Yensid coming to parks?

DisneyMusician2

I'm not really excited about this one....Disney once said that you can't sell pigs twice (referring to a recommended sequel to the Three Little Pigs Cartoon). I think today's Disney would do well to heed his advice, and come up with some NEW ideas and get back to some of their roots rather than constantly remaking things they have already done. Bring back the originality!

1disneydood

I really hope this dosen't happen. If it does happen, it'll flop like the others.

Think about how dumb it really is? Nicholas Cage? And what will happen with the apprentice? Replace Mickey, what human could possibly replace him? Or will they use a CGI/ trained mouae ala Stuart Little? It's just crazy.:hammer:

I really hope this dosen't happen. If it does happen, it'll flop like the others.

Think about how dumb it really is? Nicholas Cage? And what will happen with the apprentice? Replace Mickey, what human could possibly replace him? Or will they use a CGI/ trained mouae ala Stuart Little? It's just crazy.:hammer:

Exactly. Taking a classic Mickey cartoon and making it live action just seems like bad news

Brett

Reading the article, it doesn't seem like it's going to have anything to do with the classic animated piece. It's just trying to make another movie based around a recognizable Disney property. It could be alright. They did a fantastic job with Pirates and it really doesn't have much do with the ride at all.

But then there was the Country Bears....

TimeTrip

Umm.. This probably has NOTHING to do with Mickey.

Lawrence Konner and Mark Rosenthal are writing the screenplay, which takes its inspiration from Johann Wolfgang Goethe's original poem, which in turn was the inspiration for the classic Mickey Mouse animated sequence from Disney's 1940 classic "Fantasia."

Just because there was that sequence in Fantasia with Mickey doesn't mean that it is a live-action version based on that sequence. I actually think this might have some potential.

1disneydood

Umm.. This probably has NOTHING to do with Mickey.

Just because there was that sequence in Fantasia with Mickey doesn't mean that it is a live-action version based on that sequence. I actually think this might have some potential.
True, but IMO Fantasia wouldn't be much without him.:shrug:

DisneyMusician2

Like Alice, Peter Pan, Cindy, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Ect?

Yeah, at least those were original scores and something new to the studio. Doing "Cinderella 3" is a waste of time and resources. Disney already made an icon with the Mickey interpretation of Fantasia. They should let it go and try a different storyline and idea. The mickey rendition will live forever, and this might be (probably will be) a far second to the original.

coasterridr

I'm not really excited about this one....Disney once said that you can't sell pigs twice (referring to a recommended sequel to the Three Little Pigs Cartoon). I think today's Disney would do well to heed his advice, and come up with some NEW ideas and get back to some of their roots rather than constantly remaking things they have already done. Bring back the originality!

Thats true, after making two sequels to the Three Little Pigs and after seeing that the two sequels didn't have nearly the appeal of the original, Walt said "you can't top pigs with pigs" I guess the people that shared his logic are long gone.

Jekyll_Baker

I don't know how I feel about a live action Sorcerer's Apprentice, or even a Yensid walk-around character (I can already hear "who's that dude wearing Mickey's hat?"). But I could possibly see some sort of magic show, either a stage show or a street show, featuring some of Disney's cast of spellcasters - Merlin, Mim, Maleficent, Yensid, the Fairy Godmother, Genie, Jafar, etc. I know magic shows are kinda run of the mill, but Disney's theatrical abilities could tie it together with a surrounding show or musical, like other shows that have done well (Nemo, Tarzan, BatB, Little Mermaid,....)

csmat99

Yeah, at least those were original scores and something new to the studio. Doing "Cinderella 3" is a waste of time and resources. Disney already made an icon with the Mickey interpretation of Fantasia. They should let it go and try a different storyline and idea. The mickey rendition will live forever, and this might be (probably will be) a far second to the original.

I agree it would be great to have all original films but after all the movies that have been made there really isn't anything truly original anymore. They all borrow from each other. The difference is when you have a true visionary who can take something old and make it his or her own. I was upset when I heard Willy Wonka was being remade but after I saw it Tim Burton and our friend Johnny Depp really pulled it off. Just because something is original doesn't mean it's good. I wouldn't pass judgment until after the movie is finished.

daverube

I don't know about y'all, but I'm not a big fan of taking stories set in the past and making a "modern" update.....I just don't find this type of film to be very original/thought provoking/entertaining....

my 2 cents....

dave

JungleSkip

While I agree that I'm not really excited about this. It isn't a remake of the classic cartoon, it was a short story that had nothing to do with Disney before Fantasia. That being said maybe they have something totally different in mind for this.

I think its a little rash to say Cinderella III is a waste of time and resources. Artisticly maybe. However these DTV sequals are produced overseas for a paltry sum and make millions. There is always a very delicate balance between quality and business sense.

chris15358

Blame Walt Disney

Actually if you think long and hard about it, Walt Disney was the originator of remakes. He remade all of those classic stories and fairy tales into animated movies that he made billions of dollars from. The Sorcer's Apprentice was a poem that he remade. Don't fault Disney management for remaking this story into a new one for a new generation.

DisneyMusician2

While I agree that I'm not really excited about this. It isn't a remake of the classic cartoon, it was a short story that had nothing to do with Disney before Fantasia. That being said maybe they have something totally different in mind for this.

I think its a little rash to say Cinderella III is a waste of time and resources. Artisticly maybe. However these DTV sequals are produced overseas for a paltry sum and make millions. There is always a very delicate balance between quality and business sense.

None of the classic cartoons we love had anything to do with Disney before they took a preexisting story and re-created it. They made an original musical score, often re-wrote a little bit, and really made something that a studio could be proud of. I even enjoy many of the latest Pixar developments as very original in their interpretation and very funny. But these constant sequels and modern remakes to classics eat up resources that could be diverted elsewhere. And I think they take away artistically from the originals. I would love to see an old-fashioned musical movie from Disney again...it has been way too long.

JungleSkip

I agree that they have no artistic merit whatsoever and do hurt the original franchise (DTV sequals). But the goal of these products is not to advance the Disney legacy, its to make a quick buck. And they do.

However I will tell you that we will soon see the end of these types of films. This is the final film for Disney Australia. The studio has been closed and all of its equiptment auctioned off. This film had been in development for years. By the time John Lasseter came to the table in his current capacity it wasn't financially feasible to just cancel it all together.

Rogue21

Not so original score . . .

Just a minor point, and slightly off topic, but the music for Sleeping Beauty borrowed heavily from Tchaikovsky.

Originality is often about how an idea is interpreted or presented, not just if it is created out of thin air. Creating a truly original bit of anything, written or musical, is a rarity these days.

IMHO:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom