Wishes for short people!

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
If you notice the "back"(front) is a lot more detailed as well with all the stained glass etc being it is actually the front. It was done this way at WDW because to have it over looking it's kingdom (which makes total sense) not just because it looked better like Walt wanted at Disneyland. But I'm sure that played a part in it as well for nostalgia reasons. ;)

Im having trouble finding anything to back this up. It just sounds too much like a story/rumor that gained some traction, like the many others. It makes little sense both architecturally and otherwise. The castle's kingdom is not just fantasyland, but the entire Magic KINGDOM. It's the middle of a kingdom which includes Main Street. The moat is in the front of a c astle, the drawbridge is in the front of a castle, it's tallest tower would be placed in front, the giant wooden castle gates (literally, it's front doors) are on the side facing Main Street. The metal gate that can be lowered to keep out intruders are on the side facing Main Street. The mosaics, telling the story of Cinderella, are in chronological order if you enter through the front of the castle.

Furthermore, Fantasyland was intended to be located within the castle walls behind the actual castle.

The backside (as a front) is too bulky and front heavy to have ever been intended to be the front. It makes the castle as a whole have a bizarre shape that makes little sense aesthetically.

If you have anything besides a tour guide to support this I would love to read it. I find it intriguing to say the least.

Last edited:

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Im having trouble finding anything to back this up. It just sounds too much like a story/rumor that gained some traction, like the many others. It makes little sense both architecturally and otherwise. The castle's kingdom is not just fantasyland, but the entire Magic KINGDOM. It's the middle of a kingdom which includes Main Street. The moat is in the front of a c astle, the drawbridge is in the front of a castle, it's tallest tower would be placed in front, the giant wooden castle gates (literally, it's front doors) are on the side facing Main Street. The metal gate that can be lowered to keep out intruders are on the side facing Main Street. The mosaics, telling the story of Cinderella, are in chronological order if you enter through the front of the castle.

Furthermore, Fantasyland was intended to be located within the castle walls behind the actual castle.

The backside (as a front) is too bulky and front heavy to have ever been intended to be the front. It makes the castle as a whole have a bizarre shape that makes little sense aesthetically.

If you have anything besides a tour guide to support this I would love to read it. I find it intriguing to say the least.

The tour guide worked for MK that we had for almost 40 years and was "friends" with the Fairy Godmother and was also a long time VIP tour guide as well. She was the most knowledgable tour guide we have ever had on any tour at WDW. Also I have read this too before in several places before she had talked about this a few years ago. It is not a myth (as other things she said were myths and gave the correct info for those particular myths on the tour to debunk what several people had thought lol), and if I had the articles in front of me I would gladly share but I don't have them. I have talked about this with others that were long time CM's as well. And also on other forums and blogs over time I have seen it mentioned or talked about and no one has ever questioned the validity of it even CM's. Most usually agreed with this info. Sorry I cant give hard concrete proof as I would if I had it. :)

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Fair enough. It just contradicts how several elements of the castle were constructed such as those I mentioned previously, especially the placement of the front gates.

If I had to guess, this story has it's genesis from Disneyland's castle being flipped and it went from there.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Fair enough. It just contradicts how several elements of the castle were constructed such as those I mentioned previously, especially the placement of the front gates.

If I had to guess, this story has it's genesis from Disneyland's castle being flipped and it went from there.

I understand all your points of course but she gave all other correct info and don't see why she would spread one myth with all the other many factual tidbits. Lol Guess we will never know as I like you can't find anything saying its false, and can not find anything saying its correct either. Lol. :cat:

MaryJaneP

Math seems to favor being as close to fireworks as possible so tall person in front of you does not block stuff that happens well overhead. This seems to mean being in Fantasyland behind (or in front) of castle and looking up. You already know about the Poly viewing point (congrats). We also like the alternate views afforded at CR on the 4th floor mezz and at Cali Grill. Are you DVC because BLT also should be in the discussion.

Disney Stine

I'm just under 5'0" so I totally get your struggle. It's incredibly hard to predict what your view will be like until the actual show begins because people tend to put up their ipads and children at the very start of the show! So you never know who is in front of you. I look out for the fellow short people and try to stand behind them. I also end up sort of swaying from side to side (to catch a glimpse of the fireworks and avoid the heads in front of me) from where I'm standing. After the first couple of seconds, you'll find that sweet spot! This was probably barely any help. But I definitely feel for you and your sister. :(

graphite1326

Math seems to favor being as close to fireworks as possible so tall person in front of you does not block stuff that happens well overhead. This seems to mean being in Fantasyland behind (or in front) of castle and looking up. You already know about the Poly viewing point (congrats). We also like the alternate views afforded at CR on the 4th floor mezz and at Cali Grill. Are you DVC because BLT also should be in the discussion.
You are obviously over average height. Let me ask the shorter people here. How many times have you found a great place to stand or sit depending on what you are doing, only to have an over 6 foot person come in at the last minute and block your view? AND often it is up front.

pajammies

4'10" over here - or should I say - down here. :confused:

My wife is 4'10 1/2...

I'm 4'10 3/4, so I guess you have me beat (or not beat;))
The problem obviously comes when someone stands right in front of you, we are mostly looking *up at the fireworks, but since it's so packed, a person right in front of you can make it hard to see. There is the show on the castle that requires a more straight ahead view (I love that castle show) and that is when I'm bobbing and weaving to see.

habuma

I'm not as short as some discussing this issue, but I'm not all that tall either...5'6"...and I struggle with this. But worse, my kids struggle with it. No matter how awesome of a spot you stake out to see Wishes, someone will be in front of you who is 6'+, carrying their child on their shoulders, holding a balloon. We've reached a point where my kids don't even like to stick around for Wishes because they can't even see it.

The train station viewing is one option (I really enjoyed seeing FoF from their this weekend), but it's not a great option because it's not as easy to enjoy Celebrate the Magic that far back. And let's face it...the fireworks are better viewed near the castle (albeit not too close or else you'll only see the higher fireworks). We've also done the Pirates & Pals cruise, which was a wonderful way to view Wishes, but I still enjoy seeing it from the hub.

I'm not sure there is a good solution here. I suppose I could train my children to walk on stilts, but I'm not sure those would get past security screening.

cslafferty

Original Poster
I'm 4'10 3/4, so I guess you have me beat (or not beat;))
The problem obviously comes when someone stands right in front of you, we are mostly looking *up at the fireworks, but since it's so packed, a person right in front of you can make it hard to see. There is the show on the castle that requires a more straight ahead view (I love that castle show) and that is when I'm bobbing and weaving to see.
Yes, I'm mainly thinking about Celebrate the Magic (castle show) right before the fireworks. My sister has never seen that or Wishes before, and I want her to be able to see it. Once the fireworks start, I usually bob and weave until I find a spot in between heads. I always feel bad for my DH (6 feet) who always feels like he should half squat through the show so he's not blocking the view for someone!

cslafferty

Original Poster
I was looking at an aerial view of the new hub design, and noticed wedges of green space in between the two circle walkways. I thought maybe if we stood along the back edge of one of those so no one could stand RIGHT in front of us if that would be a good spot or not. Havent been since they redesigned the hub.

Noellikechristmas

5' here myself......... You've already seen them from the poly, but IMO that's the best spot. Sitting outside at trader sams with a fruity drink in hand :hungry::D

interested in how hard it is to get a spot at the railroad station

jloucks

What is going on?! Are ornery tall people pushing you off the rope?! That's horrible. I'd push back!

I am 6'3 and tend to pick out viewing spots early. People arrive late and then groan when I shift 2 inches because my legs are killing me.

Sympathy level negligible.

That being said, I will let kids in front of me. Not parents, it is not a free for all pass.

Matt_Black

What is going on?! Are ornery tall people pushing you off the rope?! That's horrible. I'd push back!

I am 6'3 and tend to pick out viewing spots early. People arrive late and then groan when I shift 2 inches because my legs are killing me.

Sympathy level negligible.

That being said, I will let kids in front of me. Not parents, it is not a free for all pass.

Short people are always trying to take advantage of tall people.

"Hey, could you get that thing on that high shelf?"
"You know there's a stool right next to you?"
"*sad eyes*"
"... Fine."

But do they ever reciprocate?

"Hey, I dropped something under the table. Could you get it for me? I'm large and ungainly, and getting under there is quite awkward."
"Bite me, Gigantor!"

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I'm 5'2 and I typically stand near where you're describing. Just something to consider, but if your main concern is Celebrate the Magic you could always stake out your spot for Wishes where you normally stand and then move up closer to the castle for the second showing of Celebrate the Magic! I've never had a problem getting close to the castle for the second showing and you run very little risk of being blocked! Hope you all have a great trip :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom