Winners say 'no thanks' sometimes

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

Beth Kassab
Sentinel Staff Writer

February 28, 2007

For some visitors, Walt Disney World's "Year of a Million Dreams" giveaway is a reason for a million excuses.

The yearlong campaign bestows randomly selected guests at the resort with prizes such as a night in Cinderella Castle, but some folks say "no thanks."

"Sometimes, believe it or not, which I can't understand, people say, 'Nah, I'm leaving tomorrow or I don't want to move my stuff . . .' " said Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo. "We have had some guests for whatever reason say that they couldn't do it, so we go to the next person."

Rasulo said he doesn't know exactly how many people have turned down the prizes that range from a stay fit for a princess in the castle to much smaller giveaways such as free popcorn or a pass to the front of thrill ride lines, but "it does happen."

While giving up a night in the castle may be unfathomable to parents of young princess wannabes, Disney has a backup plan for when it happens.

Another winner is simply selected at random.

"It's the most complicated, complex mathematical system you can imagine," Rasulo said of the process developed for Disney by an outside firm.

Each day the system pinpoints an exact location -- such as the seventh person to exit a specific show at the Magic Kingdom -- and whoever is at the right place at the right time wins the prize.

The campaign started last year with more than 1 million prizes, some worth tens of thousands of dollars apiece, such as time-share contracts and trips halfway around the world.

On average, 1,700 to 3,000 prizes big and small are given out on a daily basis, said Disney spokesman Jacob DiPietre.

Beth Kassab can be reached at bkassab@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5448.

SewIn2Disney

I still can't believe saying no...but to each his own.

If you turn down something big, do they offer you something else, even if it is something small? I guess there are situations where someone would have to turn it down, but I would feel horrible saying no.

And....finally....something from the Sentinel that isn't negative towards disney!!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
There are circumstances where you'd have to say no. Booked to fly home that evening and squeezing in a last day at the parks and they come to offer the suite? Love to... but it'll cost me possibly thousands to re-schedule my flights or I have to be at work tomorrow for an important meeting only I can handle?

Any number of scenarios come to mind.

mickster

It actually doesn't surprise me that people turn this down. I think it would be kind of a pain to be all settled into your hotel and then suddenly have to move everything to another hotel room just for one night. I think if the prize was maybe 3 or 4 nights in the Castle, it would be much more appealing to people. Plus, I question to what degree the vast majority of guests have really ever "dreamed" of spending a night in Cinderella Castle.

Figment82

If you're a cast member you have to say no - imagine getting selected to stay in the castle suite and having to tell them you couldn't. Oh that would kill me...

Though I can see how situations would arise that would force people to reject the prizes, as unthinkable as it seems.

Legacy

You mean to say that Disney isn't the be-all-end-all the Internet makes it out to be?

Shame on those people for not worshipping the company. They should be burned at the stake for heresy.

mkepcotmgmak

You mean to say that Disney isn't the be-all-end-all the Internet makes it out to be?

Shame on those people for not worshipping the company. They should be burned at the stake for heresy.

lol - at least it gives someone a chance that would truly appreciate it!

arielbabe

i can understand why people would turn down the night in the castle but the free popcorn ect and the passes to the front of ride lines confuses me

ToTBellHop

I don't blame people...honestly a stay at the castle suite ends up pretty much taking up your whole day. If I spend thousands of dollars on a vacation, I'd honestly rather spend that time on rides, not being paraded around as one of the million people who can apparently now die happy b/c their greatest dream has come true. Honestly, after the novelty of the suite wore off, I'd probably be bored by it. I think, however, the people turning away smaller prizes like free churros just don't understand the concept of the YoaMD (who does?) and think that somewhere Disney will want them to sign on the dotted line. Honestly, if I won a night in the suite, I'd want them to leave me alone--let me do my thing, and when I'm done for the night, I'll head up to the castle. For families that may only go to WDW once every few years (or less), giving up a day may not seem reasonable.

This is one of the turn offs of the YoaMD. Lots of people want to explore WDW on their own, not have time planned out by "dream planners" trying to get their quota of publicity shots.

maelstrom

I honestly don't think I'd want to spend a night in the castle. The Mickey Mouse suite at the Disneyland Hotel appeals to me much more.

Unplugged

It seems pretty realistic to me that if they "surprise" someone on the spot with the castle stay, they would get a lot of no's. I would have to consider it seriously. If it were my last day, no thanks. If it were earlier during our trip, what do we have planned? You can't just leave the room to go walking around the park at night. They should have temporarily named it Repunzel's Castle as you you'd have to escape your confinement by your hair. I know, I know; 24 hour concierge, prestige, etc., etc.

Additionally, I'm not moving all of my things, then moving back. My son is under 2. This would be a mess for us and stressful for him. I can't even imagine how many guests with multiple children or special needs would deal with it. If we had to move everything, then I'd expect reimbursement for the lost night in the resort that was paid for. (Keep in mind there are many guests staying off-property as well.) Seems to me the stay should indeed be 3-4 nights as a return vacation. On the spot room changes are a mess. I know as I travel on business regularly. You get settled and you simply cannot or do not want to move. Additional decor of the castle will honestly have little impact on the reality of the effort.

There are definitely a Million Excuses for every one of those Million Dreams. In all reality, it is a wonderful prize in theory, but only as it applies to a very limited number of families. Typically revolving around good health, mid -vacation, no prior-plans for the evening in place, at least one child is a little girl unless you can put a spin on it to interest the boys (I'd have to).

Prizes are nice, but when you "win" a prize after not having entered a contest, you may not be able or prepared to be a winner.

bayoutinkbelle

To each his own, I suppose. If I were lucky enough to get tagged for a night in the Castle, I wouldn't hesitate to say yes. I can throw some essentials in a bag and survive for one night without all my luggage.

dave1105

"Sometimes, believe it or not, which I can't understand, people say, 'Nah, I'm leaving tomorrow or I don't want to move my stuff . . .' " said Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo. "We have had some guests for whatever reason say that they couldn't do it, so we go to the next person."

It is hard to believe that they would not take care of moving your stuff for the night. I also wondered whether or not they would credit you for the room you didn't stay since I am sure they will give a tax form for the value of the night at the castle.

MouseMadness

Well, the stay in the suite makes sense, but I wonder about the other stuff.

Has anybody turned down the popcorn? :lol: :shrug: Maybe they are counting carbs. :shrug:

Rob562

I've read online that at least when the promotion started, people were turning down the Dream Fastpasses and ears and lanyards because they thought there was a "catch", that Disney was trying to sell them something or they'd have to sit through a timeshare presentation or take a survey. They couldn't believe that Disney would give things away for free. :p

-Rob

JLW11Hi

It seems pretty realistic to me that if they "surprise" someone on the spot with the castle stay, they would get a lot of no's. I would have to consider it seriously. If it were my last day, no thanks. If it were earlier during our trip, what do we have planned? You can't just leave the room to go walking around the park at night. They should have temporarily named it Repunzel's Castle as you you'd have to escape your confinement by your hair. I know, I know; 24 hour concierge, prestige, etc., etc.

Additionally, I'm not moving all of my things, then moving back. My son is under 2. This would be a mess for us and stressful for him. I can't even imagine how many guests with multiple children or special needs would deal with it. If we had to move everything, then I'd expect reimbursement for the lost night in the resort that was paid for. (Keep in mind there are many guests staying off-property as well.) Seems to me the stay should indeed be 3-4 nights as a return vacation. On the spot room changes are a mess. I know as I travel on business regularly. You get settled and you simply cannot or do not want to move. Additional decor of the castle will honestly have little impact on the reality of the effort.

There are definitely a Million Excuses for every one of those Million Dreams. In all reality, it is a wonderful prize in theory, but only as it applies to a very limited number of families. Typically revolving around good health, mid -vacation, no prior-plans for the evening in place, at least one child is a little girl unless you can put a spin on it to interest the boys (I'd have to).

Prizes are nice, but when you "win" a prize after not having entered a contest, you may not be able or prepared to be a winner.

This is one of the turn offs of the YoaMD. Lots of people want to explore WDW on their own, not have time planned out by "dream planners" trying to get their quota of publicity shots.

Ok, well obviously you guys aren't the ones suited for this particular prize. Which doesn't really matter considering that only one family is chosen out of the thousands of guests that come to the resort each day. There's at least one familiy out there with children (boys and girsl) who would love to spend one night in the castle, without worring about moving their stuff or missing out on something else. Its only one night anyway, so its not like you have to bring everything with you from your hotel.

And its not like they are forcing you to do anything. They're offering people free stuff. If you don't care and just want to get in line again for Space Mountain, I don't think the dream planners are going to be upset if you say "no thanks" and just keep moving. What's there to be turned off by?

PurpleDragon

Well, the stay in the suite makes sense, but I wonder about the other stuff.

Has anybody turned down the popcorn? :lol: :shrug: Maybe they are counting carbs. :shrug:

Some people may not like popcorn. I personally am not a huge fan of it myself, only time I eat it is occasionally when we go to a movie I'll steal some of my wifes.

But as far as people turning down dream fast passes, I could understand that, for the same reason as turning down the castle suite. If its their last day and they have to pack and be at the airport in a few hours, they may not have the time to use the FP, or as others said they may think there is a "catch" and don't want any part of it.

All in all it just goes to prove that YoaMD is not as successful as people would like to think, since many people don't understand what it is. They were gonna come anyway, they aren't there for the celebration. :rolleyes:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
There are definitely people who'll think there's gotta be a catch and say no.

Last year, DS and I were at AK when Everest was in soft openings virtually full time, we rode 18 times over two days of visits to AK. I overheard a family telling their children that they couldn't go on it because it was "only for special guests". The kids seemed genuinely disappointed, so I ventured over to tell the parents that, in fact it was open to anybody in the park and DS and I had already ridden five times that morning. Then they asked "Well how much extra did that cost?" I said nothing, it was free and they refused to believe me. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom