World Drive Phase-III

Kamikaze

I'm part of the small population that lives to row through the gears in the USA. To me, it is a theft deterrent since many don't know how to drive a stick and both hands and both feet concentrated on driving at all times. Save the manuals!
I drove a manual Mustang for many years, and yes, its a theft deterrent, but almost all new vehicles have options/features for you to disable them or find them remotely.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Since we're back to circles...

What made NJ circles death traps for decades is that almost each one had their own local 'rule' about which oncoming traffic had the right-of-way. For, you see, the major route was expected to enter the circle from both directions and the minor 'side' roads were the ones that had to yield to those in the circle.

And there was no signage to indicate that.

Then, as population density grew, the major two-lane roads always had continuous oncoming traffic which prevented the 'side' spurs from entering. And so, for a while, they'd install traffic lights on the main road about 50 yards from the circle just to stop the oncoming traffic so the side roads can get on and through. That's right, a light where there is no cross road just to create gaps in the flow of cars.

Now, most circles have been converted to cross roads with lights (and the ones with five spurs are very complicated over which lanes can proceed with separate green lights for going left or straight at each entrance.). And the ones that exist are all properly signed with regard to who has the right of way.

Circles work very well... when there isn't heavy traffic, and are well-signed.

Last edited:

cranbiz

Until you have to drive I-4 daily......
I has sticks for the longest time. Once I started working in Boston, that want went away. I 4 was bad enough with a Harley when I was going from Deltona to WDW for work.

I can drive anything with a stick, from 3 on the tree to 2 speed rear ends and 1959 fire trucks with non syncro transmissions. Just because I can, doesn't mean I want to every day.

ImperfectPixie

I has sticks for the longest time. Once I started working in Boston, that want went away. I 4 was bad enough with a Harley when I was going from Deltona to WDW for work.

I can drive anything with a stick, from 3 on the tree to 2 speed rear ends and 1959 fire trucks with non syncro transmissions. Just because I can, doesn't mean I want to every day.
I drove a stick in Boston for many, many years. I actually miss it.

James J

In the Parks
No
The vast majority of cars in the U.K. are manual. Something like 70k tests taken a year are in automatic cars, 1.5 million in manual cars.

If you pass a driving test in an automatic, you are only allowed to drive an automatic car.
My American wife is yet to begin driving lessons here because of the backlog due to Covid, and is still shocked by the difference in number between manual and automatic cars. She's going to have fun using gears for the first time!

JoeCamel

My American wife is yet to begin driving lessons here because of the backlog due to Covid, and is still shocked by the difference in number between manual and automatic cars. She's going to have fun using gears for the first time!
Did she drive before?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Is that razor wire around the top to keep the prisoners in?

I've driven 70,000 miles in the last 18 months encountering many roundabouts in my travels. 60 mph 4 lane semi divided slowed and brought together for a moment to neighborhood ones. They all seemed to flow pretty well and weren't littered with debris from multiple crashes
a. Were those traffic circles in Florida?
b. Were most of the drivers in those circles tourists suffering from Theme Park IQ Drop?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I was 3 under par!!!
Jack Par? What did he shoot?
1635473798998.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom