Woman Charged in Disney Vacation Scam

Thessair

Original Poster
I didn't see a thread on this after several search variations, so if it's a duplicate I apologize. Also, if it's the wrong section feel free to publicly humiliate me. :D

MIAMI - A Miami woman is accused of swindling families out of $25,000 worth of Disney vacations.

Nancy Alvarez posted bond Thursday and was released after her arrest on grand theft charges this week. Her lawyer declined to issue an immediate comment.

The 20-year-old Alvarez is accused of stealing more than $25,000 from a dozen victims out of state.

Detectives say the victims include a retired New York police officer living in Canada and a Texas father who paid for his family to visit the park for his 25th wedding anniversary.

Orlando Sentinel Article

DisneyJoe

or at least do some research!

"The $1,200 deal -- which included airfare, seven nights at Disney's Polynesian Resort, park entrances, free meals and a rental car for a family of four -- was pure fantasy. So was the offer for a limo ride to a romantic restaurant and spa treatment for his wife."

shoppingnut

Book your own vacations my friends. It's pretty easy.

Or at least use someone that has been recommended by a friend or family who they've used before. I use Kingdom Konsultants all the time and am very happy to let them get on the phone to get my ressie, so I don't have to deal with the uneducated people on disney's phone lines.

Philo

People who do this make me sick. What kind of right or justification do they have for hurting people!

Well I'm glad she's been caught. I feel sorry for the families though, they probably won't get much, if anything in the way of compensation. Yes, they should have done a little more research but they are not the first people to be drawn into scams and certainly won't be the last.

jhastings74

so I don't have to deal with the uneducated people on disney's phone lines.

Eeeeee.......not the best generalized statement......

I'm sorry to hear that you've had bad experiences with them....they've always been fantastic with us. And I know many who do/have worked Reservations...they are far from 'uneducated'....

(*steps off soapbox, puts it in trunk, and drives away...*)

DisneyJoe

so I don't have to deal with the uneducated people on disney's phone lines.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had bad experiences with them....they've always been fantastic with us. And I know many who do/have worked Reservations...they are far from 'uneducated'....

I think a better term would be "inconsistent".

RiversideBunny

...Aren't you being a little harsh? :lol:

Dude, she cheated people out of their WDW money.

It's not like she just stole grandma's social security check or her grocery money or the money for her medicine. Or took money out of the collection plate at church.

This was WDW money.

:lol:

MGMBoy

Dude, she cheated people out of their WDW money.

It's not like she just stole grandma's social security check or her grocery money or the money for her medicine. Or took money out of the collection plate at church.

This was WDW money.

:lol:

Maybe if that $25,000 HAD gone to the Mouse then we'd actually get a REAL SM refurb...And a working Yeti...And Beastly Kingdom...And a fifth gate! :hammer:

shoppingnut

(*steps off soapbox, puts it in trunk, and drives away...*)

I've had way too many bad experiences with the travel people on the disney phone lines. Some were so bad that I would tell them I had to go and hang up and call again so I would hopefully get someone who had a clue. And, yes, uneducated in what they were selling, they would tell me things that I knew were incorrect. If you are going to sell a disney vacation, then you should know what you are selling and if you don't, don't make something up to appease someone on the phone line, because that just makes my angry.

Thessair

Original Poster
what a shame, to think anyone would do something like this. does anyone have a link to the full article?

I've checked around on a couple of news sites and that seems to be the copy they all have at the moment. If there's more info out there, I'd love to see it too.

MGMBoy

I've had way too many bad experiences with the travel people on the disney phone lines. Some were so bad that I would tell them I had to go and hang up and call again so I would hopefully get someone who had a clue. And, yes, uneducated in what they were selling, they would tell me things that I knew were incorrect. If you are going to sell a disney vacation, then you should know what you are selling and if you don't, don't make something up to appease someone on the phone line, because that just makes my angry.

Sadly...No worse then any other call center (still better then if it were overseas). I've done the same thing with other call centers (the pretend to have to go thing). I know at least a few people who work at the call center and I know they'd bend over backward for a caller. Unfortunately I'm sure there are also those who are the opposite. :( I've also heard of call center people making claims and promises that they're unable to keep. Just don't think lumping the hundreds of them into one big heading is unfair.

CAPTAIN HOOK

While a few are clever enough to thinks of these scams, hundreds are dumb enough to fall for them. And so, on goes the world..........

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom