Woman Says Disney Fired Her After Taking Time To Grieve Husband's Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercy

Original Poster
As reported by WFTV, Orlando ABC affiliate:

http://www.wftv.com/news/15902333/detail.html

I'm relieved that WDW is in the process of rectifying the situation, but I can't get over that she had been a full-time CM for 8 years and only brought home $300/week? :eek: $1200/month doesn't even cover rent in Pine Hills!

TOTGuy

As reported by WFTV, Orlando ABC affiliate:

http://www.wftv.com/news/15902333/detail.html

I'm relieved that WDW is in the process of rectifying the situation, but I can't get over that she had been a full-time CM for 8 years and only brought home $300/week? :eek: $1200/month doesn't even cover rent in Pine Hills!
Sadly us CMs do not get paid a lot. I chock it up to the fact Disney keeps it low on purpose, that way the people who work there do it because they want to, not because it pays well. Be kind to your CMs, I often work 70+ hours a week but because I love it...

grunter

I don't know. I would think that if Disney paid its cast members well, there would be more incentive for those cast members to "work their magic" and enhance the Disney theme park experience.

Mercy

Original Poster
Sadly us CMs do not get paid a lot. I chock it up to the fact Disney keeps it low on purpose, that way the people who work there do it because they want to, not because it pays well. Be kind to your CMs, I often work 70+ hours a week but because I love it...

That is sweet TOTGuy!
I considered being a CM when I graduated school, but WDW was hiring for less than $1 over minimum wage and there was no way I could afford rent, food, and the gas to drive back and forth. I guess things haven't changed much.

Lee

Adventurer
Sadly us CMs do not get paid a lot. I chock it up to the fact Disney keeps it low on purpose, that way the people who work there do it because they want to, not because it pays well.

Nope. They do it because they can. Simple as that. Why pay more if people will work for less? That's how they see it.
Nevermind the simple logic that if they paid more they would get and keep a better level of CM. They seem to overlook that.

wannab@dis

I'm sorry for her loss...

Nope. They do it because they can. Simple as that. Why pay more if people will work for less? That's how they see it.
Nevermind the simple logic that if they paid more they would get and keep a better level of CM. They seem to overlook that.

Where would they get those "better level of CM" from? The employment levels show there's just not a lot of GOOD people left out there to employ. Plus, how much more should they pay? $1/hr, $2/hr? Also, what's the regional averages?

Simple math... 50,000 employees. Give them $1/hr raise. That's an additional $104 MILLION per year. That's several dollars per ticket increase to cover.

But, let's be realistic. The $300 is probably take home. If so, it's closer to $400/wk paycheck before taxes/benefits/ins/etc. That's about $10/hr for custodial for 40 hours per week. That does not seem outside the norm.

coasterphil

I'm sorry for her loss...

Where would they get those "better level of CM" from? The employment levels show there's just not a lot of GOOD people left out there to employ. Plus, how much more should they pay? $1/hr, $2/hr? Also, what's the regional averages?

Simple math... 50,000 employees. Give them $1/hr raise. That's an additional $104 MILLION per year. That's several dollars per ticket increase to cover.

But, let's be realistic. The $300 is probably take home. If so, it's closer to $400/wk paycheck before taxes/benefits/ins/etc. That's about $10/hr for custodial for 40 hours per week. That does not seem outside the norm.

Except she was working 3rd shift and had 8 years of seniority, which means that the approximately $10 an hour she was getting paid is a lot more than your average CM gets.

HeySuburbia

The offer for one week of back pay seems a bit insulting.

Then again, the article doesn't mention any other factors (such as her prior disciplinary record, the amount of benefit time she had and used, and the way other similarly situated employees were treated) that could further justify her termination. Also, so long as Disney acted within the limits of the collective bargaining agreement, an arbitrator would be hard pressed to order her reinstated, let alone with any backpay.

Hopefully this will get settled, and she will receive a substantial amount of her lost wages.

wdwmomof3

Wow, I had no idea that they paid people so poorly. I can't believe that after 8 years she only made 300.00 a week. I feel so sorry for her about her husband, and her pay. :(

When she does go back to work, it is still going to be hard for her since they worked together and everything. Bless her heart.

psuchad

She took all her vacation time PLUS 30 days. Where I work we get 3 days for the death of a spouse. That's 3 not 3-0.

Wakkie Nu Nu

Yeah... along the lines of what PSUChad said... Where I worked the last several years, that was the standard; you get THREE days bereavement max. If you happen to have vacation time (that you can actually get approved), you can possibly use that, but that's it. It's a terribly sad situation, but it seems hardly unfamiliar to me.

Yikes that is one sad story.

It seems like disney told her to take all the time she needed so she did. If she was starting to take too much time they should have just told her. Not let her come back for a day then fire her.

jakeman

Yep, I get 3 days as well, plus any vacation time I may have or that other people are wiling to donate in certain circumtances.

We are allowed leave without pay.

I didn't read the article, nor do I think any of us have all the facts to say who is in the right or the wrong.

As tragic as the situation is the rules of the work place either need to be bent with authority from very high up, or followed to letter.

lpet11984

Yeah... along the lines of what PSUChad said... Where I worked the last several years, that was the standard; you get THREE days bereavement max. If you happen to have vacation time (that you can actually get approved), you can possibly use that, but that's it. It's a terribly sad situation, but it seems hardly unfamiliar to me.

I agree with you, it's unfortunately all too familiar. It's just sad that Disney told her to take as long as she needed and then turn around and do something different...seems to me the real issue is that there was no deadline established prior to this situation. "Taking as long as you need" is just too ambiguous.

Either way, firing her the day she returns seems pretty tactless. Bad form.

llrain

Im sure, as myself, if Disney did pay wage that would allow one to
live comfortably there would be those "better level" people coming out.
Most of those better level people are prob in positions like myself dreaming
that one day maybe disney will up its wages so that we can leave our talent here and come work down there....
We are here, Im ready to work there....we have talents to bring a huge level to disney...but thats whats keeping us back, at least me...the pay...
The good people dont have to be unemployed to get a job there...I would leave here ina heartbeat to live out my dream , again , only if they paid more.
Dont let statistics rule this....
we are the good people who are currently employed and would do it.

wannab@dis

Im sure, as myself, if Disney did pay wage that would allow one to
live comfortably there would be those "better level" people coming out.
Most of those better level people are prob in positions like myself dreaming
that one day maybe disney will up its wages so that we can leave our talent here and come work down there....
We are here, Im ready to work there....we have talents to bring a huge level to disney...but thats whats keeping us back, at least me...the pay...
The good people dont have to be unemployed to get a job there...I would leave here ina heartbeat to live out my dream , again , only if they paid more.
Dont let statistics rule this....
we are the good people who are currently employed and would do it.
Fair enough...

So, what do you think would be the pay necessary for you to make that move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom