Worlds Fair?

brisem

Here's a quick history of the World Fairs:

Dear Yahoo!:
How many World's Fairs have there been?
Bob
Melbourne, Florida

Dear Bob:
After browsing through the sites in the Yahoo! World's Fairs and Expositions category, we learned that there is more than one answer to your question -- it all depends on how you define "world's fair."
Most sources consider the 1851 Great Exhibition of the Works of Industry of all Nations to be the first world's fair. This grand exhibition took place in London, in a high-tech, glass-and-steel building constructed in Hyde Park specifically for the event. Britain displayed new technologies and manufactured goods made possible by the Industrial Revolution, while other nations showcased items from their own craftspeople and manufacturers. The exhibition was a huge success, and world fairs began popping up all over the globe.

By the start of the 20th century, these international fairs were getting disorganized and even competing with each other. At a 1928 conference in Paris, 31 countries agreed on a set of rules for world's fairs and expositions. This group formed the Bureau of International Expositions (BIE), which became the governing body for successive fairs (the BIE uses the terms "world's fair" and "exposition" interchangeably).

According to the BIE's rules, registered world's fairs can only be held once every five years. One additional recognized exposition of limited duration can take place between registered world's fairs or expositions. However, countries have exerted pressure on the BIE to recognize additional events. Also, some international exhibitions without BIE approval have become known as world's fairs.

The BIE web site and the Expo Museum, a web site devoted to world's fairs, offer somewhat different lists of fairs. There are 46 disputed events that can qualify as world's fairs, depending on the criteria you use. The BIE lists 60 world's fairs, including some smaller fairs known as "special exhibitions." These concentrate on a narrow topic, such as agriculture or sports. The Expo Museum lists 65 events, including some that were not BIE-approved, but which earned popular status as world's fairs. You'll have to compare the lists and decide for yourself what qualifies as a true world's fair.

However, we can tell you that a world's fair of some type has been held every couple of years since 1851. The next BIE special exposition had been scheduled for Seine-Saint-Denis, France, in 2004, but was recently cancelled. The next BIE general-interest world's fair is Expo 2005 and will take place in Aichi, Japan.

Past world's fairs (of all varieties) have been held in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Haiti, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The countries which have hosted the most world's fairs and expositions are Belgium, France, and the United States.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
64 New York Worlds Fair

It was this Worlds fair that Disney made many of the exhibits for. Little items like It's a Small World, Great moments with Mr. Lincoln and others. They also introduce systems that were used in the Disney parks and Particularly Epcot. Do a search on that worlds fair and you can see all of the precursors. There are also some interesting stories on Jim Hill that discusses this as well.

Woody13

X-S TECHFOREVER said:
I have heard about the worlds fair and that it made walt disney famous but why? I never knew what it was really about.
Negative. Walt Disney became famous back in 1928 with the release of Snow White. His fame diminished over the years but his power in the movie industry increased. The 64-65 world's fair was really a backdoor for Walt to get corporate backing for his attractions. By that time, his public fame was rather dim.

Woody13

General Grizz said:
Come on, Woody. . . Mickey Mouse :)
He was not famous for Mickey! He would have gone broke on Mickey! He knew that himself and said it many times! He got on the cover of Time magazine for Snow White, not Mickey!:kiss:

General Grizz

Woody13 said:
He was not famous for Mickey! He would have gone broke on Mickey! He knew that himself and said it many times! He got on the cover of Time magazine for Snow White, not Mickey!:kiss:
Thanks for the kissie, but 1928 was the premiere of Mickey, not Snow White. Snow White came out nine years later. :)

Woody13

General Grizz said:
Thanks for the kissie, but 1928 was the premiere of Mickey, not Snow White. Snow White came out nine years later. :)
I agree on the date. You got me (I wish I had Roy here to check the dates):p . However, don't you agree that Snow White is the film that made Walt famous?:)

Woody13

General Grizz said:
Mickey got him famous, Snow White raised the bar, and Disneyland put it higher. :)
In 1937 he released the first full-length cartoon feature, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to enormous financial and critical success. That is what made him famous. He was an unknown prior.

If Mickey made him famous, then Oswald should have made him far more famous as well! I think you're reading too many rewrites of history Grizz.

Remember, we're talking about fame here, not talent!:)

General Grizz

Woody13 said:
In 1937 he released the first full-length cartoon feature, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to enormous financial and critical success. That is what made him famous. He was an unknown prior.

If Mickey made him famous, then Oswald should have made him far more famous as well! I think you're reading too many rewrites of history Grizz.

Remember, we're talking about fame here, not talent!:)
Unknown prior?! I would consider purchasing "Mickey Mouse: The Black and White Years" DVDs.

Mickey was BIG. :)

Woody13

General Grizz said:
Unknown prior?! I would consider purchasing "Mickey Mouse: The Black and White Years" DVDs.

Mickey was BIG. :)
Yes, I own it. Mickey was BIG. But Walt was not. Walt was STILL not famous at that time! Walt was just a little cartoon maker.

We are not talking about Mickey's fame!:kiss:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom