Wondering about guests with diabetes

lisaloowho

Original Poster
I am wondering how other diabetics deal with all the temptation in Disney. I am being realistic and I know I will not be a total angel.
I am just hoping all the walking will help my numbers stay resonable when I induldge.
I am on a low carb diet, since I was diagnosed three months ago I have lost 13 lbs and lowered my numbers considerably. I am hoping that by the time I go in December I will be very fit and maybe diabetes free.
I still intend on maintaining my new lifestyle even if I kick the diabetes, when you order food do you get a choice of healthy alternatives for sides or do you have to take the sides they give you?
Thanks, Lisa

Darren200473

I am a diabetic myself on on my past 2 trips to disney my sugar levels have never been so good. I am from the UK so i'm not used to the heat but with all the walking about i was burning off food as quickly as i was taking it in.

You may have to play about with your insulin a little, i actually reduced mine and ate more than i normally do and my sugar levels were fairly balanced for the entire trip. You will do far more exercise during your stay then u ever will on your normal daily routine.

Also, if u know that you are going to be tempted and you are having a lazy day you an always increase your insulin a little to compensate. Just be careful and dont go crazy!!

You will be amazed but I actually lost weight over a 2 week break in Disneyworld... Just over 60 days to go until my next weightloss holiday!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
You can never "kick" diabetes, it is a progressive, lifelong disease.

That said, if you are maintaining your diet and controlling your levels there's no reason you can't have a great time at WDW. Just pay attention and avoid temptation as much as you can. I would recommend discussing with your doctor what you can and can't "get away with" rather than guessing. Also make sure you understand the symptoms that may indicate you've indulged too much.

Diabetes is going to be an issue for the rest of your life, but it doesn't mean you have to stop having fun. It does mean being careful.

Good to hear you're making progress and I hope you have a wonderful vacation! :wave:

Darren200473

i never thought about something, are you type 1 or type 2.. I am type1 and totally insulin dependant. While that may be the most life controlling form of diabeties, with careful insulin control it can be the most flexible.

You could ask your doctor but u will know your body and your levels more than most. But if you have only been diabtic for 3 months some of what i have said may noy apply, I have been sticking needles into myself for just over 20 years now so i can pretty much tell what my level are without actually testing myself.

Type 2 is a different matter, your control will be more diet based so a slightly different approach may be needed.

But you will have fun whatever you do.

Disclaimer : I am not a doctor and dont want a lawsuit for killing you while you are having the best time of your life. Just giving some realistic advice.

DougK

Add me to the list of people who need to adjust their insulin DOWN when I visit WDW. This is simply because I walk so much there. If I walked as much here at home I would need less insulin every day. Maybe if someone builds a Spaceship Earth 1/2 mile from my house I will do more walking!

Anyway, have fun at the World and check your sugar regularly, you will be surprised at how many carbs you can eat when you walk all the time!

lisaloowho

Original Poster
I have type 2 but have a very long family history of both types. My doc said that sometimes after a person gets their weight under control some people show no signs of diabetes.
I had to take insulin when I was pregnant 8 yrs ago because of gestational diabetes so I know what a pain sticking yourself can be. I am lucky that I am diet controlled. I also take Metformin and Glimeperide for now but that may change because the Glimeperide has been making my levels super low.
Thanks so much! I really appreciate this. :)

PaisleyMF

I am Diabetic, and I worked on Disney, that said, I always have my test and (in my case) Pills (you never know how long you will be there)

There is plenty of walking and exercise. Make sure you have plenty of water and snacks that you feel comfortable eating (my case granola bars).

If you will be eating at any of the restaurants make sure that you contact them with no less than 24 hours in advance that you have a diabetic in your group.

Places like Casey's Corner or other have some items that are low sugar or no sugar added (love the brownies at Casey's)

Other than that Have fun!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Thank you for the link. :) It has a bunch of great info! I am suprised that Disney does not have nutritional info for everything, after counting carbs for 3 months I am pretty good at guessing though.
Actually, i'm pretty sure every restaurant and counter has detailed nutritional info available if you ask. Also, as was mentioned, if you call ahead to restaurants you're going to, they will prepare meals to meet your dietary needs.

I am a Type 1 diabetic and just got back. I need to be extra careful at Disney because I have a tendency to go low very quickly,especially with all the walking. My meal plan goes right out the window and I am able to eat almost every thing within reason, Even ice cream. You must check your glucose at least 4-5 times a day to know where you are. Always keep something with sugar with you especially at night in the hotel. I fill up my mug with Coke and just dump it the next morning if I don't need it. It is the only vacation where I don't have to monitor every drop of food :sohappy: If you are type 2, and newly diagnosed keep a log of what you eat and what your readings are to help spot a trend. You may need more or less to eat. Just watching the amount of fat from dressings or the sauces will help. Most places will put on the side when they know.

Phonedave

While not diabetic, I am pre-diabetic. in other words I have to watch my BG levels or else someday I WILL be diabetic.

I don't know what your particular situation is, but as long as I watch my carbs, and make sure that I get a good blend of fats and protiens, all is good.

That means, not eating fries, avoiding sweets, go light on the bread, and fill up on lean meats and veggies.

I am thinking the turkey leg is my new best friend :)

-dave

Phonedave

I have type 2 but have a very long family history of both types. My doc said that sometimes after a person gets their weight under control some people show no signs of diabetes.
I had to take insulin when I was pregnant 8 yrs ago because of gestational diabetes so I know what a pain sticking yourself can be. I am lucky that I am diet controlled. I also take Metformin and Glimeperide for now but that may change because the Glimeperide has been making my levels super low.
Thanks so much! I really appreciate this. :)

I used to have high-ish fasting BG levels (120 or so)

Diet and weight loss helped a LOT. I was not horribly overweight (6' 4" 228) to begin with, but have dropped about 25 lbs off of that and am a lot more fit.

My fasting BG levels are now in the 85 - 95 range on a regular basis.

It seems my insulin response is somwhat slow, so rather than burn out my beta cells and become diabetic later in life, I take care of myself now.

I also think I have the dawn phenomona (I was going to bed with a BG of 90, and waking up with one of 120, without eating). But again, diet has taken care of that.

You can make some good choices in WDW and still enjoy yourself. While I cannot give you medical advice, and nor should you take what I say as medical advice, I will tell you what works for me.

It simply comes down to making smart choices. I eat SOME carbs every day. So if I have a craving for pasta for example, I have a small amount. Then the rest of the day its fish/chicken/vegetables. There are plenty of choices available, especialy if you are just looking to keep carb intake low, as opposed to eliminating it entirely. Just no Kitchen Sinks :)

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom