World Showcase to be staffed by American CMs

Giss Neric

What's the big deal? Do you guys even interact with the international CMs? Not including ordering food.

It affects me cause I always do the lame passport where I go to each country and let each representative stamp and sign the passport which I have no use for anyways.

floydbeatle

What's the big deal? Do you guys even interact with the international CMs? Not including ordering food.

It affects me cause I always do the lame passport where I go to each country and let each representative stamp and sign the passport which I have no use for anyways.

Actually, yes. Having been stationed in Germany I often will speak my basic German to the cast members in Germany. Once I speak they instantly know that I have spent some time abroad and it leads to a conversation. I love it. Same in Japan. Having been stationed in Japan they definitely know as soon as you say anything even remotely correct in Japanese. Once again it leads to great conversation and when they know you have lived in their countries, I think they may get homesick or just want to reminisce, but they will talk at length.

That being said does anyone think it will be hard to find people in the U.S. who could do a passing job. Mexico, China, Canada, UK, Morocco, should all be easy to find a fluent native born in the U.S. (Or for the U.K. and Canada actors :) For Germany I am sure you could find an Army brat somewhere to fill in who is fluent in German and has lived there for years. I am not suggesting they are an adequate long term solution, but Disney may be able to fake their way a little in the meantime.

I for one find it to be a special part of EPCOT to have cultural reps, so it will be a bummer in the short-term, but will all work out long-term.

The Empress Lilly

I don't worry about people working in the China Pavilion but I expect their sales to be the lowest of any on the Pavilions. People are upset with China due to Covid19 but no one should get upset we ith individuals. Remember the Chinese Americans built the intercontinental railroad and have been here for well over 100 years.
I see, thanks. I was wondering why Americans who staff the pavilion should be worried.

China is astonishing, but also a tyrannical dictatorship bent on global domination. No need to mince words about that. ;)

aladdin2007

Actually, yes. Having been stationed in Germany I often will speak my basic German to the cast members in Germany. Once I speak they instantly know that I have spent some time abroad and it leads to a conversation. I love it. Same in Japan. Having been stationed in Japan they definitely know as soon as you say anything even remotely correct in Japanese. Once again it leads to great conversation and when they know you have lived in their countries, I think they may get homesick or just want to reminisce, but they will talk at length.

That being said does anyone think it will be hard to find people in the U.S. who could do a passing job. Mexico, China, Canada, UK, Morocco, should all be easy to find a fluent native born in the U.S. (Or for the U.K. and Canada actors :) For Germany I am sure you could find an Army brat somewhere to fill in who is fluent in German and has lived there for years. I am not suggesting they are an adequate long term solution, but Disney may be able to fake their way a little in the meantime.

I for one find it to be a special part of EPCOT to have cultural reps, so it will be a bummer in the short-term, but will all work out long-term.

I dont think they are going to try to even fake it, I doubt the temp cast will be wearing the pavilion costumes. But instead will just be working in the standard world showcase white pants/shorts world flags shirts. I mean I dont know that for sure, just a hunch that's the route they will take until the actual hosts are able to work here again.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I dont think they are going to try to even fake it, I doubt the temp cast will be wearing the pavilion costumes. But instead will just be working in the standard world showcase white pants/shorts world flags shirts. I mean I dont know that for sure, just a hunch that's the route they will take until the actual hosts are able to work here again.
Usually that’s the rule, that if you are not from the host country you can’t wear the national costume, but from what I’ve heard, that rule won’t apply for the time being

DVCakaCarlF

It would be in bad taste for CMs to wear international attire of the respective countries...hopefully, they coordinate it in a way to staff each country with CMs with either knowledge or heritage related to each country.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom