Yet Another 20K Sub Rumor

cherrynegra

Original Poster
40 Million Dollars Under the Sea

Ah, 40 Million, it has such a familiar ring to it. That's the ballpark figure that the Submarine Voyage remodel we've been following for over a year has to come in under for the project to get a final greenlight.

Over the next six weeks a group of WDI employees will be crawling around Disneyland's Submarine lagoon and inspecting the fleet of vehicles. The current plan is to install the basic special effects show package inside one of the vehicles in late August and early September, run it through a crash course and make sure it's something that could work, and then put on a show for Michael Eisner and the other big execs by the end of September. If Mikey likes it, the greenlight will theoretically be lit with Disney's new fiscal year that starts October 1st.

The ride concept they are going for this time is a combination of some of the effects they had cooked up back in 1998 in a last ditch attempt to save the ride from Paul Pressler's plan to shut it down for good. That ambitious plan added a lot more suspense to the ride, with portholes that would crack right before your eyes and a leaky hull that would creak and groan under the pressure from an attacking squid.

Six years later, some of that technology has resurfaced for this latest attempt at bringing back the Subs, but with a much more lighthearted Finding Nemo storyline. Sharp-eyed observers will likely be able to notice some of this action going on in the lagoon over the next few weeks, and we'll be there to document what we can from the shoreline.

Wish the guys and gals on this Submarine salvage project luck, as they are in a race against time to get something together that will impress Eisner enough to open up Burbank's pocketbook. BTW it was Bruce Gordon who actually sparked the original rumor at the NFFC convention when he said to keep an eye on the Lagoon.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
You know, at first I thought the idea of bringing Nemo to Tomorrowland was a good move. But I read this email on another site that gave me pause. I think this guy has a good point of having the different lands losing their identity.

Every themed land at Disneyland had a purpose correct? What was Walt's vision for Tomorrowland specifically? How does a Finding Nemo adaptation of a previous ride support Walt's concept behind Tomorrowland?

Every attraction originally built in Tomorrowland helped support our visions of the future. Mission to Mars, Adventure through Innerspace (my condolences to those too young to ride/remember this attraction!) Star Tours, Space Mountain, Submarine Voyage, etc.

At the very least, these attractions encouraged us to think and hopefully dream about the future. Placing a ride in a themed land just for the sake of filling up space and keeping paying guests happy, fly’s in the face of the original concept for Disneyland! If you subscribe to this kind of ideology, all you end up with is an ordinary run-of-the-mill amusement park, which is exactly what Walt wanted to avoid in the first place! Not all new rides and attractions at Disneyland need to tie-in with a movie or cartoon! (Don't even get me started on the Buzz LightYear attraction). Although it’s a great cross-promotional technique, TDA and WDI cannot remain tied this line of thinking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom