Woman airlifted to ORMC after riding Mission: Space

napnet

Original Poster
A 35-year-old woman fell and lost consciousness after getting off Mission: Space at Epcot on Monday night.

The woman, who was described only as a "local," was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center by the hospital's helicopter.

About 8:30 p.m., she was getting off the ride when she "fell from a standing position," hit her head and was briefly unconscious, said Deputy Chief Bo Jones of the Reedy Creek Fire Department.

By the time rescue-crew members arrived, the woman had regained consciousness but was not completely alert and reported tingling in her arms and hands, Jones said.

To get her to the hospital quickly, an ORMC helicopter landed in a backstage area of Epcot.

She was taken in "stable, improving condition," Jones said, adding that rescue workers reported she had become more alert and had more sensation in her arms and hands as she was being taken to the hospital.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-bk-disneyride06jul10,0,3512416.story?track=rss

It sounds like a lot of damage might be caused from her hitting her head after falling. Obviously she was dizzy or something from the ride, but I think the ride is going to be blamed more than it should.

dxwwf3

imagineer boy said:
Yeah Disney, the calmer M:S centrifuge sure has helped. :rolleyes:

It's not Disney's fault. I actually think M:S Green is a great idea and hopefully people that aren't up for Orange use it. But anything can happen anywhere and the ride might not have had anything to do with it.

Raptorsr

lets not be to hasty to judge here my grandmother just died from brain cancer 1.5 months after haveing a big fall. No diagnosis before the fall and nothing led her to fall she just did. So the spinning or extra sensory stimulase could have caused something so lets just wait and see what happened please. Still wouldnt be mission space's fault just something that there wouldnt be a way to find out except an mri. I hope they give here one and would expect one.

DisneyGal126

How terrible! I hope that the woman is doing better.

Maybe as one of the rooms you pass through to get to the ride should be a doctors office and you get a physical to make sure you can handle space flight like real astronuts :lol:

Honestly though, I did the less intense version of the ride and I must say, it was no different from Star Tours as in how jerky it was, and it was still a lot of fun.

iellis

Hey

Man "and women" I just found that out not to long ago, but do you think they are going to shut down the ride?:lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

iellis said:
Man "and women" I just found that out not to long ago, but do you think they are going to shut down the ride?:lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

Doesn't sound like they did. I wouldn't think so. And she hit her head outside M:S, so it doesn't seem like nothing went wrong with the attraction.

ps- stingrock23...I'm lovin the cowbell stuff lol

ps again-- 300th post hey hey hey

BadTigger

Now the medi-vac the people out? At least she didn't go to Celebration Hospital. ANd I'm sure she will do just fine probally got a little dizzy like most do and just fell and hit her head.

jmvd20

One of the Discovery style channels has had a special about the physical effects of rides. Part of the research found that people who are afraid or nervous of a ride have much greater physical strains on their bodies than those that are not afraid, nervous etc... Based on that, part of the stress on your body during a ride can be influenced by your brains perception of it, even prior to riding.

I just wonder if all the news about this ride is having an effect on people that way. Yes the ride is more intense than many but it just doesn't seem to me like it should effect as many people as it does.

Maybe all of the warnings are the problem with the ride :lookaroun

Yen_Sid1

should-be-BELLE said:
Doesn't sound like they did. I wouldn't think so. And she hit her head outside M:S, so it doesn't seem like nothing went wrong with the attraction.

ps- stingrock23...I'm lovin the cowbell stuff lol

ps again-- 300th post hey hey hey

Actually she fell in the arcade area inside MS

ssidiouss@mac.c

napnet said:
I guess now they need a Mission: Space Purple that doesnt move at all :brick:

LOL!! Mission: Space Purple.. that doesn't move at all.. i love it!! :sohappy: :sohappy: Instead of a ride, they could make it a character greeting where you sit in your seat and astronauts come around for pictures and autographs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom