Would you purchase a "Guaranteed Week" from DVC?

Would you consider buying a guaranteed week?

• YES

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • NO

Votes: 63 84.0%

• Total voters

note2001

I can see the appeal to a fixed week, if there was one week I knew I absolutely had to have (holidays in particular) but I don't think I would have bought in initially if all Disney had to offer were guaranteed weeks. Now that I have my experience with Disney, I know when I like, and don't like to go, and I'd be more tempted.

That said... no. I don't think I would want to pay more for a guarantee. There is some excitement in the activity of booking and the "Surprise! I got it!" :) LOL. And if I get "stuck" at another resort, or have to split the stay, so be it. I can't think of any DVC so horrible that it's worse than not being at Disney.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Interesting that many DVC members are offering "flexibility" as the reason they wouldn't want a fixed week. Wouldn't the same principle apply to not buying DVC in the first place?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I can see the appeal to a fixed week, if there was one week I knew I absolutely had to have (holidays in particular) but I don't think I would have bought in initially if all Disney had to offer were guaranteed weeks. Now that I have my experience with Disney, I know when I like, and don't like to go, and I'd be more tempted.

That said... no. I don't think I would want to pay more for a guarantee. There is some excitement in the activity of booking and the "Surprise! I got it!" :) LOL.
I think the "guaranteed week" premium on points is what turns off most of us.

note2001

Interesting that many DVC members are offering "flexibility" as the reason they wouldn't want a fixed week. Wouldn't the same principle apply to not buying DVC in the first place?
It depends on your definition of flexibility. I think for most of us it simply means which dates we want to stay at a DVC property and use up our points. As opposed to not going or staying DVC at all and having to do something with those points (bank, rent.. or let spoil), which is one reason why buying DVC is not for everyone.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The reason to buy into DVC is if you only stay deluxe, plan on going at least every other year (more is better), and plan on a Disney vacation for at least the next 20-30 years. If you cannot answer yes to all of those, then DVC is NOT for you. If you are OK with staying off-site, or staying in a Value resort at times, then DVC is NOT for you. If you can't or won't plan your Disney vacations at least 7 - 11 months in advance, DVC may not be for you. If you like waking up on Friday, and saying let's spend the weekend at Disney, then DVC is not for you.

You are purchasing DVC now for the one and ONLY purpose of savings thousands of dollars in resort room costs over the next few decades. Having been members for many years now, we broke even with our initial investment years ago (meaning that we have saved more in hotel room costs than our initial buy-in cost). We now pay only yearly dues. As an example - we recently stayed in a 1 bedroom villa at the Grand Floridian for 8 nights. The cash room cost would have been $7,032 without adding in any taxes. These are NOT rooms that are ever discounted. We used 395 points for the stay, and our dues for that is $2,042. So by using our points, we essentially saved $4,990. So please tell me how this isn't a great deal.

Oh, and please do not go on and on about how we could have stayed in someone's house off-site for cheaper, and had better amenities, or could have stayed in a value resort a lot cheaper. We stay only in Disney deluxe resorts, ever. And yes, we can be considered deluxe resort snobs. Proud of it, too!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The reason to buy into DVC is if you only stay deluxe, plan on going at least every other year (more is better), and plan on a Disney vacation for at least the next 20-30 years. If you cannot answer yes to all of those, then DVC is NOT for you. If you are OK with staying off-site, or staying in a Value resort at times, then DVC is NOT for you. If you can't or won't plan your Disney vacations at least 7 - 11 months in advance, DVC may not be for you. If you like waking up on Friday, and saying let's spend the weekend at Disney, then DVC is not for you.

You are purchasing DVC now for the one and ONLY purpose of savings thousands of dollars in resort room costs over the next few decades. Having been members for many years now, we broke even with our initial investment years ago (meaning that we have saved more in hotel room costs than our initial buy-in cost). We now pay only yearly dues. As an example - we recently stayed in a 1 bedroom villa at the Grand Floridian for 8 nights. The cash room cost would have been $7,032 without adding in any taxes. These are NOT rooms that are ever discounted. We used 395 points for the stay, and our dues for that is $2,042. So by using our points, we essentially saved $4,990. So please tell me how this isn't a great deal.

Oh, and please do not go on and on about how we could have stayed in someone's house off-site for cheaper, and had better amenities, or could have stayed in a value resort a lot cheaper. We stay only in Disney deluxe resorts, ever. And yes, we can be considered deluxe resort snobs. Proud of it, too!
I agree with everything you're saying except the bolded. That's too big of an "if." I don't think ANYONE can safely "plan on a Disney vacation for at least the next 20-30 years." Life is too unpredictable. You might grow disinterested. You might get sick. A loved one might get sick. Foreclosure, unemployment, death in the family, and on and on. There's too much uncertainty.

note2001

I agree with everything you're saying except the bolded. That's too big of an "if." I don't think ANYONE can safely "plan on a Disney vacation for at least the next 20-30 years." Life is too unpredictable. You might grow disinterested. You might get sick. A loved one might get sick. Foreclosure, unemployment, death in the family, and on and on. There's too much uncertainty.

You are absolutely right. Life is an uncertainty. I am certain, however, that I will need a vacation every year, and Disney makes for a relaxing environment which is my top priority. Providing I have not gotten into a bad place with health or finances, DVC is there for me to use in FL, SC, CA and now HI. I can also (though not a good use of points) use my points on a cruise or other locations though trading out.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
While I certainly understand that someone might get sick, unemployment, etc. you take that same chance when you purchase a house with a 30 year mortgage. Heck, don't ever finance a car for 3 years because someone might get sick. C'mon. Life is a complete risk every day and always unpredictable. You can't go through life being scared that something might happen all the time.

My wife and I are both Disney lovers, and have been forever. Yes, we can absolutely say that we will still be going to Disney in 20 or 30 years (or longer if we are still physically able!), as long as there is a WDW or a DL to go to. If something happens to a loved one, well, you can always sell your interest on the resale market, or, if you still afford to go to WDW, then you will still go. If you think that you won't be interested in going to Disney that far in the future, then DVC probably isn't for you anyway.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Heck, don't ever finance a car for 3 years because someone might get sick.
Well I don't believe in debt either, so yeah I'd actually agree with that.

Except for a mortgage. The difference with a mortgage is that you have to SOMEWHERE and paying rent essentially functions as debt.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Well I don't believe in debt either, so yeah I'd actually agree with that.

Except for a mortgage. The difference with a mortgage is that you have to SOMEWHERE and paying rent essentially functions as debt.
So DVC is really not for you. DVC is a luxury purchase. It is not a necessity, and people have to make their own individual judgements as to whether it is right for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom