World Drive Phase-III

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Glad to see some modern roundabouts coming to the resort. I think there is definitely a possibility that these roadway realignment could be for some very long-term planning for future resorts. But I think their primary benefit will be to rationalize the parking situation for these hotels and reduce pedestrian/vehicular conflicts.

If I had to guess, I would imagine that this has been on the drawing board for years, and that this project is likely funded by RCID tax revenue, so the pandemic has had little impact to the schedule.
Who does RCID tax?

cranbiz

Who does RCID tax?
The 19 landowners in the district. Of which Disney is one of those.

Quote from the official website.
The District operates on a fiscal year, beginning on October 1st and ending on September 30th; and funds its operations, services, and capital improvements by assessing taxes and fees to the District’s landowners and lessees, and by issuing ad valorem and utility revenue bonds.

castlecake2.0

Who does RCID tax?
Land and property owners within the District, who is mostly "Disney" or affiliates like Compass Rose and The Celebration Company. It is interesting if you ever speak to someone who work for RCID, they are usually very adamant that they work for "the District" and not "the Company" even though both need each other to exist.

JoeCamel

Land and property owners within the District, who is mostly "Disney" or affiliates like Compass Rose and The Celebration Company. It is interesting if you ever speak to someone who work for RCID, they are usually very adamant that they work for "the District" and not "the Company" even though both need each other to exist.
Is Golden Oak owned or did wdw retain ownership of the land? Or maybe carved it out of RCID?

castlecake2.0

Is Golden Oak owned or did wdw retain ownership of the land? Or maybe carved it out of RCID?
Disney still owns the land but the development isn’t technically part of RCID anymore due to voting rights of residents. However Golden Oak is listed as one of the owners that pays taxes to RCID as I think they still utilize their municipal services. I’d have to look into it more. There’s also lots of little chunks of land around Celebration and Little Lake Bryan that are owned by Disney but not part of the district.

Twirlnhurl

Who does RCID tax?
The RCID primarily taxes Disney, but most of the tax is based on property values, so the amount of money they get is dependent on the Orange County Property Appraiser's assessment, not internal Disney decision-making (at least in the scale of a year or two).

So in 2020, when cash flow dropped to zero for several months (and was severely depressed afterwards), the revenue to RCID changed little, and their long-term projects were largely insulated from Disney's budget cuts.

Last edited:

rawisericho

So, can any insiders tell me if there is any desire for symmetry in these resorts? Like not having "duplicate" land resorts and only considering Liberty Square and Fantasyland based ideas (although I have to say, I think the GF as Main Street explanation is total It's this expensive- seaside resort with charming Disney elegance everywhere. I just don't understand how that correlates to Charlotte's Web-looking Midwestern town)

Last edited by a moderator:

mikejs78

Premium Member
So, can any insiders tell me if there is any desire for symmetry in these resorts? Like not having "duplicate" land resorts and only considering Liberty Square and Fantasyland based ideas (although I have to say, I think the GF as Main Street explanation is total . It's this expensive-seaside resort with charming Disney elegance everywhere. I just don't understand how that correlates to Charlotte's Web-looking Midwestern town)
It's turn of the 20th century. Same time period as Main Street.

Regardless, I doubt modern Disney really cares about staying on-theme with MK in regards to new resorts.

disneyC97

I always
So, can any insiders tell me if there is any desire for symmetry in these resorts? Like not having "duplicate" land resorts and only considering Liberty Square and Fantasyland based ideas (although I have to say, I think the GF as Main Street explanation is total . It's this expensive- seaside resort with charming Disney elegance everywhere. I just don't understand how that correlates to Charlotte's Web-looking Midwestern town)
I always thought of Disneyland’s Main Street as Midwest and Florida’s drawing from Eastern Victorian architecture (more ornate, detailed)…for example the railroad station is based on the original one in Saratoga, NY.

rawisericho

I always

I always thought of Disneyland’s Main Street as Midwest and Florida’s drawing from Eastern Victorian architecture (more ornate, detailed)…for example the railroad station is based on the original one in Saratoga, NY.
Interesting. So you think it's more Upstate NY?

TrippedUp

Also, how have they not built on site 07? They could put a Skyliner to a resort on that site with continuing service to Saratogo and Springs.
Bob Holland said the funding and demand have never alligned at the right time with the right idea. Disney is aware they don't get a do-over on that site and they don't want to build something value engineered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom