working out for Disney

HouCuseChickie

Today is a rest day after doing a bit too much working out over the weekend.

Saturday, I did some really dumb stuff. I'm using this running app that's got training programs put together by the same guy who does the RunDisney plans. I was already a bit off because the app's training seemed far more intense than the RunDisney plan. Turns out, it's because I have it set to "improve my time" vs. "first half marathon." I also didn't use it for my first plan run because I thought I had to use GPS and my phone battery was low. So, I felt behind. I did the run, but it wasn't as intense as it should have been and because I didn't use the app that one day, it looked like I was behind. I wasn't supposed to run on Saturday according to either plan, but I did. And the relaxing walk I was supposed to do on Friday with the app and just did without it on my treadmill...well, dummy me decided to turn that into an extra mile of run/walk. All in all, I ran about 4.05 mi on Saturday when I should have done nothing. I also biked for a bit after that to loosen up my legs and then worked arms and abs. I had a 5.30 mi run for my long run of the week on this more intense program...and even though I was beat from Saturday...I ran it yesterday...and even changed my run walk ratio. I finished, but not strong. Sure, the heat didn't help either...but I really need to follow the plan from here on out. I did at least get in some good legwork afterwards to fully stretch out my legs, so not too much pain today and abs were good too. Oh...and to add to my dumb stuff...I didn't do a good job mapping out where my run would end. I was about 1.25 mi from home at the end of the run, so I still had to walk a bit to get back.

Now to figure out my new hydration vest so I am better prepared for the heat on my next run. I also bought socks that fit your individual toes to help reduce some of those toe blisters I'm starting to get. Oh...and the good news...the scale has started moving in the right direction again!

Songbird76

That's truly shocking that the teacher allowed signs that said things like that. I know some teachers say they're just trying to stay out of the drama, but when you sign up to teach kids...especially middle school and high school kids...you have to be ready to navigate that drama and redirect it out of your class and school activities. It sounds like your current group is nice and supportive. I mean, that's the kind of environment where people thrive and grow! What's funny is that my biggest high school battles tended to be with our director. While we were very successful in competitions and placed a high number of singers in the elite state and regional choirs, there was some kind of unspoken rivalry with us. I thought she was just trying to keep the drama out when she refused to let any of us have competition solos. Our entire music program was award driven and the idea of not going for every award possible seemed to be in direct conflict with their goals, but I realized it was me when senior solos came around. She usually allowed the top senior voice to have a solo of 'her choosing' during the two main choral concerts of the year. I forget what she gave me for spring, but for Christmas, instead of letting me do How Beautiful are the Feet from the Messiah (which was the right fit for my voice)...she pieced together a bunch of random portions from the Messiah (a blend of alto 1 and sop 2) for me to sing. AND THEN...after my solo...she got up and sang her own (O Holy Night). It didn't sour me to solos, but it made ready to walk at the first hint of drama or pettiness.
It's sad that a director feels the need to do that! I think it's kind of inappropriate for the director to be showcasing her own voice during a school concert. It's supposed to show how hard the choir has worked, not how wonderful the director's voice is.

I think honestly my teacher either hadn't read the sign thoroughly, or they snuck it past her. We were supposed to get them approved, and since that poster was hung up, I assumed she'd approved it, but I can't imagine that she'd have done that. She really liked me. My freshman year, I was the only one from our school to make All-state, and freshman don't usually make it, so that's why I always got the lead role in the musicals. There was a senior girl who was known for having a lovely voice, but she didn't make all-state, even as a senior. So when the musical rolled around, I got the lead, and she got the 2nd female singing part. And I think there were some people who felt that it was unfair because she had seniority...well, they ALL had seniority. I was the freshman. And I think that kind of built up for the next few years, that even though I was younger, I always got the lead because I was always the only one who made all-state (until my senior year, and then there was a sophomore Alto, and a Senior tenor who was bused in from another town). And I wasn't very popular in my school because we were poor, I was a "nerd", and I was a prude. I didn't party with them, and I got good grades, so I was already a pariah, and I think some of the kids just wanted to see me fail at something. They wanted to see me get knocked down. Not that any of them wanted the role themselves, they just didn't want ME to have it.

Songbird76

Today is a rest day after doing a bit too much working out over the weekend.

Saturday, I did some really dumb stuff. I'm using this running app that's got training programs put together by the same guy who does the RunDisney plans. I was already a bit off because the app's training seemed far more intense than the RunDisney plan. Turns out, it's because I have it set to "improve my time" vs. "first half marathon." I also didn't use it for my first plan run because I thought I had to use GPS and my phone battery was low. So, I felt behind. I did the run, but it wasn't as intense as it should have been and because I didn't use the app that one day, it looked like I was behind. I wasn't supposed to run on Saturday according to either plan, but I did. And the relaxing walk I was supposed to do on Friday with the app and just did without it on my treadmill...well, dummy me decided to turn that into an extra mile of run/walk. All in all, I ran about 4.05 mi on Saturday when I should have done nothing. I also biked for a bit after that to loosen up my legs and then worked arms and abs. I had a 5.30 mi run for my long run of the week on this more intense program...and even though I was beat from Saturday...I ran it yesterday...and even changed my run walk ratio. I finished, but not strong. Sure, the heat didn't help either...but I really need to follow the plan from here on out. I did at least get in some good legwork afterwards to fully stretch out my legs, so not too much pain today and abs were good too. Oh...and to add to my dumb stuff...I didn't do a good job mapping out where my run would end. I was about 1.25 mi from home at the end of the run, so I still had to walk a bit to get back.

Now to figure out my new hydration vest so I am better prepared for the heat on my next run. I also bought socks that fit your individual toes to help reduce some of those toe blisters I'm starting to get. Oh...and the good news...the scale has started moving in the right direction again!
Well, I'm betting the walk home was at least a nice cool down, if nothing else? But be careful....you don't want to overdo it and end up getting injured. Can you reset the app now to first half-marathon?

HouCuseChickie

It's sad that a director feels the need to do that! I think it's kind of inappropriate for the director to be showcasing her own voice during a school concert. It's supposed to show how hard the choir has worked, not how wonderful the director's voice is.

I think honestly my teacher either hadn't read the sign thoroughly, or they snuck it past her. We were supposed to get them approved, and since that poster was hung up, I assumed she'd approved it, but I can't imagine that she'd have done that. She really liked me. My freshman year, I was the only one from our school to make All-state, and freshman don't usually make it, so that's why I always got the lead role in the musicals. There was a senior girl who was known for having a lovely voice, but she didn't make all-state, even as a senior. So when the musical rolled around, I got the lead, and she got the 2nd female singing part. And I think there were some people who felt that it was unfair because she had seniority...well, they ALL had seniority. I was the freshman. And I think that kind of built up for the next few years, that even though I was younger, I always got the lead because I was always the only one who made all-state (until my senior year, and then there was a sophomore Alto, and a Senior tenor who was bused in from another town). And I wasn't very popular in my school because we were poor, I was a "nerd", and I was a prude. I didn't party with them, and I got good grades, so I was already a pariah, and I think some of the kids just wanted to see me fail at something. They wanted to see me get knocked down. Not that any of them wanted the role themselves, they just didn't want ME to have it.

Yeah...I suspect there was some jealousy that she just failed to control.

I would like to hope that the teacher just missed it or they slipped this one in without her knowing. Seniority is all well and good, but when it comes to performance, the most talented people should get the solos. I know I ruffled feathers of upperclassmen when I was a freshman. And as I type this, I can hear Gwen Verdon's Roxy Hart in my head saying "that's showbiz, kid." We had a pretty decent talent pool in our school, so I wasn't the only one making all-state, region, all east, etc., but I was always the only Sop I and all of the "older" select group sopranos knew they were no longer the shoe ins for school solos. So, it sounds like you got the roles you deserved since talent should be the deciding factor IMO. Kids can just be so horrible and mean at these ages. Thinking back on those days, I don't know if I was liked by my fellow singers or not, but I'm thinking probably not...at least not for my first couple of years. I had several different social groups, but none of those people sang. In the first couple of years, I never had anyone to stay with for our big annual competition trips...and they usually just had to place me with people who had an open spot. I miss some of the singing, but I don't miss the teen drama of this time. The good part...we've survived all of this and hopefully we can use it to help our children through their own difficult times.

HouCuseChickie

Well, I'm betting the walk home was at least a nice cool down, if nothing else? But be careful....you don't want to overdo it and end up getting injured. Can you reset the app now to first half-marathon?

I guess that is a pro to all of this...walking through the forested areas is very calming. I stopped to watch a few birds for a bit, but the darn mosquitoes were out in full force, so I couldn't linger for too long. The app will allow me to jump around and I'm sure there's a reset, but it was that psychological need to have all of the boxes checked so that everything was done in chronological order. I should be good now. I just have to control myself from being stupid in all of this...because I will get hurt...knowing me.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm alive and tired, all went well this weekend but all I did was some easy yoga and the topper was I had to be out EARLY this morning to get all my errands done. I'm still doing my spring cleaning raw cleanse and with luck things will have settled down so I can get back to walking outside.

Sans Souci

Hello-

I took advantage of the beautiful weather and worked in my yard. I chilled out there, too. We went to a crab house around the corner for lunch on Saturday and sat out on their patio. I ate my body weight in shrimp. :p I did yoga on Saturday and went for a walk with my husband Sat and Sunday.

This morning I did an hour of yoga and then I went out for a walk. It is very humid here today.

I got my medicine. I want to do a dry run, but I had some questions for my doctor. My date is set (6/5) and I've booked a room on my husband's Marriott points, so all I need to pay for is dinner and breakfast. Everything is else is covered. I found some public address announcements and I've been practicing them for 5 min/day. Even though I am alone when I do it, I still get nervous. I'm hopeless. :hilarious:

I've started meditating again, too. I find it helps me to pause and breathe before I do something.

epcotisbest

We went to Typhoon Lagoon yesterday. Let's just say I am not in good enough physical shape to be doing that again.
Part of the problem is the amount of stair climbing and a few places where you carry your raft up the stairs to then go down.
We did a few of the raft and tube type slides multiple timres, but we don't do body slides at all.
And, I am not much on the last river either. It was OK, but crowded and kinda boring. Ok, this stupid device insists on changing lazy to last. It changes stupid to st if too. Now that is s t u o I f. Look what it just did to the word stupid.
Yes, it sounds like I am complaining when no one made me ride those slides and climb those stairs.
All my fault as I still have all kinds of problems with accepting that I can't do things I used to do.
I could not sleep hardly any and have been up about an hour now. If I am aching like this later, we might not go over to the F&G Festival at Epcot, then I will be really disappointed in myself for not showing more restraint at the water park yesterday.
On the bright side, the weather is great and the pools here at SSR are refreshing, the lounge chairs comfortable, and there is lots of yummy food just a short walk away at DS. Plus a well stocked fridge here in the room.
Auto correct on this Amazon Fire tablet is awful and makes typing this painfully slow, and some of the suggestions and corrections are just stupid. For example, this this just changed this thing to this this three times, which makes no sense. It also does some other weird stuff with spacing and grammar. Think I am gonna try to figure out how to turn this auto correct off.

Songbird76

Yeah...I suspect there was some jealousy that she just failed to control.

I would like to hope that the teacher just missed it or they slipped this one in without her knowing. Seniority is all well and good, but when it comes to performance, the most talented people should get the solos. I know I ruffled feathers of upperclassmen when I was a freshman. And as I type this, I can hear Gwen Verdon's Roxy Hart in my head saying "that's showbiz, kid." We had a pretty decent talent pool in our school, so I wasn't the only one making all-state, region, all east, etc., but I was always the only Sop I and all of the "older" select group sopranos knew they were no longer the shoe ins for school solos. So, it sounds like you got the roles you deserved since talent should be the deciding factor IMO. Kids can just be so horrible and mean at these ages. Thinking back on those days, I don't know if I was liked by my fellow singers or not, but I'm thinking probably not...at least not for my first couple of years. I had several different social groups, but none of those people sang. In the first couple of years, I never had anyone to stay with for our big annual competition trips...and they usually just had to place me with people who had an open spot. I miss some of the singing, but I don't miss the teen drama of this time. The good part...we've survived all of this and hopefully we can use it to help our children through their own difficult times.
Amen to that! I do not miss that time at all. I miss things like All-state. I always made friends there....there was no jealousy because they had all made it, too, so we were all on the same level and didn't have to compete with each other. So I miss that, but I don't miss the school drama from jealousy.

Songbird76

Hello-

I took advantage of the beautiful weather and worked in my yard. I chilled out there, too. We went to a crab house around the corner for lunch on Saturday and sat out on their patio. I ate my body weight in shrimp. :p I did yoga on Saturday and went for a walk with my husband Sat and Sunday.

This morning I did an hour of yoga and then I went out for a walk. It is very humid here today.

I got my medicine. I want to do a dry run, but I had some questions for my doctor. My date is set (6/5) and I've booked a room on my husband's Marriott points, so all I need to pay for is dinner and breakfast. Everything is else is covered. I found some public address announcements and I've been practicing them for 5 min/day. Even though I am alone when I do it, I still get nervous. I'm hopeless. :hilarious:

I've started meditating again, too. I find it helps me to pause and breathe before I do something.
Have you still been doing Toast Masters? Is there a question list somewhere of things they are likely to ask, so that you can prepare answers? I find I can present myself better if I know what I want to say. Good luck!!

Songbird76

We went to Typhoon Lagoon yesterday. Let's just say I am not in good enough physical shape to be doing that again.
Part of the problem is the amount of stair climbing and a few places where you carry your raft up the stairs to then go down.
We did a few of the raft and tube type slides multiple timres, but we don't do body slides at all.
And, I am not much on the last river either. It was OK, but crowded and kinda boring. Ok, this stupid device insists on changing lazy to last. It changes stupid to st if too. Now that is s t u o I f. Look what it just did to the word stupid.
Yes, it sounds like I am complaining when no one made me ride those slides and climb those stairs.
All my fault as I still have all kinds of problems with accepting that I can't do things I used to do.
I could not sleep hardly any and have been up about an hour now. If I am aching like this later, we might not go over to the F&G Festival at Epcot, then I will be really disappointed in myself for not showing more restraint at the water park yesterday.
On the bright side, the weather is great and the pools here at SSR are refreshing, the lounge chairs comfortable, and there is lots of yummy food just a short walk away at DS. Plus a well stocked fridge here in the room.
Auto correct on this Amazon Fire tablet is awful and makes typing this painfully slow, and some of the suggestions and corrections are just stupid. For example, this this just changed this thing to this this three times, which makes no sense. It also does some other weird stuff with spacing and grammar. Think I am gonna try to figure out how to turn this auto correct off.
My friend's Kindle Fire always changed "Super" to "A$$ Zoology" (except it didn't use dollar signs).

The lazy river is about the only thing I did last trip to the water parks. Stairs kill my hip. I'm glad you got to do some rides, but please be careful!!

Songbird76

DD's birthday is tomorrow so I'm getting my exercise by getting the house organized. I mowed both the front and back, and I think I'm going to have to just spray the front down with vinegar and dish soap. It's too riddled with weeds to save and it looks awful. I need to just start over.
I also cleaned up my kitchen counters that were really cluttered, and later I need to scrub out the deep fryer, and we're going to make a cake. 4500 steps so far, and I still have to get DS from school, do the grocery shopping, make dinner, etc.
But first, it's fastpass day!

epcotisbest

Breakfast. Eating alone as someone is still snoozing again. I did manage to prepare it without waking her again. Chef Art Smith has nothing on me. We did eat there Saturday and the chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, biscuits and fried green tomatoes were good. Not my grannies southern cooking good (i really miss her) but OK for a celebrity chef place.

IMG_20190521_064227.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom