World Of Motion

Keyblader Ax

Original Poster
What is world of motion? i know it's the ride that test track replaced (or at least i think it is) could some one give me a description of the ride and it's story? thanks in advance.

strobe

It was a slow moving ride (similar to Spaceship Earth) that would take you through the history of transportation, starting back with the invention of the wheel. You would ride through different scenes from important breakthroughs in transportation technology depicted by animitronic characters. It was a neat ride!!

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by Keyblader Ax
What is world of motion? i know it's the ride that test track replaced (or at least i think it is) could some one give me a description of the ride and it's story? thanks in advance.

It also had some of the best smells!!! HAHA. I love the old musty smoke/fire smell that is also in Spaceship Earth!

Expo_Seeker40

See my avator? LOL. The World of Motion was an original ride at EPCOT Center. [Back in the days.:sohappy: ] It was a ride that actually paralleled If You Had Wings in the sense of loading and unloading passengers and themeing. The World of Motion has some of the largest collection of audio animatronics. Each scene depicted a gradual step in time as to how motion effects us today. "Yes, we are constantly becoming a world of motion." Remember that phrase anyone?

By the mid 90s EPCOT Center needed change, though not to the extent I would want. Pavilions went through changes, and so did their rides. EPCOT Center went to EPCOT, then Epcot. Almost all of the symbols of EPCOT Center, a globe inside five circles, is hardly seen anymore today.

The world of motion was effected by this . It closed in January of 96. I only experienced the ride once. It fascinated me though.

Now atleast for SOME nostalga the World of Motion pavilion as far as the exterior goes still exsits, even though there is now a huge tent at the entrance.

I could have only hoped that both rides could have "lived" in harmony in the same pavilion. World of Motion would be on one level for people wanting a slow ride, and Test Track could be for people wanting a thrill ride on a different level.

Here's a link to see the ride back in the day. Check out that orange paint!

http://www.startedbyamouse.com/graphics/steve/wom-bldg.jpg

General Grizz

Originally posted by Expo_Seeker40
By the mid 90s EPCOT Center needed change, though not to the extent I would want. Pavilions went through changes, and so did their rides. EPCOT Center went to EPCOT, then Epcot. Almost all of the symbols of EPCOT Center, a globe inside five circles, is hardly seen anymore today.

And don't forget EPCOT '95, '96, etc. :lol:

Originally posted by Expo_Seeker40
The world of motion was effected by this . It closed in January of 96. I only experienced the ride once. It fascinated me though.

Wow...shows you the power of the attraction since it's even in your avatar. :)

The exterior was gorgeous. . . especially at night. I am still bothered to see the noisy Test Track building. We KNOW that's the World of Motion.

What a great ride. . . Test Track does not do justice in quality and EPCOT Vision; it should have been created behind "Motion" and been part of the Trans-Center. While TT certainly has its merits, for the "Disney Difference," it should have been an add-on. But, alas, why would Disney want to pay for Audio-Animatronics figures? :rolleyes:

Oh no. Don't get me started on the TransCenter. :lol:

I only got to ride WOM once back on my first trip in '93. When we returned in '96, it was already closed and they had all the artwork for Test Track up.

I can remember what the original building looks like, but I can't for the life of me remember anything from that attraction.

General Grizz

mpavnight.jpg

mdiscoverer.jpg

mpostcard.jpg

mbike.jpg

mtraffic.jpg

wom-1.jpg

wom_futurecity.jpg

wom20.jpg

wom41.jpg

wom-2.jpg

Show in the Transcenter Postshow:
wom-bird-robot.jpg

caveman.jpg

worldmanhole.jpg

worldapplecart.jpg

motionpeopleplane.jpg

worldapplecart.jpg

There are some photos.

What many people don't remember about WOM was that it was a pure comedy. Know all of those Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean cooky-looking, yet realistic, animatronics? World of Motion was the 1980s-style "Pirates of the Caribbean" - with 22 scenes, a catchy "Fun to be Free" song even written by the writers of "Yo Ho" - X Atencio and Buddy Baker.

My favorite scenes include the cooky looking Caveman blowing on his feet (classic!), the man on a bicycle who's trying to escape from a dog tugging at his leg, and the ever-famous traffic jam scene. So much action, yet so much education and inspiration for the future.

I believe Ward Kimball, one of Walt's own cooky Nine Old Men, headed off the animatronics design.

Detail was outstanding - probably more detail in this attraction than any other. There was a "cheesyness" to the ride, as there also is in PoTC, but it was supposed to be a comedy. The use of video screens and speed tunnels also added to the special events.

For what World of Motion was, I would say it's probably the most Disneyesque attractions I've ever ridden, something Walt would have surely been proud of.

matt88mph

I first went to Epcot in 1996, sadly the February of 1996, so I missed the Disneyesque majesty that was World of Motion. But I saw the video online, and I liked it. World of Motion, Horizons, and now they're talking about getting rid of Spaceship Earth. I love Omni-Mover rides.

Kopp8699

World of Motion, Horizons, and Living Seas were all omnimovers that were removed..... Granted we got Test Track, Mission Space, and ummm nothing lol 2 replace them, and Test Track and Mission Space are fun, i still miss those classics. They were great rides. Also Journey Into Imagination was killed and a decent new ride is there now (after a complete failure inbetween imo), but it still does not touch the great ride EC once had. If Spaceship Earth falls, i doubt EPCOT (notice the way its written) will never be the same again.

Expo_Seeker40

It's sad in a way as to how Epcot has changed, in my opinion, for the worst. I found some of my grandparents pictures of EPCOT Center back in 1983. I then had the original photographs scanned and digitally remastered on to new archival print paper, and have the originals stored away safetly. The best picture is one my grandma took from the lagoon looking north toward future world. The remastered picture looks great. From left to right you can see one of the towers from the Imagination Pavilion, the top of the Land Pavilion, probably a section of the future site of the Living Seas, Commnicore East and West, Spaceship Earth, Universe of Energy, World of Motion, and a section of Horizons. EPCOT Center appears so nice and fresh, and yet stuck in a time warp in this picture.

1999 was, in my opinion, the last time EPCOT, when it was called that, looked somewhat like it did in 1982. Anyone remember when you entered EPCOT Center there was a nice "mall" with flowers along it that led you to a tall scultpure with the EPCOT Center symbol under Spaceship Earth? That is now leave a legacy, and Spaceship Earth is now distorted with a giant wand and stars on it. YUCK!

When Eisner goes, thank god he's not immortal:lookaroun , then I think or atleast hope someone will come in, take down the wand, clean up Epcot, rename it EPCOT Center, of course give it a face lift with a new color schmeme that is already starting to happen, and just rework and preserve the old, and start with the new. Would a replica Horizons or World of Motion be nice? Sure. I don't mind TT and MS, but I do mind them taking place of something that could have been reworked and modernized, not destroyed.

Just my 2 cents.:p

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I LOVED the different scenes. Especially the one with the guys in Rome that had wheels made out of squares or triangles. The guy who actually had a round wheel had the girl and king's attention. Isn't he also the guy with the really high pitched voice??

Swfewrmco

Some of the AAs from WoM can be seen in the waiting area for the tram portion of the Backstage Studio Tour at MGM. When I was there in August, I caught sight of the man in the balloon, the red centaur, and a few of the signs from the Roman "used car lot".

bluesnut

Originally posted by matt88mph
and now they're talking about getting rid of Spaceship Earth.

Please please they really are not talking about this are they. I'm serious. This will be the worst news of the year. I have to be told this isn't true.:eek: :lookaroun :cry:

General Grizz

Originally posted by dizryan
Some of the AAs from WoM can be seen in the waiting area for the tram portion of the Backstage Studio Tour at MGM. When I was there in August, I caught sight of the man in the balloon, the red centaur, and a few of the signs from the Roman "used car lot".

What a shame. They entertain guests for 15 years, and then sit in the dust.

Disney should really keep the tradition of education and comedy going instead of letting creative talent rot away. . . :(

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Originally posted by bluesnut
Please please they really are not talking about this are they. I'm serious. This will be the worst news of the year. I have to be told this isn't true.:eek: :lookaroun :cry:
Do a search for any thread entitled "Project Gemini" and read. It is in fact true, but it takes too long to explain. Those threads should reveal all of Eisner's evil plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom