Working at Disney

ct00000

Original Poster
I know that I'm probably not doing this correctly, but I'm looking for some "insider" information on working at Disney World.

I was a character for the summer of '98 and ever since, I've wanted to work at Disney in a more professional manner. I have a BS in Business and have been in advertising sales for the past 4 years.

I know that Disney is big on promotions from within, and I was hoping there was someone who has started "at the bottom" and worked their way up. If so, please spill your guts to me :D

Thanks!!!!!

Katherine

Welcome to the boards. I don't know the answer to your question but for future refence these kind of questions should go in the company section(I think). Sorry I don't know the answer.

fngoofy

Here tis,
I was asking the same question about 18 months ago.
I have a Business degree as well (BA)
4 yrs management experience in technology companies
Huge Disney fan

I tried applying for jobs posted on the Disney site about 2 years ago. No luck, even on at least 2 jobs that literaly fit me to a tee. Not even a nibble.

Last July my wife and I moved down so that I could "start from within" get some experience, and post on jobs from within the company.

I lasted about 5 months.
No big shocks, just not a gig for someone my age (35), married, and used to eating.

The pay is flat out 6.35/hr, unless you get a job that pays a premium, which is like $0.75 more.

Here is the real kicker, IMNSHO, ORLANDO SUCKS AS A CITY!!!
I have never seen such nice neighborhoods have such s#!^ty neighborhoods right next to them. I'm talking crackville right across from tennis club.

That's just in some areas, other areas are really bad, just the kind of places that give you the willies.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of nice places north of Orlando, and if you work at Disney you can expect a 2hr commute.

There are also some fun things to do in Orlando, and if you have extra money (you won't) and if your wife/girlfriend/significant other is also off on Tues & Wed they can do something fun with you (if they want to pay for the evening)

Most CMs over the age of 30 loathed their role (with few exceptions.) Don't get me wrong, lots of management enjoyed their jobs alot. The of the ones I knew, the 2 that were just marrying or having children both told me in private that they were looking at their careers very differently now that they needed to be home and wanted to see their families (xmas, thanksgiving, easter, you name it, you're working)

So, if you are young (under 28) and can deal with eating lots of mac&cheese, and like a humid hellish weather (every month but Jan & Feb) Disney might be for you. I still love Disney just as much if not more than I did before giving it a shot. Not bitter at all, moved back to KS with my wife, got my old position back (director of sales for an eCommerce service) and am looking forward to our next trip to WDW.

Good luck, but think it though.

ct00000

Original Poster
Hey!

Thanks so much for the posting. It's amazing the number of people in our situation who contemplate such a thing.

I'm not married, 27 y/o, but am making a lot more than $6.35/hour. I also have a lot of financial responsibilities(more than that pay could cover)
You know, when I worked in characters I made $7/hour, but I can't imagine dressing up as Tigger at my age, and I really don't see myself as selling hot dogs, or even retail, and I'm sure that would be what I would have to do.

In '98 when I worked there, I was fresh out of college, and had no responsibilities, so it was much easier to work with little $$. Right now, I'm in advertising sales (for the past 4 years), and I'm again similar to you by finding jobs online that I was perfect for, but nothing happened.

I think there's some abyss that all applications fall in; I have little faith in that online application method.

I hear a lot about internal postings of jobs. I don't really remember that to be the case, do you?

I enjoy visiting Orlando, but I, like you, I've seen the "nasty side" of the city. I'm near Atlanta now, so the weather is not a problem.

Again, my main concern is the financial side of it. I would have to sell my house, probably have a "real" job and work at Disney only on the weekends, until another Disney job (corporate level) opened up.

Ugh.

Anyway, I really appreciate your insight and info from your real world experience.

cm1988

Been there, done that

Started at less than $5 an hour, and most weeks could only find 35 hours.

Further opportunities s-s-s-l-o-o-o-w-ly materialized over the years. The internal transfer process is not much different than the external hire process. Same folks run it! You still have huge competition for any opportunity.

Want to demolish your finances? Follow me!

It is not initially easy. A person could miss the best of it at first. Many cast members have less than a 1-year tenure, so a newcomer may feel like something of an outsider for a while. And there is the whole "little fish - big pond" thing.

As years pass, I'm less in debt to the banks (yes!) and sincerely more indebted to every guest who passes through a park gate or stays at a resort. I'm especially grateful to those of you who share that you visit again and again, and still see the magic out there. Whew!

A literal Cast of Thousands wants to see that happen.

Considering employment here? My suggestion, if you're a College Program candidate, definately go for it. If you happen to live in Orlando and want to give it a try, sure, please do. If you have an established career going elsewhere, maybe think about waiting until semi-retirement time! In the meantime, I hope you'll continue to enjoy the magic with each visit. And thank you; you make it more than worthwhile!

VILLAINSRULE

what a thoughtful response! i am thinking of moving to florida, and want to work part time at WDW, and I am always looking to see what actual CMs think of the job.......I still think Disney is magic, and what other job is there that you can affect so many people on a daily basis? where a smile is important? I look forward to the day when I can pin on my name tag and know that I am helping to create magic for someone!

cm1988

Yet another money disclaimer...

Originally posted by VILLAINSRULE
... thinking of moving to florida, and want to work part time at WDW...look forward to the day when I can pin on my name tag and know that I am helping to create magic for someone!
Great! We'll be here.

Main thing is, it's a great early and later-career option. Maybe you've noticed the majority of onstage cast are other than "mid-career". I just don't see how it would balance the monthly books - e.g. pay the rent - for head of household, single-income individuals. Most entry level roles at WDW fill the same job descriptions that you'd find at your local department store or restaurant. Yes, a different work environment, but pretty much the same money!

With apologies for temporary thread drift, VillainsRule, Reading PA is (I think) listed as one of the most liveable communities on findyourspot.com. Mild climate, great outdoors nearby, culture, general quality of life is excellent, they say!

You may note the disparaging comments about O-town (Orlando) earlier in this thread. Can't say I'm crazy about the place. That's probably why I checked out "findyourspot.com"! The city itself is something of a sprawl (with a pretty downtown, at least) and much of the countryside is weeds, billboards and motor home parks. Somewhat deficient in aesthetics. :( Exception to that: Lake County.. just to the West/Northwest of 'the World'.

Mr D

When I was last at WDW it was december 2001, flew down from Alaska for two weeks, stayed at a vacation rental home. I am 46, married but may be divorcing, I have a single son age nine. My career is heavy equipment repair like concrete mixers, tractors, loaders, welding and fabrication, machine shop work, lots of 3 phase 480volt motor control work, a plant engineer which defined means I build a concrete batching facility from the ground up and integrate it to modern computer programs, been doing work like this for 30 years and even though I was a high school droput and no GED I usually get a good job because all my experiance has been on the job learning, I have credentials in certain areas but not sengineering degrees or colledge background, but yet over the years I was consistently promoted over those that did.

Why am I posting this?

Simple, I love excitement, creativity and designing new projects, its in my blood and it comes natural. A people person I am not.

During that visit in Orlando and liesurely exploring WDW it gave me the opportunity to ask CM's about work and pay, the engineer of the train at MK was impressed with my knowledge of steam, pressures, classification of the locomotive. Trains big and small has been my extreme hobby, he said Disney would hire me in a heartbeat! And also was the chief operator of the sternwheeler at MK, I was a chief engineer on a larger vessel at Lake Tahoe for two years so I guess I could understand the basics there.:animwink: He was in that position for I think 6 years, but his pay was still about what a fast food worker in Alaska makes. I also ran into some very friendly CM's at other places like at Fantasmic, HM Main Street, Astro Orbiter.

I was consistently amazed at the love of the company these employees had, in subdued tones they were aware of the pay, low morale and future uncertaities of full time employment but overall they were workers I wish I had at my job.

I wish very much for a chance or opportunity to have been part of Disney, I would pack up and leave Alaska, live in my 5th wheel trailor in a park and give it a shot, after all I usually only work 9 months a year and often my daily pay exceeds what a WDW CM makes in a week, course just for the chance to be an imagineer, installer, ride control tech or even just a person with a greasegun lubing fittings at 3AM would be enough for me, its not a pay issue.
I have other income from my inventions like the LED flashlights I design and sell.

Upcoming this next january in 2004 is my next visit to Orlando, already I have booked a rental home for a month, enough time for me to drop off a resume and scope out living arraingements if indeed I choose the path of moving there seasonally or permanently.

In summing this all up its a retirement type of job, a place where if possible I could utilize all my years of designing, extreme challenges of work from oil fields in Texas to the ski slopes of the Sierras at 8400' as a snowcat mechanic to the rugged weather of Alaska in the winter while its -45 outside and a whole lot inbetween. What I want is a job to make my mark in history, and often it bugs me to death that its Disney and not another big name corporation.

Should I even bother with this dream I am asking any knowledgeable CM here? I seriously doubt Disney could match my pay of at least the last ten years but I am willing to forego the low pay, its the challenges I want. Thanks to any CM that may be here on the board and recalls me when we talked back in 2001, you were very helpful and a credit to your company.

ct00000

Original Poster
Thank you to the above cast member who HONESTLY replied to the posting.

Although it's discouraging, to some extent, it still helps to hear real world experiences.

I'm still thinking my move through.

I do have a well paying job, but am planning a move anyway, possibly to FL, as I'm now in GA anyway.

Thanks again to everyone for any helpful tips!!!

Good Luck!

(It's amazing what that mouse can do to us)

:brick:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
2 things..

#1- I won't post my opinion of working for Disney for numerous reasons. Mainly, my history with the company is EXTREMELY unusual, and I don't feel that I would A- be giving a good description of working for the mouse, and B- I may scare people off from working @ Disney.

#2- cm1988.... that link you showed me. Man.. it is DEAD ON!!! I've known Vegas is the place for me.. this just friggin sealed the deal.

mac388

Working and Living in Disney/Orlando

Hey Everyone-
I worked for Disney on three separate occasions, all through the College Program with one advanced internship. I can literally tell you that Disney is no fun when you're making no money. A friend of mine is making about 9 dollars per hour and she holds a Master's Degree! Her retirement from the Company will be 82 dollars a month. That being said, I agree that it's a great option for those that are either in college or retirees. I just don't see how someone could support a family working there, even full time. My boyfriend and I left because it seemed like a lot of Cast Members did a lot of horizontal movement within the company, but lateral movement was very difficult.
However, I really enjoyed working there for the time being. It was extremely low stress (as long as you didn't let irritable guests get to you). Also, I'm one of those weird ones that LOVED the weather. I grew up in Buffalo and live in New York, and this year our winter was particularly horrible. The only thing that kept my family and I going was the trip we took in February to Disney. My family will be moving to Orlando and we are really looking forward to it. The reason that you have such a mixture of communities right next to each other is because Florida has no zoning requirements. Therefore, you can have a discount T-shirt outlet right next to luxury condos. Actually, it really doesn't bother me anymore. I appreciate the sense of community in Orlando as well as the growth. The shopping and entertainment is spectacular, but it won't break the bank like it does in NYC. Orlando is clean and for the most part, well-maintained. I am a teacher and from what I observed, their schools are getting better (but still need some work compared to national standards).
I would love to move there, but I think I need to be closer to the east coast and the ocean. I think in Orlando as well as Disney, the pros outweigh the cons. Go for it!

dreammaker

A few points to remember...(Hate to be mean and direct, but sometimes its nessecary)
#1) Disney is more then Disney world...you don't have to start in the parks!
#2) Disney has a full website, www.disneycareers.com that actually discusses career roles.
#3) Unless you plan to move into middle managment at the parks, you really dont start at the parks for Managment, many transfer from other parts of the country.
#4) None of the "battle front" jobs are designed to be filled by someone looking to support a family, or create a career out of it. (Think about it, when you were 16, would you picture yourself working at Chuck E. Cheese at 42 with a family?)
#5) Michael Eisner was a good thing for a while, now it's time for him to leave gracefully, hopefully through the same abyss he has sent quality assurance.
#6) Orlando is a tourist town...plain and simple.
#7) It's Florida, no matter were you go it's not gonna be the best weather...if you hate humidity try Alaska.

Sorry for venting, long day, and just wanted to point some stuff out...

cm1988

Token appreciation

Originally posted by dreammaker
...#4) None of the "battle front" jobs are designed to be filled by someone looking to support a family, or create a career out of it. (Think about it, when you were 16, would you picture yourself working at Chuck E. Cheese at 42 with a family?)...
Sorry for venting, long day, and just wanted to point some stuff out...
Now <I>there's</I> a different dream.
I'd just like to say that WDW has better animatronics, but maybe Chuck-E has better pizza.
Disney needs to re-think its pizza recipes. Years ago, they had some pretty good stuff.
But back on the subject of "working at Disney"
i.m.h.o...
Enjoyed your posting, dreammaker! Some new perspectives and insight. If I may, I'll second #1,2,4, and 7. As for #3, I see Mgt. primarily from two sources... those who started <b>young</b> and patiently, patiently got promoted while being subsidized by living with parents or sharing an apartment (or house trailer in Loughman). The other Mgt. I see are the lucky ducks who stumbled in the front door at the right time... maybe have the right degree from the right school. Also, a certain # of WDWCP grads go on to advanced internships and occasionally full-time roles.
As for #6, you maybe need to walk around Lake Eola, then through Thornton Park... drive down past some of the Conway neighborhoods... or dozens of other areas well to the north and east of I-drive. There are places to <i>live</I> here; most are on the expensive side, though. And like most cities now, there's too much sprawl and not enough culture.

dreammaker

Isnt that the truth about the sprawl...if they put up another mcd's or movie theater where I live im gonna scream! I long for the when people looked and said, hey, that would be a nice place for a real THEATRE. Or something unique you can't find anyplace but here! I guess our "Mall Culture" in this country has reduced us to that.

Maria

Originally posted by dreammaker
#1) Disney is more then Disney world...you don't have to start in the parks!
#2) Disney has a full website, www.disneycareers.com that actually discusses career roles.
#3) Unless you plan to move into middle managment at the parks, you really dont start at the parks for Managment, many transfer from other parts of the country.
#4) None of the "battle front" jobs are designed to be filled by someone looking to support a family, or create a career out of it. (Think about it, when you were 16, would you picture yourself working at Chuck E. Cheese at 42 with a family?)
#6) Orlando is a tourist town...plain and simple.
#7) It's Florida, no matter were you go it's not gonna be the best weather...if you hate humidity try Alaska.

I agree! (and I don´t really mind Orlando´s weather...hehe..pretty much my own). In terms of being a tourist place, the same thing happens in Cancun -it was built as a tourist resort and the hotel zone is beautiful, but the rest of the city -what the tourists don´t see- is not pretty.

I have only met one person who went from an entry level position to a high ranking one. The Guest Relations Manager in Epcot started as a ticket taker when she was very young (she is in her late 40´s now I think). She is also responsible for the International Programs office, but I think her case is really amazing and I don´t think it happens that often.

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom