Would you volunteer to clean up the parks?

Since1976

Original Poster
Okay, let's assume that Roy Disney's Eisner ouster succeeds and new management takes over.

One of the first things they will have to deal with is restoring the parks to their former glory. In the last ten years, the maintenance has gone down so much that it will take an army to bring it back to where it should be -- far more people than will be required for regular daily maintainance. With all the media attention this thing has been getting, people will start talking if they don't see results immediately. Think of all the chipping paint, bubble gum covered asphalt, and cracked sidewalks they'll have to fix in the first year!

What I'm wondering is, would any of you here volunteer for some mundane task like bubble gum scraping for a day or two in exchange for, say, park passes, hotel stays, and/or a stipend?

Somehow, I don't think that Disney would ever allow such a thing -- union rules and such. Plus, such a program might be construed as an Eisner-esque cost-cutting measure by fans and the media alike. However, I'm not talking about a long term program. Just one that lasts long enough to polish up the parks. After that, regular maintenance by the full-time CMs would be put into effect.

Silly idea, or no?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It's actually a good question. Damn right I'd volunteer to clean up the parks. The definition of a good job, or one you love, is you'd do for nothing. I'd help clean up the parks for nothing. It would be a source of immense personal pride, knowing that I helped something I love so dearly.

tigsmom

Seeing as how I'm always tidying up store displays(my kids say "mom! you don't work here!") I would definately say "YES!".

I do this now anyway. I clean off tables instead of waiting for a CM to do it, I push chairs in, and yes, I refold tee shirts, etc in the shops. If I lived closer I'd have a job there. :D

A free pass would be great! (hint, hint)

sissa216

How about for a year's supply of Mickey Bars :lol:
Seriously though, I think its not a half bad idea. I'd be proud to be part of something so huge...the results would probably be wonderful.
But Disney likes to be in complete control of everything at all times...it would never happen. They'd rather force a bunch of CPs to come in and clean up overnight.
Oh wait, that would probably mean doubleback. Never mind :p

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by Since1976
........would any of you here volunteer for some mundane task like bubble gum scraping for a day or two in exchange for, say, park passes, hotel stays, and/or a stipend?
Oh yes - I'd volunteer, but not for free - A two week all expenses paid trip would do in exchange for a little bit of hard work :animwink:

O'Mailey

I would not volunteer to clean up the park. Maybe that makes me a Scrouge, but I feel that it is this public busines' responsibility
to pay employees for this task. I'm sure that there are lots of employees who could use some overtime and lots of laid off workers who could use a job back. If people started volunteering to do this work, the cast members would be out of luck.

I would volunteer to clean up my communities beach, I would volunteer to help improve a local playground. But I would not volunteer to clean up for a company that is making so much money. I will, however, continue to clean up my own messes by getting my garbage in a garbage can and not sticking gum on walls in the first place.

KevinPage

Not to mention the Union rules, liability insurance & logistics of coordinating such a task.....NO

They charge enough for admission that this is an operating expense they should incur. Does upper management need more bonuses or should they clean up their own house?

Unless this was a small family run park in danger of going under, I don't see how anyone should want a billion dollar organization to get off with free labor. That is rewarding management for the state they let things become.:brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

sissa216

Originally posted by O'Mailey

I would volunteer to clean up my communities beach, I would volunteer to help improve a local playground. But I would not volunteer to clean up for a company that is making so much money. I will, however, continue to clean up my own messes by getting my garbage in a garbage can and not sticking gum on walls in the first place.

You're right. I would not volunteer for free, but I would be willing to work to clean up the parks. Unfortunately, Disney is not likely to spend all that much money in the near future hiring hundreds of people to clean up. They're stingy enough as it is when it comes to overtime. But it would be beneficial if they offered, say, passes, credit for a hotel night, etc. It would be of less cost to them, and there are people out there who would be willing to do such a thing.
I'm not saying this is likely or really even a good idea. Personally, I would simply rather get paid. If Disney came up to me and offered a free pass if I scraped bubble gum off the pavement for a few hours, it would seem a bit shady to me.

Since1976

Original Poster
Yeah, I guess the whole volunteer aspect wouldn't work. However, I *would* accept temporary employment (2 weeks?) to clean up. The park passes and hotel stays would make a nice bonus!

johnvree

I would volunteer my time if it was necessary.

What I mean by that is that I would work for free if Disney could not afford to hire employees to do it. But as much as I love WDW, I could not work for free knowing that Company executives were sitting in their offices figuring out how to spend their bonuses. Especially when some of those executives are responsible for the deterioration of the parks.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Not a bloody chance. Disney is not a charity and I value my free time and despite being on here(again) I work hard for my meagre crust .

If I was a teen living locally that woulds be another matter but Id still expect something for it, afterall Im doing someone out of paid work.

jrriddle

Originally posted by Pumbas Nakasak
Not a bloody chance. Disney is not a charity and I value my free time and despite being on here(again) I work hard for my meagre crust .

If I was a teen living locally that woulds be another matter but Id still expect something for it, afterall Im doing someone out of paid work.

I agree, and at what they charge for a weeks stay (food, passes, hotel, entertainment, etc.)?!?
No chance.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
What I'm wondering is, would any of you here volunteer for some mundane task like bubble gum scraping for a day or two in exchange for, say, park passes, hotel stays, and/or a stipend?

If you are being reimbursed, you are not volunteering ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom