Would You Like To See The Cars Land Sci-fi Drive-In Be Resurrected?

Would You Like To See The Cars Land Sci-fi Drive-In Be Resurrected?

• Total voters

Californian Elitist

My problem with that is, most Californians don't care about the midcentury car culture in California anymore. You either lived it and will laugh at the attempt to try and capture what it was in a theme park, or you were born after it and don't really care. Its the same reason why most Californians don't care about a park dedicated to a state they already live in.

How do you know what most Californians care about?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That must be why we have no traffic on the freeways anymore.
Didn't say that. What I said is CA is no longer a car-centric state, meaning residents of CA don't consider their car a central part of their life anymore. Its a tool, a means of transportation only, rather than living for their cars which is what the whole car culture was about.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
AKA, you don’t actually know what Californians care about.

Was just checking.
And you think you do?

Car sales are down for the eighth year in a row. CAs are buying less cars now than in years past.

The CA Car Culture was about living for your car and taking it for a drive to "cruise". That is no longer what CAs do. Yes CAs still drive, but its no longer for pleasure, its a chore now and one that a lot of people in CA hate. CAs today use their car as a means of transportation only, a tool, and nothing more. Oh sure its still a luxury symbol, but less so of one then in the 40s-60s when the car culture was at its peak.

Californian Elitist

And you think you do?

Car sales are down for the eighth year in a row. CAs are buying less cars now than in years past.

The CA Car Culture was about living for your car and taking it for a drive to "cruise". That is no longer what CAs do. Yes CAs still drive, but its no longer for pleasure, its a chore now and one that a lot of people in CA hate. CAs today use their car as a means of transportation only, a tool, and nothing more. Oh sure its still a luxury symbol, but less so of one then in the 40s-60s when the car culture was at its peak.

Did I say I think I did? I’m pointing out the fact that you can’t possibly know what most Californians care about. My initial question wasn’t referring to cars, but in general.

According to your logic, Frontierland should be bare, since we don’t live like cowboys in old western towns anymore with horses and buggies. Yet it’s not...

What do car sales have to do with a theme park land? You do realize Car Land was an ode to that time period you mentioned at the end of your post? That was the whole point, to celebrate and acknowledge California car culture as it was in the 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s. You can pretend you know what most Californians care about and you can pretend you know we Californians just wouldn’t enjoy something like that though.

Quick question, why are you only speaking of Californians as if we’re the only ones that visit the parks?

Last edited:

Phroobar

Didn't say that. What I said is CA is no longer a car-centric state, meaning residents of CA don't consider their car a central part of their life anymore. Its a tool, a means of transportation only, rather than living for their cars which is what the whole car culture was about.
I don't know. I know plenty of people that have that car-centric mind set. It's amazing how many Teslas are in just my town alone. They are like Honda Civics in number.

TROR

And you think you do?

So either DCA recreates modern California and you hate it, or DCA recreates California's history and you hate it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Did I say I think I did? I’m pointing out the fact that you can’t possibly know what most Californians care about. My initial question wasn’t referring to cars, but in general.

According to your logic, Frontierland should be bare, since we don’t live like cowboys in old western towns anymore. Yet it’s not...

What do car sales have to do with a theme park land? You do realize Car Land was an ode to that time period you mentioned at the end of your post? That was the whole point, to celebrate and acknowledge California car culture as it was in the 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s. You can pretend you know what most Californians care about and you can pretend you know we Californians just wouldn’t enjoy something like that though.

Quick question, why are you only speaking of Californians as if we’re the only ones that visit the parks?
Frontierland is more a pass-thru land in my opinion. If it didn't have Big Thunder or the ROA access it probably wouldn't get much thought, my opinion of course. YMMV.

Do I know what 100% of all CAs will like, no. But I can read sales trends and see that the trend of CA is less cars, and that car show attendance is down, and read data that shows CAs don't drive for pleasure anymore. As such my opinion is that CAs (or the rest of the US for that matter) don't particular care about the 40s-60s CA car culture anymore, its why there hasn't been a resurgence of it in the mainstream. So a theme park land celebrating it wouldn't be something guests would flock to beyond the initial newness of it.

As for why are I'm speaking only of CAs, because local CAs are the primary guests of DLR.

lazyboy97o

I hear you, but think that over some more. What’s the story that Car Land would have been able to tell better than Carsland?

If anything, the more immersive, the more specific the details and the less contradictory the designs, more you feel that you are in a story. The more “catch-all” the theme, the less immersive, and the less transported you are into a narrative.
Car Land would have been a better vehicle for storytelling because it would not have been limited by what is established in Cars. It would have been free to tell a variety of different stories. It could grow and evolve.

Being broader in potential content only appears less immersive because you don’t already know the defining characteristics. Radiator Springs is a known and understood commodity. What would have happened if Cars was forced to follow the same logic, that it could only be immersive if it only used a small town already known to viewers?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So either DCA recreates modern California and you hate it, or DCA recreates California's history and you hate it.
I've never said I hated DCA. Do I think the CA theme of the park was smart, no. But do I hate the park overall, no. What I didn't like was its initial execution, and believe as they move away from CA like they appear to be doing it'll be a more successful park.

I get that you love the whole idea of a romanticized version of CA. That works for you, but not everyone feels the same way you do.

TROR

I've never said I hated DCA. Do I think the CA theme of the park was smart, no. But do I hate the park overall, no. What I didn't like was its initial execution, and believe as they move away from CA like they appear to be doing it'll be a more successful park.

I get that you love the whole idea of a romanticized version of CA. That works for you, but not everyone feels the same way you do.
Then what should the park's theme be? Another studio park? An unthemed "adventure" park?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sure, an adventure themed park would work. :) Not to be confused with AdventureLand which is specifically themed to 40s jungle exhibitions of course.

Basically I would have done something more broad and generic and let the lands themselves drive the theme of the park. You know sort of like the castle parks do.

Californian Elitist

Frontierland is more a pass-thru land in my opinion. If it didn't have Big Thunder or the ROA access it probably wouldn't get much thought, my opinion of course. YMMV.

Do I know what 100% of all CAs will like, no. But I can read sales trends and see that the trend of CA is less cars, and that car show attendance is down, and read data that shows CAs don't drive for pleasure anymore. As such my opinion is that CAs (or the rest of the US for that matter) don't particular care about the 40s-60s CA car culture anymore, its why there hasn't been a resurgence of it in the mainstream. So a theme park land celebrating it wouldn't be something guests would flock to beyond the initial newness of it.

As for why are I'm speaking only of CAs, because local CAs are the primary guests of DLR.

Whether you see it as a “pass-thru land” or not doesn’t matter.

You don’t know what we care about.

You don’t know what other Americans care about.

Using car sales trends to try and prove a point that Car Land wouldn’t have been popular is moot and pointless.

Plenty of the DLR’s AP audience are non-Californians.

Agree to disagree.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Whether you see it as a “pass-thru land” or not doesn’t matter.

You don’t know what we care about.

You don’t know what other Americans care about.

Using car sales trends to try and prove a point that Car Land wouldn’t have been popular is moot and pointless.

Plenty of the DLR’s AP audience are non-Californians.

Agree to disagree.

Ok, lets turn this around. Its all for fun. :)

Do you believe Car Land would be more popular than Cars Land? If so why? Why would you believe that more guests would flock to a Car Land over Cars Land?

lazyboy97o

Ok, lets turn this around. Its all for fun. :)

Do you believe Car Land would be more popular than Cars Land? If so why? Why would you believe that more guests would flock to a Car Land over Cars Land?
This is a ridiculous question. Cars and Cars Land are already known. Car Land could have been anything from poorly painted flat to an amazing, revolutionary themed experience.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is a ridiculous question. Cars and Cars Land are already known. Car Land could have been anything from poorly painted flat to an amazing, revolutionary themed experience.
No its not a ridiculous question. Posters here are advocating for Car Land over Cars Land saying it would have been better. So I want to know why they believe (if they do) more guests would flock to that land over Cars Land.

TROR

Sure, an adventure themed park would work. :) Not to be confused with AdventureLand which is specifically themed to 40s jungle exhibitions of course.

Basically I would have done something more broad and generic and let the lands themselves drive the theme of the park. You know sort of like the castle parks do.
Castle parks are themed to American culture and history, just romanticized. If you want a parallel to a castle park, then you want DCA. It can span from desert to forested frontier to beachside to big city to small town to farm and so on. California is incredibly diverse with rich history. It is by no means a limiting theme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom