Woman says she felt fat-shamed at Islands of Adventure ride

lazyboy97o

Am I missing something by not watching the video? I don’t see any derogatory comments and it sounds like the operators thought she would fit just fine.

JT3000

Am I missing something by not watching the video? I don’t see any derogatory comments and it sounds like the operators thought she would fit just fine.

It's basically the same as the article (except you can actually hear the typical accusatory tone of the anchors.) The ride attendant apparently thought she would fit, but she didn't want to embarrass herself or make others uncomfortable. In other words, she fat shamed herself and then decided to blame others for her own insecurities. It's certainly possible she would have made someone uncomfortable if they were squished, but that would be her fault, not the park's. They also mentioned that she thinks overweight people should be a "protected class." She's so entitled.

OG Runner

Cool, if this is all it takes to accuse someone of fat-shaming, I have a lot of women I need to accuse, and they
did use derogatory language. :D

Weather_Lady

While it doesn't seem like her request was unreasonable (don't you think that if it was the person squished beside her who asked to be moved, the employees would have done it?), the attendant had every right to refuse. In fact, by refusing, the attendant was doing the opposite of "fat-shaming": they were tacitly implying that this woman was of sufficiently normal size that she didn't need to take up two seats.

This lady is just another person trying to make a mountain out of mole hill...

Last edited:

lebeau

It's basically the same as the article (except you can actually hear the typical accusatory tone of the anchors.) The ride attendant apparently thought she would fit, but she didn't want to embarrass herself or make others uncomfortable. In other words, she fat shamed herself and then decided to blame others for her own insecurities. It's certainly possible she would have made someone uncomfortable if they were squished, but that would be her fault, not the park's. They also mentioned that she thinks overweight people should be a "protected class." She's so entitled.

The anchors are laying it on pretty thick at the end. Good gravy! She's not even that big. How on earth does she end up on the news? If I were mortified about something, I wouldn't seek out the local news for coverage.

She wasn't denied anything but special treatment. And there's no indication anyone involved was anything but nice to her. They even offered her a $100 gift certificate, dinner and a movie. I'd say they bent over backwards to make this woman happy.

OG Runner

You wonder, at this point, if the "gifts", might not have been what she was looking for to begin with. So many
organizations are so focused on being politically correct that they overreact when the do not think they are being
seen that way. Maybe this person found a way to take advantage of that.

Jedi Stitch

She said she couldn't fit into any of the Harry Potter rides? Um, ok I guess I can take her word on that? She asked for her own row, the first time around, and the next guy in line didn't have a problem waiting on the next tram. She goes again, and she is told no, fill the seats, and she feals offended? Did, I miss something in the video? I think she fatshamed herself. I have seen bigger people than her ride those rides, so I can't figure out where the park was in the wrong.

The Mom

Premium Member
She said she couldn't fit into any of the Harry Potter rides? Um, ok I guess I can take her word on that? She asked for her own row, the first time around, and the next guy in line didn't have a problem waiting on the next tram. She goes again, and she is told no, fill the seats, and she feals offended? Did, I miss something in the video? I think she fatshamed herself. I have seen bigger people than her ride those rides, so I can't figure out where the park was in the wrong.

Apparently, the ride bench is designed to hold 4 passengers. She wanted to ride with her two daughters, who are also not petite (there is a photo), and felt that a 4th person would be uncomfortable.

Jedi Stitch

Apparently, the ride bench is designed to hold 4 passengers. She wanted to ride with her two daughters, who are also not petite (there is a photo), and felt that a 4th person would be uncomfortable.
I could see her issue, but I spent as plenty rides going Single rider, having to ride with big people. Seams to me that she was more uncomfortable than the 4th person.

JT3000

The Potter rides I can believe she had trouble with, as Universal tends to use restraints that aren't large-people-friendly. But it was Kong where she refused to fill the row, and there's no restraints of any sort there. It was solely her own mass and her insecurities about it that caused the problem.

Of course, all of this could have been avoided had she already gone on a ride known as The Treadmill.

lebeau

You wonder, at this point, if the "gifts", might not have been what she was looking for to begin with. So many
organizations are so focused on being politically correct that they overreact when the do not think they are being
seen that way. Maybe this person found a way to take advantage of that.

She turned down the gifts, so I would say she's looking for something a little more. Either publicity or a settlement.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
She turned down the gifts, so I would say she's looking for something a little more. Either publicity or a settlement.
82733-why-not-both-meme-5LvD.jpeg

macefamily

I'm telling you, as a fat guy, that I do get intimidated when getting on certain rides. The Hulk, Harry Potter, and the old Dueling Dragons are the worst for overweight people like myself.
They actually now test you before getting onto Forbidden Journey. I've never had any problems with not being able to buckle in, but I had a thick winter vest on in December and they told me to take it off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom