World of Color - Season of Light debuts tonight

mickeyfan5534

This is the show that should be the example for all future WoC shows. Focus in on one theme (in this situation, Christmas) and play to the things that we think of when it's said (winter, romance, family, the nutcracker, elaborate light shows, and Peace on Earth)
That said I can't say what hasn't been said before. It was pretty amazing.
The one visual in the entire show that stuck out to me was in the Peace on Earth segment. Esmerelda walking past the candles while Thankful is playing has to be one of the most beautiful and stunning yet simple images ever used in a nighttime show period and it made me fall in love with the whole thing after enjoying it for the most part.

Erich

Show looks amazing and I can't wait to see it in person. The emotional parts of the show are amazing and definitely hit your soft part. Great show in general.

But in my opinion between songs and segments there is a little pause where nothing happens... this to me ruins the flow of the show unlike winter dreams where everything was basically seamless.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Based on the video alone, I must say I am quite impressed with Season of Light. I really love how Disney simply chose movie clips that went with specific Christmas songs, clips that had nothing to do with Christmas. It comes off as a lot let less corporate.

Looking forward to seeing the show in person and making a final judgement call.

Finally felt like an artistic show backed by Disney elements... Instead of a topic based Disney clip show

Californian Elitist

Finally felt like an artistic show backed by Disney elements... Instead of a topic based Disney clip show

EXACTLY.

The show doesn't even seem like it was a Disney production. Feels more like one of those shows people see at the theatre or an orchestra that put on a Christmas act and decided to pay a little homage to Disney by including some scenes.

It is Christmas, featuring Disney and not Disney, featuring Christmas. Much better than Winter Dreams 2.0 and better than Winter Dreams.

flynnibus

Premium Member
EXACTLY.

The show doesn't even seem like it was a Disney production. Feels more like one of those shows people see at the theatre or an orchestra that put on a Christmas act and decided to pay a little homage to Disney by including some scenes.

It is Christmas, featuring Disney and not Disney, featuring Christmas. Much better than Winter Dreams 2.0 and better than Winter Dreams.

for me it was obvious in the first song even... this was feeling more like a bellagio show than what we had seen prior. It really did feel like different art direction in how the fountains and lights were used. And the goofy segment was great for just swagger :)

SpectroMan93

Geez, that "Let There Be Peace on Earth" finale was simply stunning. The most teary eyed I've gotten since I first watched Disney Dreams. I love, love, LOVED how the Disney clips supplemented the music, especially during "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". Understated, but beautifully done. Best version of WoC, and among the best nighttime shows across the parks.

JediMasterMatt

It looks like they are learning from mistakes made in previous shows. More balance between projections and fountains and realize that since this tech doesn't feature live actor performances, it will never be Fantasmic and that makes it hard to hook into a narrative. WoC at its best is a whiz bang tech show that should dazzle the senses.

A good test for any WoC show is to randomly jump the video around and if it's constantly changing the configuration of fountains to mist screens - it's usually a good thing. This show passes that test. Celebrate and Winter Dreams pulled up the 3 mist screens and kept the fountains down way too much of the time and ended up looking very flat because of it. Variety is key with this medium. Take advantage of the 3D space the fountains offer.

It looks impressive on video... I may need to make an impromptu trip to check it out in person.

Californian Elitist

I saw it in person last night. Probably my favorite version of World of Color.

My favorite segments were "The Christmas Song," "Baby, It's Cold Outside," the Goofy segment, "Blue Christmas," and "Peace on Earth." Speaking of "Peace on Earth," HOLY COW. That segment came at such a perfect time. The heart-shaped clouds really added to the show.

I'm looking forward to seeing Season of Light again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom