WL, AKL or POR?

BrookieD34

Original Poster
We are booked at WL for our 1st ever trip!! We are staying 11/28-12/6. I somehow missed the room only discounts when they were released & now WL is sold out. I could save a lot of money switching to either a RR at POR or a pool view room at AKL. Our kids are 8 & 4. We plan to spend 2 days at MK, 2 days at Epcot & 1 each at AK & DHS. Our ADR's are 1900 Park Fare, Ohana, Sci-Fi, Hoop Dee Doo Revue, Akershus, Biergarten & Crystal Palace. Will the convenience of WL outweigh the price? What would you do?

Foltzy

Have you given up your room yet?
Try calling disney and they might give you the difference. (I have heard this works. Not sure though.)

AKL is like wilderness lodge. Indoor hotel entries, really good theme. But transportation time is bad. Too long except to AK.

Port Orleans is where you enter from outside. Nice theme. French Quarter is nice quiet and seems empty. I've never stayed at Riverside but I know it's larger. Which means worse bus service.

The theme for WL and AKL are best for your kids. But Port Orleans is still really good.

Also the hotels have activities and I think movies on lawns.

Anyway, I would try getting the difference. Then it's your call.

In all of this I hope you have a really good first trip, you and your kids enjoy it. And it's magical.

BrookieD34

Original Poster
Have you given up your room yet?
Try calling disney and they might give you the difference. (I have heard this works. Not sure though.)

AKL is like wilderness lodge. Indoor hotel entries, really good theme. But transportation time is bad. Too long except to AK.

Port Orleans is where you enter from outside. Nice theme. French Quarter is nice quiet and seems empty. I've never stayed at Riverside but I know it's larger. Which means worse bus service.

The theme for WL and AKL are best for your kids. But Port Orleans is still really good.

Also the hotels have activities and I think movies on lawns.

Anyway, I would try getting the difference. Then it's your call.

In all of this I hope you have a really good first trip, you and your kids enjoy it. And it's magical.

No I haven't given up my room. I called last week to get the discount applied when I realized it was released. But, they told me they couldn't give it to me. I might need to call back & get someone else. I would love to stay at WL & I think the kids would love it too. But, they would probably love anywhere we stayed & I hate paying $350 a night for a room I'm not sure we'll be in very much. Lol.

FitzherbertFreak

I love all three of those hotels, and you will enjoy the atmosphere at any hotel you stay at. Personally, I prefer AKL. It is my favorite resort; plus it doesn't hurt to ask for a Savannah View upgrade when you get to the front desk (I've gotten the room for the same price as a standard room). I think AKL is especially great for kids because of all the Animals, and animal activities that they offer. However, if you're going to spend practically all of your time at the parks, I would choose POR simply because you save money, and although I love POR, there aren't as many activities and well, a "wow factor" as deluxe resorts.

Beiste1

All of those hotels are wonderful, but of them, my favorite it Port Orleans Riverside. No, it isn't a deluxe resort, but it's newly refurbished, and everyone is so friendly and accommodating. We have NEVER had a bad stay there, and we have stayed there 10+ times (guess you could say we are huge fans!) We love the fact that not only can you use the amenities from Riverside, you may also use them at Port Orleans French Quarter, which gives you 2 themed pools. It is also less expensive, even if you upgrade to a riverview or Princess Quarters. We have never had any problems with the bus transportation at Port Orleans or the boat transportation to Downtown Disney, which I guess will soon be known as Disney Springs. To me, Port Orleans feels like a home away from home.. very relaxing to get away from the park scene and just kick back and relax, whether you want to go to the pools, ride a bike, rent water craft, catch and release fish or just stroll the beautifully landscaped property. They also have entertainment in the lounge most nights which is family friendly. Piano Bob is so much fun for everyone! For my money, I would choose this resort. I really didn't find the other 2 any more convenient to the parks.
POR oct 2010 VI.jpg
P1010020.JPG

Beiste1

While you are there, make sure to check out the resort decorations... they are all themed to their respective resorts and absolutely gorgeous. We stayed at Disney 2 Christmases ago and spent the day after Christmas touring many of them. Definitely worth it! 1st is the Contemporary
155.JPG
Below is The Grand Floridian
134.JPG
Next is The Polynesian-- the fountain RIP
132.JPG
116.JPG
above is The Wildeness Lodge
113.JPG
Port Orleans Riverside
097.JPG
Me and the Hubby at DAK Lodge
151.JPG
Gingerbread House Grand Floridian
156.JPG
Polynesian
156.JPG

LaunchPadMcQuack

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices. POR is definitley great for the value. It has a great pool and a convenient boat to get to Downtown Disney.

I've visited the WL but never stayed there. Looks nice, the few times I wdnt there it felt a little quiet. There's a boat there that will take you to MK or Fort Wilderness where there are a ton of great activities.

DizneyPryncess

This is a tough call. Of those 3, WL would be my choice based on the location, theme & the holiday decorations. However, if I couldn't get the discount there, I might look elsewhere also. The discounts play a big role in our trips. POR RR's are really cute, our daughter loved it there. Your kids will probably really appreciate all the Princess touches, and the fireworks on the bed. The pool & activities here are also pretty fun for kids...they have a big playground, marshmallow roasting, tandem bikes, and a ferry to Downtown Disney.

AKL I've only dined at & visited, but have never stayed at. So I can't give a good opinion on what staying there would be like. But it's a beautiful resort. If you can get a discount there and not at WL, I understand wanting to check out the difference. :)

HouCuseChickie

As far as decorations go...WL's decorations are on par with AKL's as the resort lobbies have similar structural feels. Both have massive grand trees and similar base style decorations on the lobby. While I've never stayed at PORS, I have stayed at WL and AKL...I have stayed at WL during the holidays...and I've seen AKL during the holidays. Everyone has their own opinions, but I was not impressed with WL and have 0 desire to stay there again. Yes, it's closer to MK, but bus service - especially for early morning meals- was a nightmare when we stayed at WL and the boat was only helpful on MK days at night and break times for us. So, any location advantages were lost as a result. I know many people stay there without issue, but I felt the rooms were dark and like I said- the horrible bus service was a deal breaker for me. AKL is much farther and it is a longer bus ride, but we had no bus issues and I preferred the overall feel of the resort and our room. We also were booked in a pool view room, but during online checkin, we could request certain savannah views. So, we had a wonderful view of the animals each time we were back at our room.

bethymouse

If you can afford a deluxe, then stay at WL. You'll love it! WL and AKL have "similar" lobby layouts. If you love animals, and AK, then stay at AKL.
POR is a very nice moderate. The "hotel" has outside corridors, but a nice boat ride over to DTD. It sounds like though with your reservations, your best bet is WL. Have fun!:D

Epcot82Guy

I agree with everyone on the WL call, especially for a first trip. The atmosphere is just great.

If you do want to save some money, you might see if Disney will let you split your stay (since you will be there for awhile). You could do POR (which is also great) for the first few days - and then move over to Wilderness Lodge. So, build in an upgrade for yourselves. And, if you move on a day you are at MK - it would be easy for you to jump out of the park for a few minutes, hop the boat, check in and then go back to the park and/or go to your ADR location.

BrookieD34

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all the great responses! I'm convinced I should just keep the WL reservation. I think I'll just regret it if I don't, since that is where I originally wanted to be. I will continue to check & hopefully a discounted room will open up.

FitzherbertFreak

Thanks so much for all the great responses! I'm convinced I should just keep the WL reservation. I think I'll just regret it if I don't, since that is where I originally wanted to be. I will continue to check & hopefully a discounted room will open up.
You'll have a great trip to Disney; Wilderness Lodge is absolutely amazing! The atmosphere in the lobby is so amazing (I love the big fireplace). They have beautiful Christmas decorations! Also, the pool and beach area are both great. Though I love taking the boat from Wilderness Lodge to Magic Kingdom!

mickeysshoes

I think you have made the correct choice. You will love the WL and yes the Christmas decoration are top notch. I would keep trying for a discount and also when you call ask if you have a "PIN CODE" attached to your name. Always remember that when you call Disney they will NEVER offer up a discount but if you ask they will tell what if anything they can apply. Good luck! (we will be in WDW (Boardwalk Inn) Dec 5th - 9th and have ADR's for the Hoop Dee Doo on the 5th and will be around the WL before our dinner show!!!!)

I have stayed at WL before and it was in a good location and enjoyed the hotel it is also supposed to have really good holiday decorations. So overall I would go with WL or POR only because they have better locations as AKL is a good bus journey away from all of the parks apart from AK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom