With the rumored potter expansion complete by 2014...does universal become the #1 park for repeats?

CinematicFusion

Original Poster
I'm going to the parks christmas 2016 with my girls. They will be turning 6.
Rumors are the HP expansion will be amazing to already go with what I hear is an already amazing HP land. ( haven't seen it yet)

It's hard not to say Harry potter won't be the first park to visit while in Orlando. While you are there might as well see what else universal has to offer. Harry potter will have two major E tickets in a completely emmersive world. My wife and brother have to see it, have to admit I'm with them.
Never thought I would see a universal park first while planning a Disney trip.
Universal at the moment is beating Disney at the hype game.

After that, I'm sure my girls will love magic kingdom and animal kingdom. Those are two timeless parks and my family will want to see the new fantasyland.

After that...Epcot and DHS have a been there done that feel and would have to be at the bottom of the to do list. They are nice parks but they don't have that dangling carrot to pull a repeat audience back in once you have experienced it before.

Top three parks at the moment would have to be
1 magic kingdom
2 Harry potter universal
3 animal kingdom
4 & 5 Epcot and DHS

Disney needs to drop 1 billion on those parks to bring back excitement ( world showcase is fine in my opinion, it does what it needs to do. The rest of Epcot feels like, "Welcome to the future of 1983."

CinematicFusion

Original Poster
Epcot is been there done that??

Not a World showcase fan?

World showcase is fine...it's the rest of the park. World showcase does what it needs to do. It's fine the way it is.
But it's not a run to destination. My kids aren't going to be screaming to get to world showcase.

Last major ride was mission space in 03... Almost 10 years ago.
Soarin came to the park in 05.
They are refurbing test track but that needs to be done on older rides. That ride is almost 14 years old.

I'm just saying I've already seen ( many times) what Epcot has to offer. It has a been there done that feel. Feels dated. ( with the exception of world showcase... That has a timeless feel)

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
World showcase is fine...it's the rest of the park. World showcase does what it needs to do. It's fine the way it is.
But it's not a run to destination. My kids aren't going to be screaming to get to world showcase.

True i guess!
Stillwould be hard pushed to AK above Eocot though!

phi2134

I havent been to HP world at Universal, but I heard it is amazing. That being said, I believe that it is only currently an E-ticket plus an overlay of a land on top of older rethemed rides, (the Griffen ride and Dueling dragons). I still think that even with the additonal HP elements, Universal is still lagging behind Disney in many categories (number of rides, elements and overall experience). Who knows what will happen with the new addition to Potter land, but to me it just seems to me like they are plopping down these potter elements in an already cramped park with limited space.

I know the Gringott's ride they are putting in is rumored to be an amazing ride, but until Universal can step up their game a little more, I have to say that that all of Disney still has my vote.

The one thing I also think is a big difference between the two companies, is that with Disney they have a lot more room to create seperation between the lands and the themese. Yes...This is blended in some areas, but I dont think Universal has the capability to do this. In Disney you arent on top of Harry Potter and looking at a bazaar or another land at the same time as much...That being said, its just my point of view and I think I am biased, but the overal feel and offerings of Disney just suits me more.

Well, I read an article a few weeks ago of the top 10 theme parks worldwide. Disney took the top 8, with all four theme parks from Florida making the top 5-6 if I recall, the last two were Universal: 9-was Uni Japan and 10 was IOA but barely beating out Disney's California Adventure, which just got a major overhaul this year.

I see a lot of guests and have a lot of guests ask how to get to Universal just to see Harry Potter, but the few I see again when they are checking out agree that it looks great but is way too small and there's not enough things to do at Universal besides HPland to go again or even stay all day (recently had one guest say he considered both parks half day parks). So, who knows. I haven't been to Universal Studios since 2001 and everytime they get rid of attractions I liked and enjoyed, the less I wish to go back. And as far as IOA is concerned, personally, I can do two rides that don't infringe on either A-my fear of heights or B-the fact I wear a prosthetic (computerized leg + water = no more leg). That being said, I was NOT a fan of the HP ride. Waited 90+ minutes for it only to find out, halfway through the wait, that if a person wears a prosthetic they are not recommended to ride the ride. Seeing as I wasn't about to leave my group of friends and the locker situation was beyond terrible, I rode both freaking out and concerned for my leg.

In all, it's a nice theme and design but nothing I'm going to be going back to anytime soon.

CinematicFusion

Original Poster
True i guess!
Stillwould be hard pushed to AK above Eocot though!

My opinion Disney got AK right. The core themeing is outstanding. It just needs one or two more rides to make it a perfect park. Maybe one e ticket or 2 d ticket style family dark rides. A night time show like World of color would be a welcome addition. It's one of my favorite parks ever to just walk through.

If they do Pandora. It could give AK an all around experience and complete the thought the designers originally had with the park. Pandora fits with the themeing of the original beastly kingdom land.

Crush Dude!

My opinion Disney got AK right. The core themeing is outstanding. It just needs one or two more rides to make it a perfect park. Maybe one e ticket or 2 d ticket style family dark rides. A night time show like World of color would be a welcome addition. It's one of my favorite parks ever to just walk through.

If they do Pandora. It could give AK an all around experience and complete the thought the designers originally had with the park. Pandora fits with the themeing of the original beastly kingdom land.

You think so?
Pandora is blue aliens!

Now im not an Avatarland hater think it could be HUGE but it is nithing like the planned Beastly Kingdom

LudwigVonDrake

No matter how amazing Harry Potter is, Magic Kingdom will always be number one. Not to say that some other Disney parks get passed on the list especially if some things aren't upgraded/changed ;)

CinematicFusion

Original Poster
I havent been to HP world at Universal, but I heard it is amazing. That being said, I believe that it is only currently an E-ticket plus an overlay of a land on top of older rethemed rides, (the Griffen ride and Dueling dragons). I still think that even with the additonal HP elements, Universal is still lagging behind Disney in many categories (number of rides, elements and overall experience). Who knows what will happen with the new addition to Potter land, but to me it just seems to me like they are plopping down these potter elements in an already cramped park with limited space.

I know the Gringott's ride they are putting in is rumored to be an amazing ride, but until Universal can step up their game a little more, I have to say that that all of Disney still has my vote.

The one thing I also think is a big difference between the two companies, is that with Disney they have a lot more room to create seperation between the lands and the themese. Yes...This is blended in some areas, but I dont think Universal has the capability to do this. In Disney you arent on top of Harry Potter and looking at a bazaar or another land at the same time as much...That being said, its just my point of view and I think I am biased, but the overal feel and offerings of Disney just suits me more.

What you say is right. But, Disney hasn't stepped up their game in 10 years. They could...and we all are waiting. But, I'm talking about repeat families like me.
This could change but at the moment Harry Potter is number one on the list of things to see. From what I hear the HP expansion is a knock out.
I've already seen the Disney parks and rode all the rides. It's fun exploring the next big thing. That's exciting!
Disney doesn't have a next big thing on the horizon.

Fantasyland expansion will be fun and my family will love it. Looks beautiful and the themeing is a knock out.
My family has said, first park will be Harry potter. ( wife, her sister, my brother all want to see HP land before Disney this time)
That could change, my trip isn't until 2016.

td1129

What, no one incessantly bashing this person or calling it out for being "neither a rumor or news"? No one calling them a troll?

As someone who has never been to HP Land, all I can say is that I think you hear more about HP Land, but at the end of the day, most people who go to HP also go to WDW, but I don't think most people who go to WDW also go to HP.

I do have a related question for those who have been. I am curious about the rides. I know there is a dragon racer, and the Forbidden Journey ride. My question is, can you compare the rides at HP to one at Disney, in terms of thrill level? For example, is HP and the Forbidden Journey similar to...space mountain? Rock'n'roller? Toy Story?

CinematicFusion

Original Poster
Well, I read an article a few weeks ago of the top 10 theme parks worldwide. Disney took the top 8, with all four theme parks from Florida making the top 5-6 if I recall, the last two were Universal: 9-was Uni Japan and 10 was IOA but barely beating out Disney's California Adventure, which just got a major overhaul this year.

I see a lot of guests and have a lot of guests ask how to get to Universal just to see Harry Potter, but the few I see again when they are checking out agree that it looks great but is way too small and there's not enough things to do at Universal besides HPland to go again or even stay all day (recently had one guest say he considered both parks half day parks). So, who knows. I haven't been to Universal Studios since 2001 and everytime they get rid of attractions I liked and enjoyed, the less I wish to go back. And as far as IOA is concerned, personally, I can do two rides that don't infringe on either A-my fear of heights or B-the fact I wear a prosthetic (computerized leg + water = no more leg). That being said, I was NOT a fan of the HP ride. Waited 90+ minutes for it only to find out, halfway through the wait, that if a person wears a prosthetic they are not recommended to ride the ride. Seeing as I wasn't about to leave my group of friends and the locker situation was beyond terrible, I rode both freaking out and concerned for my leg.

In all, it's a nice theme and design but nothing I'm going to be going back to anytime soon.

I agree with what you are saying.
My family hasn't seen it yet, and with the additional expansion to potter which should be done at the time of our family trip plus the fact Disney might not have anything new by 2016... HP becomes a first choice. Universal gets a chance to prove themselves as a theme park.

After that, if I'm not impressed with universal...then Disney becomes first choice again.
I love Disney...I love the next big thing more. HP is the next big thing I haven't seen yet...and they are expanding it. Im all about riding new and exciting rides.

I'm excited about seeing the new fantasyland...HP just gets the top billing for now. That might change come 2016.

Crush Dude!

I agree with what you are saying.
My family hasn't seen it yet, and with the additional expansion to potter which should be done at the time of our family trip plus the fact Disney might not have anything new by 2016... HP becomes a first choice. Universal gets a chance to prove themselves as a theme park.

After that, if I'm not impressed with universal...then Disney becomes first choice again.
I love Disney...I love the next big thing more. HP is the next big thing I haven't seen yet...and they are expanding it. Im all about riding new and exciting rides.

I'm excited about seeing the new fantasyland...HP just gets the top billing for now. That might change come 2016.

CARSLAND....... :D

Crush Dude!

how do you know you havent seen the plans yet...lets give it a chance

Oh i am and im looking forward to seeing what wdi can do with Pandora but, they are entirely different concepts! One was an original land that came as close to being built as anything in history, Pandora is lifted from a movie!

cynic710

yeah, HP is fun, even for someone like me who has no clue about the story, as i never read the books and only saw a portion of one of the movies. But nonetheless, universal is still in the process of replacing iconic rides to maintain a present attraction with themeing. For instance, back to the future, jaws, king kong and earthquake have all be replaced to generate new buzz about "riding the movies". So what happens when the harry potter world isnt as interesting anymore? all this heavily themed stuff is great now, but it will get old, and then what?

thats my arguement to the disney vs. universal world, disney is built to stand the test of time with iconic and irreplacible themes that generation after generation will want to experience. universal had that in jaws, back to the future, etc. and though the rides got dated, they still represented the best of universal. imho they blew it on that front and to maintain any sort of fight with the disney brand will be a forever uphill battle.

CinematicFusion

Original Poster
As someone who has never been to HP Land, all I can say is that I think you hear more about HP Land, but at the end of the day, most people who go to HP also go to WDW, but I don't think most people who go to WDW also go to HP.

I do have a related question for those who have been. I am curious about the rides. I know there is a dragon racer, and the Forbidden Journey ride. My question is, can you compare the rides at HP to one at Disney, in terms of thrill level? For example, is HP and the Forbidden Journey similar to...space mountain? Rock'n'roller? Toy Story?

I think you are right. I've never been to universal. Went to islands of adventure once and though it was good.
I'm big on everything Disney and I root for them to be number one.
However with the rumors of the expansion to HP and the talk of it being amazing. I can't help but not want to experience that land. A new stunning mine train coaster and the forbidden journey ride. Two eticket attractions I havent seen yet.
That and I don't have a choice...my wife is a huge Harry potter fan.

Fantasy land will be wonderful but not sure the attractions will be amazing. From what I hear, they are solid c ticket rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom