Worst Opening Day Attraction Still Open Today

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
So we always praise the original Magic Kingdom attractions that opened in 1971... Literally all of them! However, what is your LEAST favorite opening day attraction, and why?

I'd like to mention: even though many of these have been modified, the original intentions of these attractions still remain. But you may even consider their updates their downfalls.

A list:

Dumbo the Flying Elephant
It's a Small World
Enchanted Tiki Room
Hall of Presidents
Country Bear Jamboree
Jungle Cruise
Mad Tea Party
Main Street Vehicles
WDW Railroad
Tomorrowland Speedway
Prince Charming Regal Carousel
Riverboat (I'm including this)
Peter Pan's Flight (I'm including this)
The Haunted Mansion

Please respect other opinions.

My opinion-- I want to say Speedway, but I feel like that's going to be too popular of an answer, and I like to be different. Lol. So my vote is for Mad Tea Party... On top of me not being a big fan of flat rides, I also don't like the physical aspect of it as a mild germophobe, an uninteresting and cramped queue, it's odd placement in the park, and the terrible sound the brakes make.

Last edited:

DisneyFanatic12

I think Tomorrowland Speedway is an extremely unimpressive ride at the park, BUT the way that it represented the future (the idea that one day everyone would drive a car) is pretty neat. Because of the meaning behind the Tomorrowland Speedway, I can’t put it at the worst ride.

Three worst:
3. Tiki Room! I like the show, but I like this attraction the least out of any opening day attraction.

2. Tomorrowland Speedway. Not an impressive ride system at all, super slow cars for it being a “race track”, and it’s fairly short. Autopia at Disneyland fulfills the message that everyone will someday be able to drive a car better, but one can still see the inspiration behind the Tomorrowland Speedway. The meaning behind the ride is cool, but it is not a very good ride.

1. Mad Tea Party. The covering over the ride, though necessary due to the rain, is UGLY. Probably has one of the ugliest roofs of any ride at MK now. The ride itself is fine, but the unnecessarily load squeal of the breaks bumps it down too.

Here’s my ranking of ALL of them (without an explanation because that would take too long :)).

Best to worst:

Jungle Cruise
Hall of Presidents
Peter Pan’s Flight
Walt Disney World Railroad
Main Street Vehicles
It’s a Small World
Country Bear Jamboree
Liberty Square Riverboat
Enchanted Tiki Room
Tomorrowland Speedway
Mad Tea Party

flynnibus

Premium Member
speedway is not a disney level version of that kind of attraction vs it's peers. So long overdue to be replaced or brought up to standards

I'd put Country Bears as #2 - not because it was so bad when opened, but yet another attraction that hasn't aged well

DisneyFanatic12

speedway is not a disney level version of that kind of attraction vs it's peers. So long overdue to be replaced or brought up to standards

I'd put Country Bears as #2 - not because it was so bad when opened, but yet another attraction that hasn't aged well
I like Country Bear Jamboree more because it hasn’t aged well. It is a comedic show, and it might actually be better now in that sense. For me, it’s a glimpse into the past and one of the funniest shows on Disney property.

DisneyFanatic12

country bear, its time has past keep everything else....

wasnt tom sawyer part of opening day. As sad as it is, i would say that entire area could be used better (If possible with ADA)
Why are you coming after my singing bears?🤣

It might be a little dated, but it’s still a great show to me. The songs are suggestive, but that’s a hard topic comparing the songs to todays music. Todays music doesn’t hide it very much, but it might not be as “interesting” as the songs in CBJ are. Honestly, I can understand that it doesn’t seem ok to have today, but then again, it’s cleaner than a lot of what is on the radio and what not. There’s a fine line, but I don’t think that the show has crossed it. As for it being dated, it definitely is an older show, but it carries its age well IMO!

WaltWiz1901

No contest, the Tomorrowland Speedway. Awkwardly placed, doesn't fit at all with the mythos set in place by New Tomorrowland '94 AFAIK, and the less said about the antiquated gas-guzzling cars, the better. Part of me thinks the Speedway should've been taken out during the New Fantasyland expansion instead of Snow White's Adventures...

ppete1975

Why are you coming after my singing bears?🤣

It might be a little dated, but it’s still a great show to me. The songs are suggestive, but that’s a hard topic comparing the songs to todays music. Todays music doesn’t hide it very much, but it might not be as “interesting” as the songs in CBJ are. Honestly, I can understand that it doesn’t seem ok to have today, but then again, it’s cleaner than a lot of what is on the radio and what not. There’s a fine line, but I don’t think that the show has crossed it. As for it being dated, it definitely is an older show, but it carries its age well IMO!
its more of an attention span thing for the younger generation. I just dont know if that type of show is what will last going forward. Same could be said for the presidents, I dont think it will ever leave due to its historical importance, but is it a crowd eater at this point? Does anyone run into the parks screaming lets go see the presidents!!

ppete1975

No contest, the Tomorrowland Speedway. Awkwardly placed, doesn't fit at all with the mythos set in place by New Tomorrowland '94 AFAIK, and the less said about the antiquated gas-guzzling cars, the better. Part of me thinks the Speedway should've been taken out during the New Fantasyland expansion instead of Snow White's Adventures...
While they should be changed to electric (and they already have the cars) and maybe even retheme it, for kids the speedway is one of the most revered rides. Its one of the rides for smaller kids where thats the one ride they are clamoring to do, and always have a smile on their face after. While boring and antiquated for adults, the sheer joy that kids have for this ride is almost unmatched at the MK. There is something timeless about kids getting to drive a car that never gets old and every generation wants to do.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
If including the riverboat and main street vehicles then the list should be expanded.

Country Bear Jamboree
Frontierland Shootin' Arcade
The Hall of Presidents
The Haunted Mansion
"it's a small world"
Jungle Cruise
Mad Tea Party
Main Street Vehicles
Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
Swiss Family Treehouse

Tomorrowland Speedway
Walt Disney World Railroad
Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room

Italicized attractions were not on original list.

Before even getting to Speedway, Tikiroom, and Country Bears, I think Swiss Family Treehouse and the Frontierland Shooting Arcarde are the two worst. While climbing up the Treehouse in summer is a pain, it at least has some charm. My vote is Frontierland Shootin' Arcade.

The public also seems to agree it's Speedway because there's never an issue finding a spot to step up, but there are at least lines at Speedway.

Last edited:

Musical Mermaid

How is Hall of Presidents in the bottom three?!?! For me, if you take away HoP, Liberty Square isn’t a land at all. It’s a pretty impressive attraction to me!

Easy. It's in my bottom 3, because out of all my many visits to Magic Kingdom over the years, I can count exactly 4 times I've been in there and not of my own will. I don't watch long shows at the parks a lot either, because I've seen them already and time is so short to do whatever else I may want to do during a day there. I'd rather reride rides than rewatch long shows. These shows are also online if I desire to watch them. If others want to sit in that theater, I respect that, but it's not for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom