Would you/do you take your kids out of school

kybred72

Original Poster
to go to WDW during a more favorable time of year?

The next time we go back to WDW, our DD will be in school and I'm not looking forward to visiting the parks during the only times school kids can...Spring Break and Summer because of the crowd and heat factor.

So is it common to pull kids out of school to vacation on an off peak season?

DisneyJoe

- what type of student are they?
- how old are they? what grade?

This is a highly debated topic on many Disney message boards.

phenom1307

i wouldn't but thats just me and how i was raised....but i guess it really depends how long they would be out....my parents took us out of school for a day and that was because it was the day before spring break started and we werent doing anything in school anyways

scole3388

We took our girls out of school, usually around MLK day, for years until they got in to high school. They went to Lutheran school, and the teachers were always very accommodating because they thought it was good family time. They would give us homework assignments to take with us and complete, much of which the girls did on the rides down and back. We never saw any large detrimental effects.

happymom52003

VERY hot topic....these threads usually end up getting ugly.
We are taking our son out for three days in January....he already has a four day weekend, so we are able to get a 7 night trip in with him only missing three days. I see no problem in the early grades taking kids out for a few days (and I am a former elem. school teacher....I had students miss school for WDW and I was fine with it). We are fortunate that the school our children attend will not give us alot of grief over it. Some schools make it harder on you if you miss. In the older grades, it does get hard for the kids to make up the material, especially in the math classes, so I can't say what I will do a few years from now (my son is in Kindergarten now). It is a personal decision....don't let anything you read here persuade you one way or the other.....do whatever YOU feel comfortable with. No one has ever failed in life because they missed school for vacation. My parents took me out for vacation every year, and I still graduated from college with honors and am a very successful, happy person.

Jessie&Buzz

I've taken my daughter out of school. She was in 1st and 3rd grade each time. The teachers were awesome about it. She's a good student and caught up on missed work quickly. I see nothing wrong with it while they are young. However once they reach jr high, I feel that it's important for them to be in school every day and don't plan on taking her out then.

stmize

We are planning on taking our kids out of school for 3 days in December because of the way their Christmas break falls. Now granted they are in 2nd and 5th grades. They probably will not miss anything anyway due to Christmas parties. They normally do not test during that time.

Eyorefan

I have always taken my DD out of school to go. Just make sure its at a time when they aren't doing anything. I usually talk to the teacher about in the first few weeks of school. My DD is in 3rd grade now, and this year when I introduced myself to her teacher at the Back to School Pool party he said, "Oh, when are ya'll going to Disney World this year? Will you promise to bring me back a mickey mouse?":lol: I guess teacher really do talk about their students.

It is all personal preferance really and what you are comfertable with as a parent.

coasterphil

I would typically missed 5-10 days a semester for trips and I was always at the top of my class. Same with my younger siblings in school now.

If the school isn't going to actually penalize my kids for being absent then I'm sure I'll be taking them out for vacations. I'm not going to worry about them falling behind, but most schools seem to be putting attendence requirements in place and are making it very difficult to make things up.

mickey&me

As a former jr. & sr. high school teacher, I must tell you that is a very individual decision. I've had students miss 2-3 days that the absences didn't really adversely affect, and I've had students miss one class that made them nearly fail the semester. There are a couple of "deciding factors":

1. What time of year would you be missing? Is it going to be during review for a final or during introduction of some important concepts? If so, you may need to reschedule the trip.

2. How far in advance are you going to tell the teacher? My advice is to get the work done before you go; vacations are more enjoyable that way.

3. What kind of student is your child? If he struggles in several subjects, missing will make it hard. The student doesn't have to get straight A's, but a solid foundation is important.

4. How does your school district view family trips? If they are really going to make a stink of it, the fight may not be worth it.

Just things to consider.

Nicole220

It depends on your child. If they can make up the work and be fine, then yes. If they struggle when the miss a class, then it might not be the best.

My parents hate taking us out of school for whatever reason, especially because my sister and brother have a hard time when the miss class. I, on the other hand, are perfectly okay when I miss a class...

IMPoppins

My son, who is in Kindergarten, will miss 5 days of school in December for our family trip. We also have reservations next September for the Bounce Back program (we went over Labor Day weekend so he didn't miss school.) As a former elem school teacher, I have NO problems with vacations during the school year.
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. You know what is right for your children and family.

kybred72

Original Poster
- what type of student are they?
- how old are they? what grade?

This is a highly debated topic on many Disney message boards.

Really!? I've never seen it discussed before. Don't want to/mean to stir up any trouble! Geesh, we won't be going back for another 4 years so, she'll be in the 3rd grade. She'll start kindergarden next fall so no idea what type of student she'll be.

We returned from our trip 2 weeks ago and I was surprised to see a lot of school age kids in the parks. So it must not be that uncommon to do... :shrug:

JDM

I took my daughter out of kindergarten for a week (5 days) to go to WDW last April.
I gave her teacher months of notice, just to make sure.
I asked her to give us the work so she could complete it while she was out and she did.

I was very surprised at the teacher's reaction: She said "anything that puts a smile on her face and has her skipping down the halls is worth it! Especially if you can turn it into a learning experience."

And when I told her WHERE we were going, she said "Perhaps she could use a tutor while on the trip! Maybe I should go with you!"

Bottom line is this: She was in Kindergarten.....what is she really going to miss? the color blue?

And when she gets older, I will do the same thing, as long as she remains a good student.

TheBeatles

YES!

Take advantage of the fact that your child doesn't have to worry about their GPA or missing College courses.

I'm in College right now and I've left school for two Disney World trips. I'm just a firm believer in the slogan "you only live once."

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Have never had a problem with pulling our children from school. Did not affect their grades, and although we had a bit of work on the plane ride down, a wee bit during, and a good amount the weekends we returned, all of them told me it was worth it. Most of the teachers emailed me that they were happy for my child for the experience, and gave them 2 months notice, asking how they would like to handle it. One year we had a break during presidents Day week and it was our only trip I felt frustrated by crowds and people bumping into us constantly in the afternoon rush. No brainer in elementary school, a bit more challenge in middle school, and high school....well don't plan to take out for more than 1-2 days if we go then....will work around public holidays and prep for the crowds mentally I suppose.:king:

Tinkrbell

My parents took me out of school for up to 5 days for various trips from 1st grade-8th grade. I didn't miss any days my freshman or sophomore years of high school for vacation. Last school year & ths school year I missed 2 days of school for WDW & a few for other things. As I was filling out college applications a few weeks ago, I found out that I have a 3.9 gpa & Im #27 out of 400 in my class.

I guess the amount of school being missed & how easy school is makes all the difference in making the decision to take kids out of school for vacation.

CAPTAIN HOOK

With the age of your child I can't see it making any difference to her future school life and education. That said, I wouldn't do it every year and certainly not when exam years are approaching

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom