Yak & Yeti Has Great Sushi!

bethymouse

Original Poster
I just recently and for the first time ate dinner at Yak&Yeti. I had the Dragon Roll $12.99. It was delicious! The Won Ton soup was also very good. My son got the ribs. He ate every bite of the 1/2 rack. Our waiter was very nice. The mango iced tea was yummy too! Any other opinions? If you like Asian/Chinese food, then you'll enjoy it. Ask to sit on the 2nd floor.:)

Phonedave

I like Yak & Yeti. First time I tried it, I thought it was horrible - both food and service. Granted that was about 2 weeks after they opened, so I said maybe it was growing pains. I went back about a year later, and a complete turn around.I enjoy their food, and there service and kitchen pacing is a LOT better.

having said that, I have never had their sushi, and I doubt I ever will. Places that have one or two rolls on the menu are not for me. Teppan Edo is the same way. They have a California Roll and I believe a tuna roll on the menu. Ask them to make something else, and they cannot do it. Even something that has the ingredients that are in one of the other rolls. Try getting a cucumber roll - they should be able to do that, after all, its a california roll with no crab or avacado. Nope, they cant make it. Why, because all of their sushi was made hours ago in a differnt kitchen.

The fact that Yak and Yeti has one roll, and that roll is loaded with sauce, and spicy stuff tells me that the spicy tuna is most likely the scraps from trimming the tuna for their seared tuna dish, chopped up with spice, and kept in a large container in the reach in. The crab is most likely Krab. Then they load it up with sweet sauce. I'm sure it is tasty, but the taste is more about the sauce and spice than the fish.

I can't blame them, it is a great way to use any tuna scraps. However, now that I think about it, I would gather they are purchasing pre portioned tuna from their food supplier, not breaking down whole fish (or loins of fish) - so maybe their spicy tuna comes in a bag.

-dave

Figgy1

Premium Member
We were first timers last summer, lucked into an open ADR at the last minute and were quite surprised at how much we liked it. Both the food and service were really good and extra kudos to them because we both have allergies. This was an exceptional find
IMG_3128.JPG

JimW

Premium Member
I have never had their sushi, and I doubt I ever will. Places that have one or two rolls on the menu are not for me.

I'm with you on this one, but to honest, I take it a few steps further. Any place that only serves rolls is immediately out for me. If they aren't serving nigiri and sashimi, I'm staying away. (My list is actually much longer, but it doesn't have much relevance to the discussion at hand.)

I won't begrudge anyone who says that Yak and Yeti has great sushi. It's like saying that Outback has great steak. If you haven't had anything better, you won't have a point of reference.[/QUOTE]

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Try the Ahi Tuna nachos. It's enough to share, but here's a hint -- the next time I go back, that'll be my entree.

NiarrNDisney

Agreed as well as Splitsville! Both places have amazing sushi and are fairly priced though I will always love Kimonos and Kona Cafe.

JIMINYCR

We love Y&Y. Been dining there since it opened, sometimes twice in a trip. I enjoy the Shrimp Lo Mein and the Coconut shrimp. Youve got to try the Mango pie... the Fried Won Tons are great too. I'm not a fan of sushi but DS LOVES it, hes looking forward to having it at Disney at the Poly sushi bar.

Phonedave

I'm with you on this one, but to honest, I take it a few steps further. Any place that only serves rolls is immediately out for me. If they aren't serving nigiri and sashimi, I'm staying away. (My list is actually much longer, but it doesn't have much relevance to the discussion at hand.)

I won't begrudge anyone who says that Yak and Yeti has great sushi. It's like saying that Outback has great steak. If you haven't had anything better, you won't have a point of reference.

That is what I ment by "only one or two rolls" - I meant only one or two rolls and other else.

Dont get me wrong, I eat rolls (both maki and hand rolls) but I am not a big fan of over sauced, overly sweet rolls.

-dave

Phonedave

We were first timers last summer, lucked into an open ADR at the last minute

Ok, I am going to give away what is possibly a not too well known secret here.

Yak & Yeti (as well as T-Rex and Rainforest Cafe) are all part of the Landry's group of restaruants. If you are a Landry's club member, you do not need an ADR (or reservation) at any of their restaruants. You walk up, you tell them your membership, and you get seated. That applies to all Landry's locations - not just the ones at WDW.

I think the membership is around $25 - a one time fee. I'm not 100% sure because I got mine for free. I was a member at Morton's Steakhouse (which was free, but invite only) when Landry's bought that chain, and that automatically made me a Landry's member. I don't need ADRs at Yak and Yeti, and if I go during my birthday month, I get a $25 credit. It's a nice perk to have.

-dave

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Try the Ahi Tuna nachos. It's enough to share, but here's a hint -- the next time I go back, that'll be my entree.

We didnt particularly enjoy them (had them on the 22nd of September). The sauce was nice, but the wonton "chips" were strange. It pales in comparison to the old appetizer they had ... seared Ahi rolled in crushed peppercorns and cayenne .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom