Yet another cutback?!? MK Entertainment

TomP

Oh good grief! Thanks for taking me to that dark place again :eek: I can't count how many Basic programs I had to re-write in COBOL (my own and those of others) for self documentation. :arghh:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It is indeed, One of the great things about old school COBOL is if you used reasonable variable names the code indeed was self documenting.

Did you ever see the Letterman with Adm. Grace Hopper? - She totally OWNED him he was speechless after she got through with him.

For Those who don't know
Adm. Grace Hopper created the specification for the COBOL language, I think because she hated the way JOVIAL (Junior Officers Version of the Incomprehensible Algorithmic Language) worked.

Great video. Thanks for sharing

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think the ultimate bit of COBOL code I saw was on a Wang VS100, One of the programmers wrote a program which displayed a christmas tree with blinking lights and falling snow (asterisks)

TomP

I think the ultimate bit of COBOL code I saw was on a Wang VS100, One of the programmers wrote a program which displayed a christmas tree with blinking lights and falling snow (asterisks)

OK....THIS is my last post :p

I've seen programs like that. We had a couple of programmers that would write code to play simple tunes on the line printer (remember those?). I...of course...would never have done something like that b/c it would have wasted company resources and billable time :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
OK....THIS is my last post :p

I've seen programs like that. We had a couple of programmers that would write code to play simple tunes on the line printer (remember those?). I...of course...would never have done something like that b/c it would have wasted company resources and billable time :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Yeah, no one ever wrote code on company time using company resources solely to amuse themselves.....

:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom