Worried about Food & Wine Festival

Yellow Shoes

I am off to WDW with my 10 year old son Sept 29 to Oct 4. I am trying not to plan every waking moment, but I do want to have an idea of which park on what day.

I thought I had it well in hand, until I realized the Food & Wine Fest starts while we're there. I was thinking about Epcot on Friday the 1st. I am guessing that the F&W is popular with the locals and it will get really crowded in the WS.

Since I will be there with a child, the wine stuff (and unusual food) is of no interest to me.

So the Q is--should I expect the non F&W stuff to be a nightmare also? Will there be a 40 minute wait for Maelstrom, will the France movie be standing room only, etc? Or will it just be a matter of crowded sidewalks between the food booths?

I'm guessing that Friday may be less crowded than Sat or Sun.

I had planned MK for Thursday with EMH (we are early birds--at least at WDW). Thu & Sat are the only nights MK is open until 8. I had not planned on MNSSHP.

Or should we just hope for the threat of rain that might keep folks home?

lebernadin

As much as i'd like to be at Disney during it, its only panned out twice. But in those two instances, the crowds were not anywhere near that of the typically peak times of the year.

I agree that it probably draws a good number of local florida annual pass holders and is most likely heavily marketed to Floridians.

The reasoning for it taking place in the fall at this time is because prior to it, the parks were relative ghost towns to the Christmas/Thanksgiving/Easter/Summer crowds.

Friday sounds like a good idea to avoid locals. But don't expect attractions to have summer waits in most cases.

If the ethnic fare isn't to your liking, then you can imagine the regular food courts/stands won't have as long a line for you guys.

Upvote 0

vilegirl

I was at WDW last year during the food and wine festival. The lines for rides weren't bad at all. And during the day I wouldn't say I noticed a dramatic increase in crowds. I found the evenings to be pretty crowded though. Again, not really the ride lines, but just walking around World Showcase. Hopefully the same will hold true this year and it won't give you any problems. :)

-Linda

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Same here, I really didn't notice an increase in crowds over other Oct trips that didn't cross into the F & W days.

That being said, I've never been there on the very first day either, so It "could" be different. But Oct is generally low crowds so I wouldn't worry to much.

Upvote 0

MKingdom25

This will be my first year going to the F&W Festival. Is it a huge thing in World Showcase? It sounds like a really big deal with lots of stuff to eat, but I was just wondering from someone who's been how it is. Thanks!

Upvote 0

aimster

Since they have also extended the Food & Wine Festival this year by a few more weeks, I'm sure the crowds will be even more spaced out. I should be there Occt 11th or 12th to see The Beach Boys though!

Upvote 0

wolf29

We were in WDW for the Festival last year & will be there again this year. Crowds during the day were fairly light, while evenings tended to be more crowded. If you are just going to Epcot during the day, you should be fine. Food booths do have some tasty treats, pretty affordable too. You should have fun.

Upvote 0

jodilt

Good question. I will be at WDW at the same time (Sept. 29-Oct. 5) and had not thought about the crowds being that much bigger. I am glad to hear that they shouldn't be too bad!

Upvote 0

KUNZEWORLD

I have been there twice during the festival and we never waited in lines during the week...the only thing you will want to be aware of is the intoxicated people like myself wandering around in the evening hours. LOL
October has been very good to us so far with bad lines only one time on a saturday of our last trip. During the week it was great.

Upvote 0

MKingdom25

KUNZEWORLD said:
I have been there twice during the festival and we never waited in lines during the week...the only thing you will want to be aware of is the intoxicated people like myself wandering around in the evening hours. LOL
October has been very good to us so far with bad lines only one time on a saturday of our last trip. During the week it was great.
Don't worry; we can crowd all you intoxicated folks onto a special Disney bus and haul you back to the hotel! :lol:

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

DisneyJoey said:
There is a negligible increase in attendance during the F&W Festival - do not concern yourself with it.

Ditto. You will totally enjoy it and will not notice any too large crowds at Epcot. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

lamarvenoy

I would avoid the weekend days especially the 1st and last weekend of the festival. I would also arrive early, some of the better dishes sell out before 7 PM. The F & W festival is Epcot at its best, enjoy.

Upvote 0

shari71

We have been four times (three in Oct and once in Nov). Last year was probably the most crowded but mostly on Fri/Sat in the late evening. Try hitting it in early afternoon around 4 and you should be fine. Most of the people are usually eating and drinking so the ride don't have much of a line. We walked onto Maelstorm several times one night during it.

Upvote 0

lebernadin

Since this thread has been revived, something else to consider is that, with these 3 hurricanes affecting vacations directly/indirectly this early fall, the crowd levels may be higher than normal during this year's fest with those families who were able to push back their trips etc.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Don't think so...

lebernadin said:
Since this thread has been revived, something else to consider is that, with these 3 hurricanes affecting vacations directly/indirectly this early fall, the crowd levels may be higher than normal during this year's fest with those families who were able to push back their trips etc.

...or lower due to residents trying to rebuild houses, get power and water services back, other little things... :(

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom