure I've seen so far is Rafiki's, and that's temporary.

All is good. There is still tons of entertainment to be seen and experienced at AK.

stretchsje

I loved watching my wife participate in the show but expected it to be cut (or changed) because of it's implicit message of women belonging (or expecting to be) in the kitchen, cleaning. This might be more PC Police than budget cut, perhaps a bit of both. What a shame as it's one of my most entertaining, hysterical memories at this park. (At least I've got it all on video!)

geekza

I loved watching my wife participate in the show but expected it to be cut (or changed) because of it's implicit message of women belonging (or expecting to be) in the kitchen, cleaning. This might be more PC Police than budget cut, perhaps a bit of both. What a shame as it's one of my most entertaining, hysterical memories at this park. (At least I've got it all on video!)
I'm fairly certain the mythical "PC Police" had nothing to do with this. Right now, Disney is cost-cutting left and right and live entertainment is usually first on the chopping block because of the recurring costs of having to pay Equity wages and benefits to an actor. Honestly, I'm sad to ever see live entertainment cut as I have always felt that it adds something unique and fun that helps a park come to life. This particular show isn't my bag, but everyone has different tastes.

tissandtully

Oh yeah I remember seeing them last time I went. There was literally nobody watching them and they were putting on the show for nobody. Makes sense honestly why they would get cut.
To be fair, if they were in that corridor near Harambe Market, there aren't a lot of people stopping and watching, it's not like the direct line of sight entrance to KS where the main stage is.

Kman101

According to Steve Soares site, the Karibu Sisters are no longer appearing in Harambe. Quite a loss for the atmosphere and authenticity of the land.

Combined with all the other operating hour cuts and closures, AK seems to be a mess right now. :confused:

Ugh. So sad.

AK is being gutted of it's entertainment. But hey, let's keep adding dance parties!

And a few of you have me rolling my eyes. Sorry but just because "people couldn't see them" isn't an excuse to cut entertainment. Again. Why do we insist on making excuses for them?

Kman101

You know dance parties are also entertainment, right? They may not be your taste, but your sentence is incoherent. "AK is being gutted of entertainment, but they keep adding entertainment."

What's your point? I know what I said :) but thanks for your input Captain. Do you have something to add to the thread beyond trying to call me out or something? LOL. People seem to enjoy trying to "correct" me or something? Sometimes a rant is just a rant Captain ;) no need to "correct" me.

If you enjoy that and call it entertainment, go for it. I don't. I'm aware there's a group who like dance parties. So that's all we should go down to? Let's just keep cutting actual ACTS and focus on foam heads dancing? Ok then. :)

erasure fan1

I'm fairly certain the mythical "PC Police" had nothing to do with this. Right now, Disney is cost-cutting left and right and live entertainment is usually first on the chopping block
While I agree with this cut was part of the cost cutting because its "live entertainment", The PC police aren't mythical. Just ask POTC. ;)

Casper Gutman

What's your point? I know what I said :) but thanks for your input Captain. Do you have something to add to the thread beyond trying to call me out or something? LOL. People seem to enjoy trying to "correct" me or something? Sometimes a rant is just a rant Captain ;) no need to "correct" me.

If you enjoy that and call it entertainment, go for it. I don't. I'm aware there's a group who like dance parties. So that's all we should go down to? Let's just keep cutting actual ACTS and focus on foam heads dancing? Ok then. :)
I think calling dance parties “entertainment” is a real stretch. It’s taped music and randomly gyrating costumed characters. There really is nothing “performative” - ie, directed at spectators - about it. You’d probably be closer if you called it an “attraction.”

And honestly, does anyone other then very young children and their parents enjoy those parties? And, even more honestly, how much do even very young children enjoy them compared to, say, a dark ride? It seems likely that the people who enjoy them the most are WDW executives.

winstongator

Aren't the operating hours of Animal Kingdom more than they were 2 or 3 years ago? AK park hours 10/14/15 were 9-6. AK today is 9-8.

Animaniac93-98

Except my point is correct. If people want to make the argument that live entertainment is being downgraded or made worse, fine, make that argument. But people are making the argument that these are cuts for financial reasons. Cutting one act and adding other acts is not a net cut.

Perhaps not all entertainment costs the same? Some less than others?

I'm not the smurt one here though...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom