Would you be opposed to seeing The Toontown Neighborhood District be replaced?

Would you be opposed to seeing The Toontown Neighborhood District be replaced?

• Total voters

TimeDuck

I'm not really a fan of the property outside of the Fall overlay, so please don't murder me when I suggest this:

I've always been surprised that Disney hasn't shuttered Toontown and re-themed it to Halloweentown from Nightmare Before Christmas.

That property is clearly evergreen for them, and it kind of seems like a lay-up thematically. At this point in DLR it might as well be a year-round thing, and having a land like that open seems like a huge draw. Toontown obviously doesn't have the lasting power or relevancy it had when it arrived, but it wouldn't be that difficult to re-model into a Halloweentown with a dark ride, kids coaster, and Jack/Sally meet and greets in the Mickey/Minnie houses. At least not as difficult as building everything from the ground up. The weird topsy-turvy architecture there already lends itself to the Burton style anyway.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm not really a fan of the property outside of the Fall overlay, so please don't murder me when I suggest this:

I've always been surprised that Disney hasn't shuttered Toontown and re-themed it to Halloweentown from Nightmare Before Christmas.

That property is clearly evergreen for them, and it kind of seems like a lay-up thematically. At this point in DLR it might as well be a year-round thing, and having a land like that open seems like a huge draw. Toontown obviously doesn't have the lasting power or relevancy it had when it arrived, but it wouldn't be that difficult to re-model into a Halloweentown with a dark ride, kids coaster, and Jack/Sally meet and greets in the Mickey/Minnie houses. At least not as difficult as building everything from the ground up. The weird topsy-turvy architecture there already lends itself to the Burton style anyway.

If they were going to do that I'd rather them use the Halloween town from the DCOM, Halloweentown.

TimeDuck

If they were going to do that I'd rather them use the Halloween town from the DCOM, Halloweentown.

Yeah, there's kind of an endless supply of cheap-themed entertainment you could incoporate into the concept. Even if they did a NBC Halloweentown, they could do a year where the DCOM Halloweentown "takes over" or "visits" or do the same with the witches from Hocus Pocus. That area is already the kick-off for Mickey's Halloween Party so you could have a short show there to "open up the party".

It has always just seemed like such a lay-up, but I've never seen that idea floated by anyone.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yeah, there's kind of an endless supply of cheap-themed entertainment you could incoporate into the concept. Even if they did a NBC Halloweentown, they could do a year where the DCOM Halloweentown "takes over" or "visits" or do the same with the witches from Hocus Pocus. That area is already the kick-off for Mickey's Halloween Party so you could have a short show there to "open up the party".

It has always just seemed like such a lay-up, but I've never seen that idea floated by anyone.

I've seen Halloweentown floated around the boards for years. So I'm sure its been kicked around the walls of WDI at some point.

mickEblu

I floated the idea of a NBC Halloweentown overlay of Toontown on this site a few years ago. Even If only to get HMH out of the Mansion. But between MMRR coming, my new found appreciation for Toontown and my lack of trust with the current regime I would not like to see that happen anymore.

bluerhythym

I say keep it based around the Fab Five, but theme it more towards the rustic charm of the early Disney shorts rather than Roger Rabbit's Toontown. Toontown only works inside Car Toon Spin - it's the only place that captures the lively atmosphere that's lacking in Toontown proper.

If it's rethemed, I'm not sure what that means for Car Toon Spin. I think it's a great dark ride, but maybe it's gotta go. I'd love for Roger Rabbit to be moved to Hollywoodland in some capacity but who knows what's going on over there. An Indy style Roger Rabbit based in a realistic 1940s Hollywoodland would be amazing.

mharrington

As promised, here are some of my ideas for overhauling Toontown's attractions. One of them, anyway:

The first ride assumes the collective space of Chip 'n' Dale's Treehouse, Gadget's Go Coaster and Donald's Boat, to create a brand-new kiddie coaster (or at least keep the old Go Coaster track and retheme it).

In the past, most coasters have had a Goofy theme (i.e., the Great Goofini's Barnstormer, Goofy's Sky School), but not this time. No, this time, the theme is now on Donald Duck! The ride will be set in a brand-new house of Donald's, which will take over the property once occupied by Gadget's Go Coaster and Chip 'n' Dale's Treehouse. The new house, where the queue is, will be a mashup of a boat and a house, and look something like this (the concept is based on the abandoned concept of Mickeyville, but done in the Donald color scheme of blue, white and yellow):
Donald%27sDock90.jpg

The concept will revolve around Donald opening up some kind of an airboat school/service thing. It will fly over a new lake. The ride will be called Donald's Air Academy (as a response to Goofy's Sky School at the California Adventure). The queue will be in Donald's new boat-house/house-boat/house and boat, as stated earlier. You wind your way through Donald's boat. It will feature several interactive elements. One is a rope based on the one you can pull in the queue of the Indiana Jones ride (a sign nearby tells you not to do it). You pull on that and a British-sounding man yells at you for doing so. You can pull on this rope in this queue and hear Donald yelling at you for doing so. There is also a radio in the corner, too, set to KRAZY Radio (replacing WACKY Radio). Also in the queue is this big map on the wall, looking like this one in WDW's now-extinct Toontown Fair (in fact, assuming it hasn't been scrapped completely, maybe Disneyland can claim ownership of the real deal here now that Toontown Fair is gone (just revise the direction "To Toontown Fair" to "To Mickey's Toontown"):
Donald_Ducks_Boat_in_the_Magic_Kingdom.jpg

Another interactive element in the queue is another rope, supposedly attached to the boat's steam whistle. But when you pull on it, not only does the whistle on the boat emit a boat whistle-like sound, but instead of steam, the whistle sprays out a blast of water onto passersby outside the boat and just walking around. It could provide a nice refreshing treat on a hot day. When the weather gets colder out, it can be reduced or even turned off altogether.

Anyway, onto the roller coaster itself: The roller coaster train looks like a cross between an airboat and the Spruce Goose. It will look like a boat, but have its wings on the bow, a propeller on the front and a tail with an airboat propeller on the back. Along the bottom of the boat-plane would be a huge rubber raft-like thing (at least that's how it's supposed to look), making it also something like a hovercraft. It could be something like how in "Plane Crazy", Mickey made up his plane from a car. As if named after the Spruce Goose, the plane in the new ride will be called the Drake (meaning "Von Drake", suggesting that Ludwig Von Drake made this for Donald) D-34 Swooper, or commonly called the Deciduous Duck (since the Spruce Goose was largely made of wood). Thus, the makeshift flying boat/seaplane/airboat craft would be called the Deciduous Duck. Also, the craft will be painted in the Donald color scheme: blue, yellow and white. Just as you head out the back door of Donald's home, you pass by plans for the new plane, created by Von Drake

Okay, now that we got the description of the roller coaster train out of the way, let's move on. The roller coaster will fly up and over the new Toon lake, dodging characters try to take aim at you with water, such as spitting frogs perched on the rocks (they're actually the same ones previously used in Gadget's Go Coaster) or Donald's nephews, Huey, Dewey and Louie, all scattered about the lake and firing water cannons at you. There's also Goofy in a boat, trying to fish. He's caught a bite, but the fish in question is dragging his line along and spinning his boat around. This boat accidentally kicks up water in your path. The idea is that Donald, as part of his service, is having you take out his new Deciduous Duck aircraft for a test flight, but it seems that there are more than a few bugs to work out (hence the roller coaster part).

Similar to the Great Goofini coaster at WDW, Donald's Air Academy may or may not have Fastpass. Like its predecessor, Gadget's Go Coaster, it will also be sponsored by Sparkle paper towels. It will also have a Single Rider option.

Anyway, that's Donald's Air Academy, the first of two new rides for Mickey's Toontown at Disneyland, should the Runaway Railway concept not go forward here. The second is coming up...

Actually, now that I think about it, I had to revise my vote, since it means overhauling that area of Toontown into something else that is still in the style of the land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom