Woman says she felt fat-shamed at Islands of Adventure ride

lebeau

I've never said a word about the demographics of the parks. Just their ride design and ability to accommodate guests, which Universal isn't as good at.

Because the Disney base consists largely of families with young children, their focus is on a different kind of attraction that accommodates a broader range of guests. It is the exception rather than the rule. If you go to almost any non-Disney park in America, you will find these kinds of restrictions are quite common. So it makes no sense to judge Universal by Disney's very specific criteria. They are not the same and you should stop expecting them to be.

21stamps

I've never said a word about the demographics of the parks. Just their ride design and ability to accommodate guests, which Universal isn't as good at.

It was absolutely filthy when I was there last. I don't have an "agenda", as I quite like Universal, but they could pick up some trash and paint things once in awhile.

Because of Universal’s appeal to the more thrill seeking guests, it makes sense why their rides are different.
It’s actually a lot more common at parks than you think, Disney is just- Disney.

5948119F-6EE1-4E0B-AD96-68A717DA6D50.png

Cedar Point has 19 Rides that may not accommodate larger guests, due to the restraints. This is how the restraints are designed, and needed for safety. Similar to height requirements.

E29EF638-7A9B-4E30-B79F-6512A43565F5.png

Last edited:

Otterhead

So it makes no sense to judge Universal by Disney's very specific criteria.
Um. I'm specifically talking about a ride at Universal that caters more towards young kids than adults.
And you're saying that most people at Universal are older teens and adults.
So... thank you for making my argument for me.

21stamps

Um. I'm specifically talking about a ride at Universal that caters more towards young kids than adults.

It’s a 48” height requirement.. that’s why it’s not as comparable to Disney. I think Disney only has 2 48” rides, and both are easier to design with larger guests in mind.

Actually, I checked out of curiosity, it sounds like larger people may have problems on Rockin’ Rollercoaster

C836082D-3044-4163-B485-CF72D7FFE032.png

lebeau

fv585b2632.jpg

It seems like your only point is that you prefer Disney to Universal.

If your point is that Universal has more rider restrictions than Disney, we all already knew that. So does just about every non-Disney park in America.

If your point is that Universal should be more like Disney, well, that's a matter of opinion. I personally prefer being able to have a different experience at each resort rather than forcing Universal to be something it isn't.

You have ignored every argument everyone here has made while backing up your own assertions with... feelings?

JT3000

Different demographics = different types of rides

Different types of rides = different restrictions on accommodations

Was it really so difficult to connect those dots?

It was absolutely filthy when I was there last. I don't have an "agenda", as I quite like Universal, but they could pick up some trash and paint things once in awhile.

1397.gif

No, you're not. It's a thrill ride.

It’s a 48” height requirement.. that’s why it’s not as comparable to Disney. I think Disney only has 2 48” rides, and both are easier to design with larger guests in mind.

Actually, I checked out of curiosity, it sounds like larger people may have problems on Rockin’ Rollercoaster

Larger guests? You can forget riding that thing comfortably even if you just have somewhat broad shoulders. Having one of my arms pinned against the side of a ride vehicle isn't my idea of a good time.

Last edited:

raven

Exactly, that's just what I was saying. Once I rode it, I realized why it had such strict limits. It's just a shame they didn't figure out a way to make the ride accessible to people over, say, 250 lbs.
I know people who weigh over 250 lbs who had no problem enjoying Forbidden Journeys. Just saying.
Many guests that weigh over 250 lbs. ride FJ. I’ve seen several over 300 lbs. ride it as well. Again, it’s not about weight, it’s about shape.
Do you know that Forbidden Journey has a completely separate (hidden) loading platform where ride vehicles stop to load handicap guests that cannot walk into the primary moving walkway load area? It runs parallel to the main platform. Wheelchairs can pull up right next to the vehicle to making it easier to load into and guests can take their time and not rush. Meanwhile the rest of the guests on the ride keep moving, unaffected and unaware this even happens. The vehicle then dispatches into the designated gaps in the system and those guests experience the exact same ride as guests that loaded on the main platform. This load area, and hallways leading to it, are completely themed, music and all. Universal didn’t have to design this extra platform at all but they went out of their way to build it.

How’s that for accommodating guests?

KBLovedDisney

You just described me, perfectly. I complain about my weight gain daily, and then I eat a donut at the office. Because....they're there, so I mean, I have to.:cautious:
They make bad food taste soooo good that give off instant satisfaction and are easily obtainable or in other words cheaply manufactured and sold for dirt cheap. And yet, the food that is actually good for you doesn't give you that instant satisfaction and is more expensive and requires more work input.

It's twisted. It really is.

KBLovedDisney

Because of Universal’s appeal to the more thrill seeking guests, it makes sense why their rides are different.
It’s actually a lot more common at parks than you think, Disney is just- Disney.

View attachment 272626

Cedar Point has 19 Rides that may not accommodate larger guests, due to the restraints. This is how the restraints are designed, and needed for safety. Similar to height requirements.

View attachment 272627
I was at Six Flags once about to get on the Superman roller coaster (the one where the restraint holds you in place because it is a flight design coaster), and this person in front of me was trying their darndest to get on but the restraints wouldn't lock in place....well...because.

They put those warnings and restrictions out there for the individual's and others safety, not to embarrass. It's up to the individual whether or not to follow said instructions and warnings. It is totally on that individual when they don't follow through, but alas they instead end up blaming the parks ride design....and that opens up a whole other can of worms.

jloucks

One of the many reasons I don't gain any more weight (as in, throttle back on the chow) is so that I can fit on all of the rides and attractions. Many rides have a maximum gut jut that they can handle. The Six Flags Superman drop ride (not really a roller coaster) is once such ride. There are many others. The death at Six Flags on The Texas Giant not too long ago was because a woman exuded out of her seat because she was insecurely locked down, likely because of ample girth.

Some rides, the max gut jut sets the restraining bar minimum range. That is a huge problem, that I think most modern rides have addressed.

KBLovedDisney

One of the many reasons I don't gain any more weight (as in, throttle back on the chow) is so that I can fit on all of the rides and attractions.
Theme parks rides, daily energy, and most importantly, I don't want to get sick due to something that could have been avoided just by eating healthier...

I have so many issues (much of which is cancer) that runs rampant in my family because they don't take care of themselves (not to mention many early deaths :()

jloucks

Theme parks rides, daily energy, and most importantly, I don't want to get sick due to something that could have been avoided just by eating healthier...

I have so many issues (much of which is cancer) that runs rampant in my family because they don't take care of themselves (not to mention many early deaths :()

There is that too. That is an unfortunate motivator. :(

For me, steaks, and soda constantly are what I miss most. Stamina ("daily energy") is probably my primary motivator. As in, keeping complete, if not advanced, mobility. I like to walk 14 hours straight when out at attractions, and I am at the limit of weight to do so.

GSP Guy

I know people who weigh over 250 lbs who had no problem enjoying Forbidden Journeys. Just saying.
Yeah I'm right at the 6'0 250 lb. numbers and I rode every "non-kiddie" ride at the Universal parks. Rip Ride Rocket was a bit snug for sure but that was the only time it was even slightly uncomfortable but certainly not enough to ruin the enjoyment. Plus I had a hernia so if not for that probably wouldn't have noticed it at all.

mickeysaver

I am fat and so is my friend that I toured the parks with this past week. Neither of us felt fat shamed. We were unable to ride several of the rides, but no one made either of us feel bad about it. The cast members/employees there were nothing, but incredibly nice and apologetic about it, which I thought was nice, but unnecessary, because we both are realistic about the limitations of our current sizes. At one ride, we each were actually given a pass that could be exchanged for an express pass, snack or drink, or on piece of merchandise up to $50 in value from several select stores the Marvel themed area. So, thanks Universal/IoA for the Black Panther Tervis Tumbler!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom