World of Disney store in NYC closing?!

roadtripper

Original Poster
My wife has a friend who said that she went to the World of Disney store in New York and found out it was closing on Dec. 31. Have no other confirmation as their web site nor any other Disney site seems to mention it. Anyone have a more news on this?

SewIn2Disney

We were there two weeks ago, and anything with the WOD NYC logo on it was 40% off. I jokingly said it was because they were closing, but didn't really believe it because I haven't heard much about that lately.
Now I'll have to try to take a trip up there and buy some more stuff! I almost bought a WOD NYC sweatshirt, but didn't---I should have---instant collectors item!

I hope it doesn't close---every time I'm in there, its wall to wall people, and theres always a huge line to check out. The store is awesome, and one of my favorite things to do when we visit NYC.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Yes, it's closing on the 31st. The rent for that location on 5th Avenue made it completely impossible to be profitable, despite the heavy crowds. There are plans for a smaller Disney store (not World of Disney) to open on 42nd Street sometime next year.

disney9752

I heard that over a year ago from a WDW CM, they jacked up rent waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to high on the store u know mickey is cheap.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
This is common knowledge with a long time now!!! The rent was made CRAZY for it to stay on 5th!!! Amazing store, bin there 5 times and picked up some great stuff!! The plan is to open up a new outlet around the broadway/times square area :sohappy:

Sad to see it go, but cant wait to see what comes next :sohappy:

DizneyPryncess

Wow! This is news to me! I go to NYC 4 times a year for work, and that store is ALWAYS packed! Was just there a few weeks ago and I literally couldn't move. I didn't even make it off the main floor because it was just impossible. I waited forever in line just to get some christmas cards. I didn't notice the 40% off NYC stuff, but then I didn't notice much of anything through all the people.

I'm really sad about this! That store is always a Disney fix for me when there's no trips coming up. :( Boo.

bgraham34

Wow! This is news to me! I go to NYC 4 times a year for work, and that store is ALWAYS packed! Was just there a few weeks ago and I literally couldn't move. I didn't even make it off the main floor because it was just impossible. I waited forever in line just to get some christmas cards. I didn't notice the 40% off NYC stuff, but then I didn't notice much of anything through all the people.

I'm really sad about this! That store is always a Disney fix for me when there's no trips coming up. :( Boo.

I enjoy the store as well. It will be a shame it will be gone. The previous store on 42nd street was not very exciting.

WishIwasThere

This info has been floating around for the last 18 months. The rent at that location went from something like $5M when it opened to a reported $20M a year, which is crazy. My guess is that at that price, that location will be vacant for quite some time in this economy.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
They considered moving in to the old Virgin Records store on 7th and 46th, but that location has been bought by a clothing company.

Keep in mind, if a Disney store opens, it will not be a World of Disney store, but just a Disney store, and as such will not have any Parks and Resorts merchandise.

paul436

I always visited this store as I live within walking distance of the store. It was set up like an olden Fifth Ave. mansion from the golden age of NYC. It was fabulous when it first opened. But the inventory changed somewhere along the line and they didn't have anything that was unique. Then it became affiliated the Disney Parks and it was a great place to visit again. They even put in a meet-and-greet. I have a few pictures of the kids (and me :p) with characters there.

I heard that a store will re-open in the Times Square area. Not surprising since Disney has already invested a ton of money in the area. In my opinion, the influx of Disney money and Disney ideas greatly contributed to the Times Square area turning from a -filled cesspool that the average person would be afraid to walk through at night back to the "Crossroads of the World" that everyone should experience at least once in their life.

Here's a link to an article:
http://gawker.com/5380246/disney-stores-new-look-brought-to-you-by-steve-jobs

MarkTwain

Have you guys heard about Disney's plans for their next store chain, Disney's Imagination Park? Here's a thread on WDWMagic talking about it.

They're looking at putting its flagship store on Times Square, which would be a far better location than even the one World of Disney has on 5th avenue.

At a time when many retailers are still cutting back or approaching strategic shifts with extreme caution, Disney is going the other way, getting more aggressive and putting into motion an expensive and ambitious floor-to-ceiling reboot of its 340 stores in the United States and Europe — as well as opening new ones, including a potential flagship in Times Square.

Disney Stores, which the media giant is considering rebranding Imagination Park, will become more akin to cozy entertainment hubs. The chain’s traditional approach of displaying row after row of toys and apparel geared to Disney franchises will be given a high-tech makeover and incorporated into a new array of recreational activities. The goal is to make children clamor to visit the stores and stay longer, perhaps bolstering sales as a result. Over the next five years, analysts estimate that Disney will spend about $1 million a store to redecorate, reorganize and install interactive technology.

“The world does not need another place to sell Disney merchandise — this only works if it’s an experience,” said Jim Fielding, president of Disney Stores Worldwide. The company plans to unveil the new look in May in Southern California, Long Island and Madrid, and is close to signing a lease for that Times Square flagship.

SewIn2Disney

This is common knowledge with a long time now!!! The rent was made CRAZY for it to stay on 5th!!! Amazing store, bin there 5 times and picked up some great stuff!! The plan is to open up a new outlet around the broadway/times square area :sohappy:

Sad to see it go, but cant wait to see what comes next :sohappy:

Broadway/Times Square would be a much better location. Whenever we go, I always mention that it stinks that we have to make this long trek out of our way just for the Disney store, and why couldn't it be located in Times Square like everything else?

That's exactly why we go----the merchandise, displays, and even the meet and greets complete with photo pass make it a great fix when we need it!

Have you guys heard about Disney's plans for their next store chain, Disney's Imagination Park? Here's a thread on WDWMagic talking about it.

They're looking at putting its flagship store on Times Square, which would be a far better location than even the one World of Disney has on 5th avenue.

That sounds interesting. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

paul436

Agreed! I was at the NYC store once, it was very generic, how much Disney NYC stuff can you have?
Quite a bit I would think. :lol: But really, the customer turn over rate is extremely high here so things will sell. I remember going to Florence, Italy and was excited to find a Disney store there where I could get a Disney Firenze shirt from.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom