Work Could Start Soon at Shanghai Disneyland

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
According to China Daily, the Shanghai Disneyland project will receive land appropriated to it in July. The report goes on to say that 97% of the approximate 2,000 households and 300 companies have been relocated to make way for the new Disney resort. The report quotes the district’s head who suggests the project will take 5 or 6 years to complete, which would go past the anticipated 2014 opening for the newest theme park.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Crazy Harry

So, is it strange that we have no word yet what attractions are going to be in this park? Have no substantial plans leaked? I mean, they must have a plan if the project got the green light by the Chinese government.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
So, is it strange that we have no word yet what attractions are going to be in this park? Have no substantial plans leaked? I mean, they must have a plan if the project got the green light by the Chinese government.

Actually in his recent podcast Jim Hill alluded to the fact that Marvel may play a larger part in the Shanghai park. So the exact plans may still be under development.....

aarenlainey

This park is going to be bigger and better. I look foward to it’s completion. I’m glad Disney can grab the opportunity to expand its business in mainland China. I believe most Chinese children, even adults, will love the wonderland made by Disney. We all like to see Disney spread out bring more happiness to the World.

As per the recent shareholder's conference call, though the deal with the central Chinese government is approved, they have yet to sign a specific deal with the local Shanghai government.

Expect the foot dragging to continue and the parks opening date to slowly fall back.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
More support work to start soon.

Shanghai Shentong Metro Group, the outfit that oversees all subway companies in the city, publicly opened bidding Tuesday for a new subway project to link Shanghai Disneyland with the Line 11 subway.

The new subway track is projected to cover a length of more than 9 kilometers, and the subway stop for Shanghai Disneyland will likely be some three stations away from Luoshan Road station on the Line 11 subway.

The subway route to Shanghai Disneyland is expected to be complete by 2012.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
According to the Digital Journal the project is now ahead of schedule:

"Disneyland Shanghai will be in the Pudong area of the city, and the Shanghai Daily reports the Pudong New Area government has almost completed the relocation of residents from the 3.9 square kilometre area, a month ahead of schedule. The land for the theme park is due to be handed over at the end of June when construction will begin.
The first phase of the theme-park project has been estimated to cost about 25 billion yuan (US$3.66 billion). The Chinese have made a habit in recent years of building large infrastructure projects at breakneck speed, but Pudong New Area Director Jiang Liang told the Shanghai Daily it may take five or six years for the park to be opened to the public".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom