Would this be an answer for UNI's Harry Potter Land?

R W B

Original Poster
Just throwing this out there as an idea I came up with that I have not seen posted. Just want to be clear I have ZERO knowledge this would EVER happen, personally I don't think so.

Since Avatarland is up in the air and nobody really knows the outcome of that it got me thinking what might come close to a Potter size "splash" in the industry. Well, we all know a Star Wars land and an Indiana Jones Land is not happening and those are the 2 main ones that I see talked about all the time. Personally I wouldnt get hyped over either one of those considering the age of them. So, whats one of the biggest Disney series right now that caters to all ages?....Pirates of the Caribbean. Its a very strong franchise with a huge following thats grown to be pretty die-hard. I think building a land would be awesome and would be a huge success and it would actually be Disney unlike Avatar, Star Wars or Indy. I think WDI could come up with great ideas to theme it and i'm not sure exactly what but I'm sure they could find a way to make a E-ticket attraction too. With that said, with the current PoTC ride they have now and since its a classic I don't ever see this happening though but I think it could be a huge hit.

Am I the only one that thinks this?

fosse76

As far as being an immersive experience with exceptional details, maybe. As far as getting people through the gates, not a chance.

dave&di

I enjoyed the first 2 movies and a big Johnny Depp fan but a PoTC land would not attract me I'm afraid. It's a bit too 'old hat' now IMO.

Britt

They just need to bring WWoHP to WDW! I would be in my own version of "heaven"!!!!! HAHAHA

Or at least Butterbeer? Please? No? Booo.

CP_alum08

See the problem is Disney has nothing even close to Harry Potter in terms of popularity so I don't think there is any "competing" right now. I think new fantasyland will be good, but I've seen HP world and its GREAT not good.

Britt

See the problem is Disney has nothing even close to Harry Potter in terms of popularity so I don't think there is any "competing" right now. I think new fantasyland will be good, but I've seen HP world and its GREAT not good.
No, but the expansion should make it AAAAAHHHHHHHHH-MAZING ;)

I will admit, it was smaller then I was expecting and as LAME as this is, but I was bummed about the food. I wish it wasn't so "authentic" to this fake world. lol We ate at the HogsHead and I hated my chicken and potatoes....lol

AndyS2992

Nah I don't think that would work at all, we already have the ride and pirate show. Not really much more to it than what already exists. I would like them to demolish the current POTC and build an enhanced version of the California or Paris version there though. One drop is not enough :p

afar28

That would be really cool, but where would it fit? It would be strange having PotC in Adventureland then build a PotC land in say, DHS.

luv

I grow more weary of pirate stuff each year. I don't want more pirate stuff. There is plenty now.

Disney has to, at some point, stop copying Uni and forever playing catch-up to Uni. They need to do their own thing.

When they make what they have clean, friendly, unique, creative and amazing, I will start to think that building more stuff is a good idea.

Spending tons of money to build more mediocre things is not the way to go. IMO, of course.

luv

nope. Bring me a Nightmare before Christmas world-or a total tim Burton world. Nightmare, corpse bride, Franken weenie
ITA. It has a big following.

I don't like Tim Burton movies. They just seem weird to me. But I do think the characters would be great in an attraction. They are practically perfect for AA. I'd love to see that.

Stick that into SWSA instead of a M&G.

cba

The problem is that Disney would have to buy Harry Potter from Warner Bros. and possibly Universal because of WWoHP. But I'd love it if they did!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There is not a current movie franchise with the appeal of Potter (even Star Wars). Disney could just build something original that is NOT based on a movie. There is no rule that says rides or whole lands need to be based on movies. Classics like POtC and HM were not based on movies and more recent rides like ToT and Everest have no real movie tie in. Avatar was clearly a reaction to Potter. Now that it seems dead WDI is free to be creative and come up with something completely new.

bubbles1812

The only thing I could really see going up against Potter and winning in terms of franchises that already exist is Lord of the Rings. People would flock to that. But the Tolkien Estate wouldn't sell the rights to LOTR for anything less than an astronomical sum that Disney would never pay. WDI could make something unique but it would have to be extremely high concept to get people to show up when there isn't any brand recognition. I think the concept of a Pirate land is interesting and could be fun but it wouldn't be the answer to Potter. Quite simply, Disney blew it by letting Potter go.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The only thing I could really see going up against Potter and winning in terms of franchises that already exist is Lord of the Rings. People would flock to that. But the Tolkien Estate wouldn't sell the rights to LOTR for anything less than an astronomical sum that Disney would never pay. WDI could make something unique but it would have to be extremely high concept to get people to show up when there isn't any brand recognition. I think the concept of a Pirate land is interesting and could be fun but it wouldn't be the answer to Potter. Quite simply, Disney blew it by letting Potter go.

Lord of the Rings would be amazing, but it would have to be done right which means big bucks. The scenery and sets for the movies were so elaborate that any ride or land would have a huge bar to live up to. This is why in my opinion potter is so well done. They managed to really capture the look and feel of the movies. I do think Disney has it in them still to make something like this, but I think it would probably be even more challenging than Avatar in some ways. Disney does have experience in building castles and mountains:)

bubbles1812

Lord of the Rings would be amazing, but it would have to be done right which means big bucks. The scenery and sets for the movies were so elaborate that any ride or land would have a huge bar to live up to. This is why in my opinion potter is so well done. They managed to really capture the look and feel of the movies. I do think Disney has it in them still to make something like this, but I think it would probably be even more challenging than Avatar in some ways. Disney does have experience in building castles and mountains:)

Very much agreed on everything you said. I think LOTR would be amazing, if that is, whatever studio got the rights would pay the money, the "big bucks" as you so aptly put it. Anything less and I think there would be some serious serious backlash... and that would definitely make the news. I definitely think WDI has it in them to create the land. The problem is I just don't think management would be willing to pay the money. It would be a really risky investment if they were only willing to pay NFE numbers because while NFE is nice, that would not be enough to satisfy even more casual fans of the series precisely because of the points you said about the movies being so elaborate and even the books being so descriptive. It would be a no brainer investment if they decided yes we are going to go all out though. As much as I hate to say it, I think at least right now at this point in time, LOTR would have a much better chance with Uni in terms of which company would be willing to spend that money. This is all theoretical of course. Sigh... I wish LOTR were coming to a park for real!

Magenta Panther

Just throwing this out there as an idea I came up with that I have not seen posted. Just want to be clear I have ZERO knowledge this would EVER happen, personally I don't think so.

Since Avatarland is up in the air and nobody really knows the outcome of that it got me thinking what might come close to a Potter size "splash" in the industry. Well, we all know a Star Wars land and an Indiana Jones Land is not happening and those are the 2 main ones that I see talked about all the time. Personally I wouldnt get hyped over either one of those considering the age of them. So, whats one of the biggest Disney series right now that caters to all ages?....Pirates of the Caribbean. Its a very strong franchise with a huge following thats grown to be pretty die-hard. I think building a land would be awesome and would be a huge success and it would actually be Disney unlike Avatar, Star Wars or Indy. I think WDI could come up with great ideas to theme it and i'm not sure exactly what but I'm sure they could find a way to make a E-ticket attraction too. With that said, with the current PoTC ride they have now and since its a classic I don't ever see this happening though but I think it could be a huge hit.

Am I the only one that thinks this?

Nope. I've advocated for quite some time that the Pirates franchise should have a stronger presence in the parks, especially in Adventureland. The reason I think it's a no-brainer is not just the success of PotC movies, but pirates in general. They are a timeless, immortal part of human history, literature and art, and are derived from reality, unlike the Hobbits and such. Their stories have all the prerequisites for pleasing audiences of all ages: adventure, romance, comedy, tragedy, magic and treasure. They will NEVER go out of style. And Disney has one of the best Pirate legends ever created, and produced from it a huge film franchise. Why shouldn't it expand on it? Beats paying big bucks for off-studio flash-in-the-pan stuff like Avatar. I'd love to see Adventureland get a pirate-themed restaurant that looks like an inverted pirate ship, with lanterns and talking parrots and live shows and tavern wenches and so on. It could knock the socks of the Three Broomsticks in Universal, easy. Why doesn't Disney even consider an idea like that? Why is it wanting to put junk like Cameron's kitties and Spiderman in the parks instead?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom