World of Motion -- Shedding Light on the Queue

Buzzy989

Original Poster
Having only experienced World of Motion twice or so many years ago, I (like many of us) have been seeking to "recapture" the moments. I have been struggling to envision the attraction's queue area. . . nearly all I can recollect are rectangular cushion panels along the walls, which were originally multicolored but later replaced by a silver tone. I would greatly appreciate it if any member of these forums could possibly link me (and the rest of us!) with some photographs or videos of this oft-overlooked, but still important part of the World of Motion. Also, I can't exactly recall what the exit ramp area looked like either. . . hmmm. . . .

I do have one thought, however. . . World of Motion, like many other original Future World attractions, was built on a limited and quickly declining budget. As we know, the scenes following the speed rooms' entrance were constructed under huge financial constraints; it appears, also, that the queue was also the victim of limited cash. The queue was futuristic and functional, yet rather barren as I recall. . . perhaps that's why my memory of it is limited. :)

Thanks for your time!

Ciar_j

I too would like to see some footage or pictures of the WoM queue. Every video that I have found online has the beginning on the ramp and all the way through to the exit, but no queue.

I remember the queue being in a large room with low ceilings and the walls did have rectangular slats of red carpet as the inlayed light fixtures shown on the carpet on an angle.

Having heard the queue music over and over on my computer, I am not able to recall anything that was heard while standing in line.

cymbaldiva

I have no memory whatsoever of what the queue looked like - I only visited WoM once before it left us....:(

I too would love to see some pics!

jrashadb

This is actually kind of funny because I was just talking to someone about this...

I remember the ride and I remember the area with the cars at the end (similar to the one they have now, but -- of course -- different. But, I can't remember the queue for the life of me. I think I remember there being ramps that you walked up to the load area, but I'm not sure. I sure would like it if there were pics or a video of something... I seem to remember the area being cavernous, but I just can't remember any specifics about it at all...

P.S. :wave: Hi, Diva.

Lord Alfred

You guys have basically nailed it. The queue area was just a large, open area with the walls and ceiling covered with different colors of industrial-type carpet. There was very little theming whatsoever. The huge cavernous area had room for tons of switchbacks but it was very seldom used because this pavillion was always one of least popular (and least impressive).

There was a large, gently sloping ramp that led up to the generic omnimover loading area and there were a series of speakers in the ceiling that played multi-channel sound effects of different vehicles moving by (such as a train, jet, racecar, etc.) Usually the queue started at the door, went to the foot of the ramp and then immediately switched back up the ramp. The vehicles went straight outside and thus begins the ride video you guys all have. The ride dumped you out into the Transcenter pretty much like it does now.

blm07

Ah thanks, I can't remember much of the ride except for a few that I thought were cool: the outside part of the ride, the footprints, animatronics and mini city. The rest I can't remember.

DigitalDisney

Lord Alfred has a great description of the queue.

Somehow, I still remember the big open area. It had a couple switchbacks, but there was clearly room for more if they really wanted to.

The cool thing is that the one big room not only had the queue in a lower area, but also the loading area on a higher platform. So, as you were queuing, you could see people loading onto the vehicles.

If I remember correctly, the walls of the queue area were mirrored (but the walls next to the load platform were not)

The interesting thing is that the queue for Test Track and the WoM queue are extremely similar.

- The main TT queue takes place in the WoM overflow queue (in the old outside area)
- The old elevated platform that served as the WoM loading area is now the dispatch area to the TT preshow rooms
- I could be wrong, but I think the WoM unload platform is right where the current TT load/unload area is (this theory makes a sense structurally)

s25843

Its funny how we all remember the rides but none of us remembers the Queue in detail. I went on the ride 5 or 6 times before it closed and still remember the ride (remember those cavemen foot prints as you first entered from outside? LOL)

On a Side note, I still remember the Horizons Queue

barnum42

I remember entering a large empty room (most of which was a queue area that I never saw used) with a ramp to the right leading the length of the room. As you walked up the ramp, speakers in the ceiling played the noised of passing vehicles. At the top of the ramp you doubled back and then boarded the ride vehicles.

This was I ride I really enjoyed and was sad to see go. I think it was more entertaining than Test Track.

EpcoTim

The que area wasnt anything special, but the ride definitely wasnt built under huge economic restraints by any means. If anything, the exact opposite is true. 180 some odd animitronics is not cheap.

General Grizz

Towards the end of production, money was tight in the World of Motion. In fact, the finale (future city) was originally going to be much more elaborate. So, instead, speedrooms were installed, and the actual future city was made mostly of screens!

Lord Alfred

180 some odd animitronics is not cheap.

True, but the VAST majority of the animatronics in WoM had an extremely limited motion capability. In other words, they only had one or two moving body parts. Very akin to what you see in the Disney store windows or something like Small World. The whole comedy approach to the subject just didn't work, IMHO.

As far as the Queue areas for Test Track vs. WoM. I don't think they are at all similar now. I could be mistaken but I am almost positive that the loading area for WoM was much farther to the right of the pavillion (if you're facing the front of it) than TT's is.

s25843

Originally posted by Lord Alfred
True, but the VAST majority of the animatronics in WoM had an extremely limited motion capability. In other words, they only had one or two moving body parts. Very akin to what you see in the Disney store windows or something like Small World. The whole comedy approach to the subject just didn't work, IMHO.

As far as the Queue areas for Test Track vs. WoM. I don't think they are at all similar now. I could be mistaken but I am almost positive that the loading area for WoM was much farther to the right of the pavillion (if you're facing the front of it) than TT's is.

The Queue area is right in the old open area in the front of the building (where you went on the ramp outside) I think your right about the loading area though

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I visited Epcot during December of 1982, and the line for all the attractions were quite long. The WoM line was only 1 hour and 15 minutes compaired to the 1 hour and 45 minute wait at the Universe of Energy. The queue for WoM actually started outside, under the turn of the Omni-Mover. These switchbacks formed a partial circle under the track (very slippery when wet), then passed through a set of doors into the inner queue system. The only thing I recall about the queue was the fact that you loaded into the omni-mover at the top of a ramp. The inside queue room was void of anything entertaining to look at except the loading of the vehicles.

I also remember the line for Magic Journeys (the original 3D movie) to be over an hour long. Kitchen Kabaret in the Land was a two show wait and SE was 2 hours. While the lines were huge, the fact that all of these attractions were 15 minutes and longer really made it worth it. Having been trained to wait in line during the 70's at Magic Kingdom, long lines were just something you accepted back then.

s25843

I still remember when SE had lines that were going through all the swtchbacks. Now the only lines it ever has run up the ramp, and thats it. Same with PoTC at MK, Muppets at MGM etc.. Ah The Good Ole Days

Originally posted by steve2wdw
I visited Epcot during December of 1982, and the line for all the attractions were quite long. The WoM line was only 1 hour and 15 minutes compaired to the 1 hour and 45 minute wait at the Universe of Energy. The queue for WoM actually started outside, under the turn of the Omni-Mover. These switchbacks formed a partial circle under the track (very slippery when wet), then passed through a set of doors into the inner queue system. The only thing I recall about the queue was the fact that you loaded into the omni-mover at the top of a ramp. The inside queue room was void of anything entertaining to look at except the loading of the vehicles.

I also remember the line for Magic Journeys (the original 3D movie) to be over an hour long. Kitchen Kabaret in the Land was a two show wait and SE was 2 hours. While the lines were huge, the fact that all of these attractions were 15 minutes and longer really made it worth it. Having been trained to wait in line during the 70's at Magic Kingdom, long lines were just something you accepted back then.

strobe

From what I can remember, it was a lot like many of the other 'original' EPCOT queues, large open space with very little theming at all. Basically an indoor version of the queues found at traditonal amusement parks.

DigitalDisney

Originally posted by Lord Alfred

I think you misread my post. I was claiming that the TT load/unload area is the same location as the old WoM unload area. I know that the load areas aren't at the same location.

- The majority of the current TT queue takes place in the covered outdoor WoM area. We can all agree on this fact.
- I believe that the electromagnetic wave room in the TT queue is part of the old walkway to the Transcenter of WoM. I could be wrong about this, but it makes sense structurally (part of the room already exists. Why not use it?).
- The old WoM indoor queue is essentially where the crashed car sits in the TT queue (towards the end of the queue)
- The top of the old WoM load ramp is basically the same location (and elevation) as the preshow dispatch area for TT
- If I remember correctly, the load and unload ramps for WoM were only a wall apart. In other words, once the vehicles finished unloading, they made a U-Turn to the left and went to the loading platform. This distance is about the same width as the TT preshow rooms.

This theory is further bolstered by the fact that the postshows to TT and WoM are in the same location relative to the ride's unload area. With WoM, you went down a ramp and into the Transcenter. With TT, you go down the ramp and into the postshow area.

Also consider this. It makes sense to reuse components when redesigning structures. For example, the Transcenter is the same basic structure through the different versions of the building. They could have destroyed the interior completely, but they chose to keep it. The same goes for the queue area. I imagine the load area is also in the same basic area with both rides (both rides use a system that lies under the track, for what it's worth)

Of course, this is all speculation. I don't have either ride's blueprints in front of me. But my theories make sense in my own twisted little world. :)

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by jrashadb

P.S. :wave: Hi, Diva.

Hi J!!! :wave: PM me sometime!

Back to the subject at hand though ... I miss the old-school Epcot attractions! :cry: I actually liked the very barren yet well lit queues!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom