Xbox 360 or PS3?

Goofy6294

We're looking at getting my 5 & 10 year old boys either an Xbox or PS3 for Christmas since our Wii just died. Which is better for kids that age, including the Kinect/Move add-on?

flynnibus

Premium Member
We're looking at getting my 5 & 10 year old boys either an Xbox or PS3 for Christmas since our Wii just died. Which is better for kids that age, including the Kinect/Move add-on?

That's a tad young for Xbox... but there is content out there for that age group. It's just not the core of the audience. The Kinect works great and kids would like it. It's not going to dominate things.

My 9yr old plays Minecraft a lot on xbox and loves that she can chat with her friends... but all the years prior she's been playing the Wii.

Depending on what's wrong with your Wii, they aren't hard to fix. If it's just the Disc drive, that can be replaced yourself for about $40. If it just won't power on at all, make sure it's not just the safety fault in the power supply. Unplug the power supply from the Wii and wall for about 30mins and then reconnect it.

Goofy6294

That's a tad young for Xbox... but there is content out there for that age group. It's just not the core of the audience. The Kinect works great and kids would like it. It's not going to dominate things.

My 9yr old plays Minecraft a lot on xbox and loves that she can chat with her friends... but all the years prior she's been playing the Wii.

Depending on what's wrong with your Wii, they aren't hard to fix. If it's just the Disc drive, that can be replaced yourself for about $40. If it just won't power on at all, make sure it's not just the safety fault in the power supply. Unplug the power supply from the Wii and wall for about 30mins and then reconnect it.
Both of them love to play Minecraft, so if it's an Xbox-only proposition, that might settle it. Thanks for the tips on the Wii. It's not powering on at all, so I'll try what you recommended.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Xbox without question. Granted I have only dabbled with the Move, but it felt like a slightly more accurate version of the Wii with better graphics. The Kinect on the other hand is a real game changer. It is incredibly simple to use, allows jumping in and jumping out for many games, and it adds a whole new dimension to dance and workout games. The addition of voice commands and controllerless operation of the system are a huge plus as well.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Both of them love to play Minecraft, so if it's an Xbox-only proposition, that might settle it. Thanks for the tips on the Wii. It's not powering on at all, so I'll try what you recommended.

If no power at all - you have a very high probability that it's just the fault tripped. Unplugging it completely lets the capacitors drain and it resets itself. I was in the same boat - thought it was dead.. and just found online that this is a VERY common problem. Power outages, etc can trip it.

AFAIK... Minecraft is a xbox exclusive on consoles. The kids love chat and network play with it

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If no power at all - you have a very high probability that it's just the fault tripped. Unplugging it completely lets the capacitors drain and it resets itself. I was in the same boat - thought it was dead.. and just found online that this is a VERY common problem. Power outages, etc can trip it.

AFAIK... Minecraft is a xbox exclusive on consoles. The kids love chat and network play with it
Had the same issue myself and unplugging fixed the issue.

Goofy6294

Had the same issue myself and unplugging fixed the issue.
Unplugged the Wii when I went home for lunch and plugged it back in when I got home that evening and it worked fine! Guess the kids will have both now. #spoiled

The wife was quite impressed. She was even more impressed when I told her that I found out how to fix it from a Disney forum! What a wealth of information we have here!;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Unplugged the Wii when I went home for lunch and plugged it back in when I got home that evening and it worked fine! Guess the kids will have both now. #spoiled

The wife was quite impressed. She was even more impressed when I told her that I found out how to fix it from a Disney forum! What a wealth of information we have here!;)
If you are going to pick up a 360, there are 2 good 360 bundles out right now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Microso...ndle/6693058.p?id=1218782894450&skuId=6693058

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Microso...ndle/6815733.p?id=1218807854947&skuId=6815733

Of course the rumors are really strong that the next generation of the 360 will be out by this time next year.

http://gizmodo.com/5964523/bloomberg-microsofts-new-xbox-will-be-available-by-christmas-2013

erasure fan1

Of course the rumors are really strong that the next generation of the 360 will be out by this time next year.
I would say its a slam dunk for the new Xbox to come out for the holidays in 2013. The biggest indicator for me is the games (or lack there of) coming out for the current gen systems, Xbox and PS3. We have a few like GTAV, Bioshock, god of war and gears of war and a few smaller things but I see these titles as being the last major blockbusters for this gen.

bsiev1977

I would say its a slam dunk for the new Xbox to come out for the holidays in 2013. The biggest indicator for me is the games (or lack there of) coming out for the current gen systems, Xbox and PS3. We have a few like GTAV, Bioshock, god of war and gears of war and a few smaller things but I see these titles as being the last major blockbusters for this gen.

Big December for me in 2013! New XBOX, and 8 days at Disney. YAY!!!

DisneyGuyNYC

Xbox is just a better system all around. I prefer it so much more.

Might need to break out the Playstation for a little Kingdom Hearts in the fall though.

StarWarsGirl

I don't own an X-Box. I'm not a heavy gamer, so I use my Wii more than anything, mainly because the location in the house is prime for not disturbing anyone. I like the PS3, so I'll go with that one, but Wii wins as far as the better system.

Plus: Original Epic Mickey. That's all I have to say.

WED99

It does for them.
If you just look at just physical hardware specs the 360 and the PS3 blow the Wii away. However, if there is not a single game you like on either system then all that hardware is worthless.
The way I read the post @StarWarsGirl95 was saying that Wii wins as the better system overall. Not just for her, for everyone. I might have been mistaken, I'll let her clarify.

StarWarsGirl

The way I read the post @StarWarsGirl95 was saying that Wii wins as the better system overall. Not just for her, for everyone. I might have been mistaken, I'll let her clarify.
Okay, I'll clarify. Wii wins because of the types of games that it has, price, and multiplayer capability. The PS3 at my house rarely gets used for anything other than watching movies (we bought it as a Blue Ray Player. At the time, PS3s and blue ray players were the same price, so it made sense), though we have a few of the Disney games. Most of the games on PS3 I'm not wild about. Wii tends to have more games that are family oriented, which is what I'm looking for. I'm not going for all the first-person shooter games. For those of you who have seen Wreck-it Ralph, I tend to be more of a Sugar Rush player than a Hero's Duty player. Plus, the Wii is in the basement. If we use the PS3, we have to take over the TV upstairs, and my dad kicks us off eventually. Wii games tend to be cheaper; the controllers were cheaper (the second one we got with Wii play. Game plus a controller). Though we don't own any previous Nintendo system games, the Wii has the advantage of playing the games from the previous systems, as well as using their controllers for certain games. The PS3 also tends to be a malfunctioning system. It overheats even though we keep it clean. It gives error messages on a regular basis. It needs frequent updates. It logs me out of my playstation account. I also like the versatility of the Wii remote and how certain games force you to move around instead of just sitting on your butt. We got the PS3 before the Wii. My dad bought it mainly because we weren't as happy with the PS3. So for my family, it's the Wii. But for others, it might be PS3, especially if you're more of a hard-core gamer. But just like not every Disney experience is right for everyone, not every gaming system is right for everyone. The PS3 does have better graphics than Wii overall (Epic Mickey and its sequel have decent graphics, though) and the picture quality for Netflix steaming is better on the PS3.

I've never had an X-box, nor do any of my friends, so I can't speak for it, though I've heard it's a very nice system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom