Would have done it differently

Hi guys. Just back from a 2 week stay. I'm not going to give a blow-by-blow account of our trip, but I would like to tell you about some of the problems we encountered.
I have always been in favor of staying off-property if it means a longer stay. I still believe this can work, but you have to shop carefully for accommodations and shuttle service. We got a great deal on a hotel that advertised 15 minutes from Disney and free shuttle service to the parks. Technically true, but the shuttle stops at several other hotels and the trip can take anywhere from one hour to two hours. Our personal experience with this was a nightmare.
Which leads to this warning: Do not stay at any motel or hotel on W. Irlo Bronson in Kissimmee that uses the Caribbean Island Shuttle service or the Florida Sunrise Shuttle service! (They changed their name mid-trip!) The buses on this line are so decrepit, we actually had to call the Orange County Sheriff once we got to the TTC one morning to report that our bus shook so badly on the trip over that all of us on board feared for our safety. The bus was taken out of service. The Sheriff told us that this shuttle service is the worst out there, but we already knew that. On several occasions the bus was anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour late. Once, when my dh called from his cell phone to find out what the problem was, the manager just said there was a problem, the bus would get there eventually and was not at all apologetic. When dh called back 10 minutes later after the bus had still not arrived, the manager would not even answer the phone! Repeated calls and the phone just rang and rang.
Unbelievably, if you got the 6:00Pm shuttle from the TTC it made an unexplainable stop at AK. None of the hotels on the shuttle route had a scheduled pick-up at Ak, no one was ever waiting at AK for this shuttle since AK closes at 5:00PM, in fact, no one was anywhere to be seen in the parking lot! Still, 6:00 pm shuttle stopped there every time!
On another occasion, on the way back from the parks one night, the bus was so jammed that people were sitting on the front steps and had to get off and on to allow people to exit! To make matters worse, the driver was notified that he had left a stroller in the parking lane at Epcot and we had to return to get it, making for a 2 hour plus trip back to the hotel that night. This shuttle service is unbelievably unreliable and even dangerous. Avoid it at all costs!

Now the hotel. We stayed at the Sleep Inn on W. Irlo Bronson. (It also changed its named mid-trip to the Ambiance!) Our first room was very small, with only 3 drawers to store clothing. On the morning of the hurricane, rain came through the front wall and soaked the carpeting, our luggage and the clothing that we had to stack on shelves due to lack of drawer space. We were told later that day that we would have to change rooms. Now we know that hurricanes are an unavoidable occurance, but management was unbelievably unhelpful. We were told to change rooms, were offered no help whatsoever while doing so, and haggled for a little retribution. We finally got them to agree to lift the $10.00 fee for storing our luggage on the day of check-out since we weren't leaving till the evening. We asked for this after telling them we had to wash clothing as a result of the water seepage. They agreed after much rudeness such as "Just how much clothing do you have?" When I replied that it wasn't the amount of clothing so much as the amount of time it took to dry it, I was told that maybe it wouldn't take so long to dry if I didn't overload the machine. To which I replied that when only one dryer is working, one has to put more clothing in than normal to save on cost and to allow others to use the one machine. Unbelievable aggravation for $10.00!!!
We spoke to a young couple from Canada who were on their honeymoon and also had to change rooms due to unclean conditions unrelated to the storm. They told us that management was very unaccommodating and didn't care at all that this was their honyemoon.
One morning while waiting for the shuttle, which was, of course, late, we witnessed a scene in the lobby when the Sheriff came to take a report of a theft from one of the rooms. Once again, management was very uncaring.
DH was accused of making his own scene in the lobby while waiting for the once again 40-minutre late shuttle. He complained to management about the terrible service. They told him that there were "circumstances" and that we could check out if we didn't like it! What happened to hospitality?! We can hardly believe the coldness of the management of this hotel.

The horrible transportation cut into our trip so much, that we seriously feel that we will budget future trips to stay on property, even if it means a shorter stay. Learn from our mistakes and, if you are staying off-site, rent a car or make sure your hotel has its own shuttle.

Now, after all this being said, I would just like to add that all things Disney related on this trip were just as we expected . . .wonderful! I would still call this a good trip because the ten days we spent in the parks were as magical as we hoped them to be. MNSSHP was great and I have a new favorite ride...Soarin'! It is just the coolest! We rode it as often as possible. We met some wonderful people, ate some great food and celebrated our 32nd Anniversary in true Disney style. It was a great trip that could have been even better.

One last thing. Our trip got off to a bad start from a usually reliable source...Mears. Our shuttle from the airport left 20 minutes after our plane landed and got us to our hotel . . . 3 unbelievable hours later! Our driver not only didn't know where he was taking the four parties on our shuttle, he kept asking us if we knew how to get to our hotels! After many stops for directions, and much aggravation, our hotel was finally his last drop-off. After 2 days and several phone calls from dh Mears gave us retribution in a nice ride back to the airport in a Lincoln Towncar. At least they acknowledged their mistakes and righted their wrong.

Well that's it. We learned a lot and, hopefully, we helped other people on this forum to plan better than we did.

Nemo14

Welcome back!
Sorry to hear you had such aggravation for your trip. That can really put a damper on things. I tend to fall apart at such things and get rather nasty, while my DH tends to be much more patient than me. I think 2 weeks of that would have done us both in!
Glad you had a great time at WDW, and Happy Anniversary!
:wave:

DisneyBunny

SO sorry to hear of your problems! We stayed off site for the last time n 2002 because of problems like yours. Bad bus service, namely. I can take a lot, but that convinced us to never stay off site ever again. My time is more valuable than the money I could save. But I'm glad to hear you all still had a great anniversary!:wave:

Uponastar

Original Poster
Thanks Nemo, Disney Bunny and Connor for your replies and wishes!
It's good to be back!
Connor, cookies after homework!

Connor002

scared0011.gif
scared0018.gif

Uponastar

Original Poster
Nemo14 said:
Did you go anywhere besides WDW while you were down there?

No just WDW. And seriously the transportation time cut into the days so badly we didn't do alot of the things we normally do. Like hotel hopping. And only a brief visit to Downtown Disney. Not even time for Ghiradelli's! :eek:

Nemo14

Uponastar said:
No just WDW. And seriously the transportation time cut into the days so badly we didn't do alot of the things we normally do. Like hotel hopping. And only a brief visit to Downtown Disney. Not even time for Ghiradelli's! :eek:
No Ghiradelli's - that's unAmerican! When my DD and I flew down in July to go to my niece's shower, we had to stop at DTD just to go to Ghiradelli's. Yes, I've raised a chocoholic (I have no idea *swallows last bite of Hershey bar* where she gets that from!)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Uponastar said:
Do not stay at any motel or hotel on W. Irlo Bronson in Kissimmee that uses the Caribbean Island Shuttle service or the Florida Sunrise Shuttle service!

Don't stay at any hotel anywhere in Orlando that uses them... they're on International Drive as well.

I've had to deal with them many times, and they're beyond the worst transportation company in Central Florida. They've filled their busses to the point that people have refused to board for fear of their safety... they won't pay for any damage their busses may cause others and their insurance company won't help you either.

The reasons the hotels use them is because they undercut every competitor in the area by a considerable amount and they can make promises for more pickups than they can actually deliver. They will actually stagger their pickup times with other hotels with whom they have "exclusive contracts" so they can use 1 bus for 2 or more pickups.

If you'd like to give them a piece of mind call Jennifer, their General Manager at 407-509-0583.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I'm also going to forward a copy of this thread to Anup Shah, the GM of the Ambiance. I've already called him at 407-239-0225 and have had no luck getting his voicemail. He's apparently also the owner and president of A.B. Hotels, the Missouri Company he established to own and run his Sleep Inn... err, Ambiance Hotel Maingate.

What else... maybe the staff genuinely doesn't care, cause after some fun cybersnooping of my own, it appears that the hotel will be getting converted into Condotel Units. Perhaps they don't care since they feel their jobs will be ending soon.

nibblesandbits

wow...I'm sorry you had so much trouble with the non-Disney aspects of your trip and will definitely take your advice should I ever not stay on property. I'm glad that the Disney part of your trip was wonderful though!

Edit: Whoo hoo! Senior Member status!!! I've waited two years for that!

nibblesandbits

Connor002 said:
Two years?:hammer:
What have you been doing all that time?:lol:
Eh, there was a brief time where I didn't visit these boards right after I joined. I really started visiting them religously right after the trip I took in May 2004 because I was homesick for Disney World.

Steve-B

Wow -- sounds like that motel recruited their staff from my home town. We stayed off-site last time. While our experience was considerably better than yours, it wasn't good enough to repeat. We'll be staying on-site for any future trips.

Wow!! Sounds like the holiday from heck! (wording changed for our younger viewers) I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I stay off property but always have a rental car, we tried the bus once on the first day of our first trip, never again.

Saying that, apart from avoiding the bus service like the plague we've had no problems with with our hotel (which we got to every time for that reason).

I'd definately get out the old word processor and fire off a few complaining letters...

tink rules

Maybe it's me... unless budget was a serious concern (but I think WDW does a decent job with the value resorts...) Why in the world would anyone want to stay off property???? Ok, so maybe you want to go and do other things, I get that too or you need a larger place or such. I just get so darned spoiled by Disney that I just want to go through those gates off the Greenway and not come out for a week or two and see if I can see everything (Yes, I've tried and no, I haven't....)

Report them to the Better Business Bureau and any local Chamber of Commerces. & complain to Disney that you have bad service and unsafe buses. I'm sure they don't want accidents on property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom